Changing times in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I'm a new resident - only 3 months - and to be honest - the jury is still out on whether I'll be staying. I cannot rave about life in The Villages. It's just okay - no better or worse. Perhaps for golfers, it's nirvana. I don't know about that. I admit that I drank the koolaid and bought into the whole "Village" concept and was lured by the promises of stuff to do. And..there is tons to do. But I'm giving it a year. Next June, there may be another house for sale.
Diane, thanks for sharing your opinion. Most of us love TV. For us personally, it's the best decision we've ever made. But TV isn't for everyone. I've certainly known people who tried life in TV, and it wasn't a good fit for them. Whether they wanted more privacy or to be closer to the ocean or to live in a smaller community or just missed their old neighborhood, whatever. It doesn't make you depressed or a bad person, and I don't think you'll scare anyone with your comments.

As far as the expansion of The Villages changing it's "character", even in our brief six years, there has been huge growth. But the clever design of each individual Village within a huge city, still makes us somehow believe we live in a small and friendly community.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Um, Gracie, you are not an old biddie. An old biddie is mean-spirited, jealous of those younger, healthier, richer, etc. An old biddie does her absolute best to make those around her feel inferior. BTW -- I've known old biddies who are in their 20s. It just happens that this go round I mentioned old biddies in their 60s and 70s. It ain't an age thing, it's a behavior thang.

Bucco, I've been here 7 years and have seen changes. There's more vitality with Baby Boomers buying here. At the same time, there's less patience. There are more houses that are being rented or standing empty for most of the year -- these folks purchased today to live here tomorrow. Works for them. When they're here, they're thrilled to be here and live every day here to the absolute fullest. (Frequently reminds me of a teen-age boy after his first sexual experience -- has no clue when to stop and give it a rest.) As Baby Boomers age and truly retire, I think things will go back to more of the way it was when I first moved here, except TV will be divided into North of 466, the North of 466A and the South side and that I truly hate to see. Villagers need to come together and be Villagers, not just members of a village or part of an area. That division is one thing I have found to be truly sad.
Good post and very very informative.

I was not aware that I should " stop and give it a rest." This will be a long long winter
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Spicy - The thought that comes to mind is "just who do you think you are " to make those comments. I did do due diligence before coming here. I am not making any threats or complaining about anything specific. My thoughts should not be of concern to you. I am not here to listen to your rant. I am not unhappy but wonder if this is right for me. I thank you to keep your personal attacks of me to yourself.
I have been a "lurker" here for a few years after I came to visit a dance teacher friend. I also taught AP English online. I think DianeM's comments are allowable. As one who had to read students comments from all over the world, I learned that discussion boards are powerful learning tools but they should not be used to abuse others personally, everyone should stay on topic.

Not this thread but other threads I have read here are similar. If we are in a retirement community we should all be adults and we should respect each other as adults.

If one is displeased, then one should be allowed to say so. There are no perfect worlds or communities, anywhere.

I am coming in October for 6 months, before I make a choice that The Villages is right for me or should I stay on Cape Cod. I am sure DianeM thought through what she was doing before she moved. With that said, reality often does not meet one's expectations, and that is all DianeM is saying.

JannD
Old 08-19-2013, 01:35 PM

I for one would like to know from someone with great insight why so many people can unfairly disparage the villages, name-call, moan, groan and constantly complain about so many things about our wonderful community, the Morses, the alligators, the weather...but when I try to defend our community and way of life here and give my own perspective, I am attacked and humiliated? Why do people want to just complain about this place when they live or visit here? To me, it makes no sense because it will just tend to bring down our quality of life if left to continue. If you dish it out you should be able to take it back in the form of a response.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
I have been a "lurker" here for a few years after I came to visit a dance teacher friend. I also taught AP English online. I think DianeM's comments are allowable. As one who had to read students comments from all over the world, I learned that discussion boards are powerful learning tools but they should not be used to abuse others personally, everyone should stay on topic.

Not this thread but other threads I have read here are similar. If we are in a retirement community we should all be adults and we should respect each other as adults.

If one is displeased, then one should be allowed to say so. There are no perfect worlds or communities, anywhere.

I am coming in October for 6 months, before I make a choice that The Villages is right for me or should I stay on Cape Cod. I am sure DianeM thought through what she was doing before she moved. With that said, reality often does not meet one's expectations, and that is all DianeM is saying.

JannD
That's what I taking about. Very well stated.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

We have lived in TV since August 2011. Before that in a nice neighborhood in Orlando. We love it here. We don't even golf, but there is such a great attitude for fun and fellowship and doing charity work and indoor and outdoor activities, not to mention entertainment at 3 different squares every night!

Works for us.....

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Sage

Don't see why someone saying that TV is not for them is a negative indictment. If it were for EVERYONE then prices would be even higher for new homes etc. TV is no different than anywhere you move. Sometimes you plant something in a new location and it thrives - sometimes you need to move it to a new location.

For us, 3 years almost and we have no thoughts of moving anywhere.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
We have lived in TV since August 2011. Before that in a nice neighborhood in Orlando. We love it here. We don't even golf, but there is such a great attitude for fun and fellowship and doing charity work and indoor and outdoor activities, not to mention entertainment at 3 different squares every night!

Works for us.....
We have done 3. Years and love it more every day. The larger it gets, the more wonderful opertunities come with the expansion.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Don't see why someone saying that TV is not for them is a negative indictment. If it were for EVERYONE then prices would be even higher for new homes etc. TV is no different than anywhere you move. Sometimes you plant something in a new location and it thrives - sometimes you need to move it to a new location.

Thank you
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Russ, don't you get tird of being right all the time? Only kidding. We have had one couple down for a look. He loved it and she hated it. So there ya go. Me and my wife love it here and that is very important to us.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
That's what I taking about. Very well stated.
Today I was contemplating whether to stay in MA and open a dance studio again or move, then I read the threads here. I think I'll come in October and open something to teach technology to Boomers. I am not tooting my own horn, but after working for Gates and training school teachers, I may have a new business in The Villages. Boomer Tech Visions

Bio is here
Dance Studio By Design

Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We have been here for 10 years and lived the lifestyle we chose while TV more than doubled in size. We were here befor TV had "critical mass" enough to attract national chains of any kind. Once that happened I believe it was sort of perpetual motion of growth begets more goods, shopping and services.

The beauty of TV is it's decentralized design of villages/rec centers/regioanl rec centers etc so there is no crush to use the facilities that in fact constitute the life style.

As TV heads toward being 3 times what it was when we built our home, we have no complaints and look forward to the evolution that adds to the quality of what we had 10 years ago through today.

Yes there is traffic, but is that not true of every where?

I think we are fortunate to enjoy the best of what larger populated areas enjoy without having to deal with the negatives that also seem to accompany large population centers.

Yes, TV has changed. Some things have gone by the wayside (buffalo/cowboy statues, new years at the squares, etc) but the final conclusion is TV is a great place to live and enjoy the latter years of one's life that is just not attainable in very many "retirement" venues.

btk
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
Today I was contemplating whether to stay in MA and open a dance studio again or move, then I read the threads here. I think I'll come in October and open something to teach technology to Boomers. I am not tooting my own horn, but after working for Gates and training school teachers, I may have a new business in The Villages. Boomer Tech Visions

Bio is here
Dance Studio By Design

Come on down and be sure to advertise on TOTV. This is a very nice location for tech support.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM

I think change and an evolving plan are a good thing. Just think what the world would have been like if it hadn't changed in the last 15 years. The Villages has changed to keep up with changing expectations, lets not forget the developer is running a business and if what they are doing was not what people wanted they will vote with their pocket book and buy elsewhere this also includes not buying pre-owned homes not being in demand
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please address the topic and not each other. Take personal disputes offline.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion about places and things. Others may disagree with your opinion but should not make their disagreement personal.

Numerous posts were deleted...let's get back on track.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.