Changes due to all the building and growth

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Default Changes due to all the building and growth

It's our fourth winter here, we live here full time. I see much harder to get tee times, much heavier traffic, and many other changes that I have never noticed before when the snowbirds return. I think it's all due to the fact that we have grown exponentially in the home building, but not in shops, restaurants, golfing, amenties that should go with it...and I am getting quite concerned....your thoughts?
Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran member
Cool Changes

I, for one, agree. Started off as a renter for 5 years and now a FROG for the past seven. Although the summers aren't too crowded, yes, the winter season surely is. And now the with the winter climate seemingly colder in the Sunbelt, I recommend all you snowbirds go to Costa Rica next year. (Just kidding. Keep spending and buying to support local businesses. Maybe the ratio of amenities to population will balance some day. You think?)
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	coldgolf.jpg
Views:	6345
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	87750  
Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
It's our fourth winter here, we live here full time. I see much harder to get tee times, much heavier traffic, and many other changes that I have never noticed before when the snowbirds return. I think it's all due to the fact that we have grown exponentially in the home building, but not in shops, restaurants, golfing, amenties that should go with it...and I am getting quite concerned....your thoughts?
Imagine how much worse the traffic would be if "shops, restaurants, golfing, amenities that should go with it" did keep up with the "exponential growth in home building"!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,240 Posts

Quote:
Check out the Goldwingnut video's.

Rate of home growth and ratio of homes to amenities and commercial businesses has remained relatively constant.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
with the winter climate seemingly colder in the Sunbelt, I recommend all you snowbirds go to Costa Rica next year.
No need to go that far. With the exception of this winter, I spend my winter months just a three and a half hour drive away in southeast Florida where the temperatures are often a whopping 10-20 degrees higher than the frigid Villages.

Example: this morning it was 46 degrees in the Villages and 65 degrees in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I, for one, agree. Started off as a renter for 5 years and now a FROG for the past seven. Although the summers aren't too crowded, yes, the winter season surely is. And now the with the winter climate seemingly colder in the Sunbelt, I recommend all you snowbirds go to Costa Rica next year. (Just kidding. Keep spending and buying to support local businesses. Maybe the ratio of amenities to population will balance some day. You think?)
OK I will bite what is a FROG?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
OK I will bite what is a FROG?
Here till I croak.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Check out the Goldwingnut video's.

Rate of home growth and ratio of homes to amenities and commercial businesses has remained relatively constant.
Why disrupt the narrative with facts? Silly you.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here till I croak.
Thanks, who would have thought
Old 01-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Sage

Do wish someone would figure out how to expand Morse Blvd.

More and more cars will pass thru with no more capacity to be added.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
I am getting quite concerned....your thoughts?
We have lived here for five years and we are not at all concerned about the new growth. The Southern Area has some very nice amenities like bike paths that do not exist anywhere else in The Villages.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

We have been in TV fourteen and half years. Yes, lots of changes, building construction and it’s been fun to watch. Sumter Landing was new in 2006 and we were on a “waiting list” for a Villa in the village of Caroline. We were in our Villa and enjoying the village lifestyle when a devastating tornado hit The Villages and Lady Lake on Groundhog Day 2007. Homes two blocks from us were completely destroyed. You can Google for details but about 100 houses were rebuilt in The Villages along with Mallory Hill Country Club, a recreation Center, courtyard fences, etc. Just north of forty Villagers needed hospital treatment but no deaths in The Villages. Perhaps this say something about how well our homes are constructed. As I remember, nine deaths in Lady Lake and seventy or so total deaths across Central Florida from this tornado on Groundhog Day in 2007.

Brownwood was maybe in somebody’s imagination and there were no homes south of 466A when we moved to the Village of Hadley in 2009. We now live in a designer home where we were among the first to build south of 466A. We are Sunbirds who go North in the summer for a couple of months but happy Florida and Village residents.

OP, when more businesses become available south of 44 traffic on Morse Blvd. will remain “busy” during the winter months, lighter the rest of the year and the golf courses “busy” during the winter months and much lighter the rest of the year. Growth has its issues but I’m confident that The Villages will be up to the task in the future as it has in the past.

Traffic does seem a bit heavier on Morse Blvd. Some of the new traffic is Residents from the new Villages south of 44 coming up north to shop. Eventually, if we live long enough, we may be traveling south on Morse Blvd to shop down there. Because of COVID 19, we have some new golfers mostly on the executive courses. This pandemic too will pass and “normal” will return. One thing for sure, it will never be boring here in The Villages, Florida. Fore.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We have been in TV fourteen and half years. Yes, lots of changes, building construction and it’s been fun to watch. Sumter Landing was new in 2006 and we were on a “waiting list” for a Villa in the village of Caroline. We were in our Villa and enjoying the village lifestyle when a devastating tornado hit The Villages and Lady Lake on Groundhog Day 2007. Homes two blocks from us were completely destroyed. You can Google for details but about 100 houses were rebuilt in The Villages along with Mallory Hill Country Club, a recreation Center, courtyard fences, etc. Just north of forty Villagers needed hospital treatment but no deaths in The Villages. Perhaps this say something about how well our homes are constructed. As I remember, nine deaths in Lady Lake and seventy or so total deaths across Central Florida from this tornado on Groundhog Day in 2007.

Brownwood was maybe in somebody’s imagination and there were no homes south of 466A when we moved to the Village of Hadley in 2009. We now live in a designer home where we were among the first to build south of 466A. We are Sunbirds who go North in the summer for a couple of months but happy Florida and Village residents.

OP, when more businesses become available south of 44 traffic on Morse Blvd. will remain “busy” during the winter months, lighter the rest of the year and the golf courses “busy” during the winter months and much lighter the rest of the year. Growth has its issues but I’m confident that The Villages will be up to the task in the future as it has in the past.

Traffic does seem a bit heavier on Morse Blvd. Some of the new traffic is Residents from the new Villages south of 44 coming up north to shop. Eventually, if we live long enough, we may be traveling south on Morse Blvd to shop down there. Because of COVID 19, we have some new golfers mostly on the executive courses. This pandemic too will pass and “normal” will return. One thing for sure, it will never be boring here in The Villages, Florida. Fore.
Only here about a year and find the best shopping here is on 27/441 with new stores constantly opening.

Would be surprised if the same stores open in the South but who knows.

As a result for us we like being N of 466A.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Only here about a year and find the best shopping here is on 27/441 with new stores constantly opening.

Would be surprised if the same stores open in the South but who knows.

As a result for us we like being N of 466A.
Let’s hope south of 466A doesn’t become like 27/441
Old 01-19-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe the same number of people as years before (plus the new folks south of 44), and 'Rona' is keeping people from doing things outside the bubble? That could be why people are playing golf and shopping locally instead of taking trips to the coast, etc......
Closed Thread

Tags
due, building, winter, golfing, exponentially

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.