Certain Teed Roof Shingles

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Default Certain Teed Roof Shingles

Has anyone else had a problem with failure of Certain Teed roof shingles? They cleaned my roof twice to remove algae stains under their 10 year warranty. Now all the grit is coming off and I need a new roof. Certain Teed is only offering new shingles and claim labor is only covered for 5 years. My roof is 9 years old,
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Call the villages warranty office. sorry, I don't have the number
Old 03-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with failure of Certain Teed roof shingles? They cleaned my roof twice to remove algae stains under their 10 year warranty. Now all the grit is coming off and I need a new roof. Certain Teed is only offering new shingles and claim labor is only covered for 5 years. My roof is 9 years old,
Sounds to me like they used high pressure to clean the shingles. They should always use a low pressure system. If it hadn't been The Villages warranty department doing the cleaning, Certainteed would have probably told you to go after whoever cleaned it incorrectly and damaged the shingles.

Never pressure wash your roof - Roof Refresh
Old 03-06-2019, 03:50 PM

I have and they will not intervene since the normal labor warranty is only for 5 years. Algae removal is covered for 10 years. Since the algae removal caused the roof failure, I feel Certain Teed should cover the full replacement cost. I have gotten replacement costs from 2 contractors with prices of $15,300 and $17,900. The shingle cost is only about $3000 of that total.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM

The cleaning was not done by The Villages but directly with CertainTeed's subcontractor. They claim to not use pressure washing. Apparently the cleaning chemicals reacted to the granule adhesion.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

I would threaten them with a lawsuit and go to Small claims which is 5000 limit.
Do one claim of 5000 for material and 2nd lawsuit for 5000 for the tear off and a third lawsuit for the installation.
The Judge will hear all the cases together.
If certain-teed recommended the contractor they are responsible for there errors also , i would name them in the lawsuit including the The Villages.
That will get you to 15000.00 good luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Big companies always seem to win.... Good luck!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Default You will not like my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
I have and they will not intervene since the normal labor warranty is only for 5 years. Algae removal is covered for 10 years. Since the algae removal caused the roof failure, I feel Certain Teed should cover the full replacement cost. I have gotten replacement costs from 2 contractors with prices of $15,300 and $17,900. The shingle cost is only about $3000 of that total.
You report your roof is ten years old. You report the labor warranty is five years. You report the shingle cost is 3,000.
You report that a replacement roof is just under 18,000.

Frankly I am bit surprised that Certain Teed is offering to give you new shingles rather than 1/10th the cost of the shingles as you've received 9/10ths of the warranted life. I would check to see if there are claims for a defective run of shingles with a settlement claim. It does not make sense for them to replace the shingles for you after nine years.

You have quotes of 15,300 and 17,900. As I understand your post it is 15,300-3,000 (shingles)=12,300 and 17,900-3,000 (shingles)=14,900. I would get another estimate and not mention that Certain Teed will supply the shingles at no cost to you. I would be very cautious of who you hire to do a roof.
Once you roof is off, your home is exposed. Then if the roofer says you will need new underlayment, gutters, flashing, vents etc-THEY GOCHYAH.

Personal BAD experience with a NOT FLORIDA ROOFER. We needed a roof. Went to get three or four estimates. Among them was Home Depo. I asked a friend? who had just gotten a roof and he highly recommended the guy he used. His guy was a bit higher than Home Depo but my friend? told me he was great. The job was TERRIBLE. We wnt through hell getting him to repair the LEAKS and repair the interior damage. Our original roof was not leaking. The granular coating was mostly gone and so I knew I would not last much longer.

AFTER THE JOB WAS COMPLETED WE RECEIVED A LETTER THAT IF WE REFERRED ANOTHER CUSTOMER HE WOULD PAY US, AS I RECALL, A THOUSAND DOLLARS AS A FINDERS FEE.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Default Only if you allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Big companies always seem to win.... Good luck!
My first name is DAVID. We all know the story of David vs Goliath.
If, the story is true, had David fought the battle that Goliath wanted and expected, David would have died and we would never have heard the story.

First you need to decide if the battle is worth fighting. It does take a lot of time. I've been to small claims court Twice in my life and both times it was against."big companies." In small claims court-your chosen battle ground, you have all the advantages.
The big company will be represented by an attorney as they are a corporation. Their atty is costing them roughly $300 an hour.
You need to be prepared, make sure you are suing the proper company. Make sure you have the name right etc. Make sure you have all the stones you might need.

ALL THREE TIMES, DAVID WON.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM

The shingle warranty is 30 years not 10. The roof is 9 years old. They first offered 9/30 of the shingle cost but upped it to full shingles. My argument is that they destroyed the roof with the cleaning. It was not just normal wear.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

I use Spray it and Forget it on my camp roof up N. Works great. I plan to spray it on my roof here. Spray it with a pump pressure sprayer. It works for about 3-5 years. I also use it on my asphalt driveway up N for mold and moss removal. Works great--driveway looks like brand new. Before I used it I had all kinds of moss and mold growing on my roof and driveway. Totally cured it.

Tags
roof, teed, shingles, years, grit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.