CERT Volunteer Organization

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Default CERT Volunteer Organization

Anybody have any experience or information regarding this group?

Yes...I've looked at their website. I'm just looking for more personal input.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:48 AM

I am a member of CERT. I won't repeat what is on the web site except to summarize that it is a volunteer organization that is trained to supplement the fire department during emergencies (hurricanes, tornadoes, that sort of thing). In the absence of an emergency it supports the community through things like firefighter rehab and free CPR/AED classes.

There are requirements for meetings to attend and training to ensure that you are current with your skills, but you can otherwise participate as much or as little as you desire (and the requirements are flexible enough to accommodate snowbirds).

While there are many people in CERT who have, in their prior lives, been first responders of one sort or another, I am not one of them. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things and participating in community activities. If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsuallyLurking View Post
...While there are many people in CERT who have, in their prior lives, been first responders of one sort or another, I am not one of them. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things and participating in community activities. If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them.
Sounds very interesting and worthwhile. How would I look into it further...website?
Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM

Yes, the web site. At the top there is a link that says "Join CERT." That will get you started. The initial training course is offered in October and February (another link on the top, "CERT Member Training," has a page, "CERT Initial Training," that has details on the course, including when the meetings occur). I don't know if the October class is filled or not, but if you go through the application process you should find when the next opening is. Good luck.

Last edited by UsuallyLurking; 09-16-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: additional information about the initial training course; fixed typo
Old 09-16-2021, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

A friend of mine is a CERT trainer back home in Connecticut. If I had stayed up there I would've joined with her. It's a terrific program. In addition to emergency response situations, they also assist with scheduled community events with crowd control. For example if there's a big festival at a town fairground, you might see a couple of CERT volunteers organizing the parking crew to make sure there's enough space for people to get in and out of their parking spot safely.
Closed Thread

Tags
cert, input, personal, website, looked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.