CenturyLink/SlingBox/Roku?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Default CenturyLink/SlingBox/Roku?

Looking to install some TV service WITHOUT subscribing to cable, satellite or attic antenna. I plan to send my ATT U-Verse service down to The Villages via the internet on a Slingbox and use it on a Roku device in The Villages.
Anybody doing this currently? And, is the 10Mbs CenturyLink internet connection good enough for video streaming? (BrightHouse internet isn't available in my area, and Comcast internet wants to add a lot of junk). Since I'm paying for ATT U-Verse service up north (expensive, but far superior to anything available in The Villages), I would really like to "placeshift" it down here. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Looking to install some TV service WITHOUT subscribing to cable, satellite or attic antenna. I plan to send my ATT U-Verse service down to The Villages via the internet on a Slingbox and use it on a Roku device in The Villages.
Anybody doing this currently? And, is the 10Mbs CenturyLink internet connection good enough for video streaming? (BrightHouse internet isn't available in my area, and Comcast internet wants to add a lot of junk). Since I'm paying for ATT U-Verse service up north (expensive, but far superior to anything available in The Villages), I would really like to "placeshift" it down here. Any comments or suggestions?
My CenturyLink Internet connection is only 6Mbs here in Marion County, Village of Chatham. I have seen CenturyLink around working on new wiring in our area, but as of a few minutes ago, I'm only getting:

The Villages Florida

Even with 6Mbs I have no trouble with Netflix

Xavier
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 PM

I think it just depends on where you are located in The Villages. I consistently have more than 12 mbps at my home with CenturyLink, but I am in an area that CenturyLink has fiber to the home. If your home is in an area that has fiber to the home, you should have no problem. If it is an older area, you may need to check with neighbors to find out what the speed is like in your neighborhood. I believe they are upgrading in some areas, but not sure where and how good the upgrades are.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Part time UK owner living in Duval. We get UK TV via a slingbox from home and it works very well - not quite 100% - sound and video very good. Comcast supply our internet
Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Question sling box

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg View Post
Part time UK owner living in Duval. We get UK TV via a slingbox from home and it works very well - not quite 100% - sound and video very good. Comcast supply our internet
The major bottle neck will be your "upload" speed on your ATT U Verse. You may be limited to non-HD service, because slingbox cannot send that much data up the "pipe".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.