Changing times in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Please address the topic and not each other. Take personal disputes offline.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion about places and things. Others may disagree with your opinion but should not make their disagreement personal.

Numerous posts were deleted...let's get back on track.

agree

Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Default I Love the Villages

I and most everyone here love the Villages, and we have lived many places in our lives. Anyone contemplating moving here should research it long and hard and spend quality time here. It is much easier and less expensive to do that then try to sell a home and move quickly again. The Villages and even Florida is not for everyone, but it is a wonderful place for most retirees. I for one thank the Morse family for creating such a wonderful place to live out our lives.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
agree

Agreed.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyCajunPugs View Post
I and most everyone here love the Villages, and we have lived many places in our lives. Anyone contemplating moving here should research it long and hard and spend quality time here. It is much easier and less expensive to do that then try to sell a home and move quickly again. The Villages and even Florida is not for everyone, but it is a wonderful place for most retirees. I for one thank the Morse family for creating such a wonderful place to live out our lives.
I have said many times, that I could come up with many many places I would rather live, than central Florida, BUT......

I would never move from The Villages because of the lifestyle. We love it here
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
Today I was contemplating whether to stay in MA and open a dance studio again or move, then I read the threads here. I think I'll come in October and open something to teach technology to Boomers. I am not tooting my own horn, but after working for Gates and training school teachers, I may have a new business in The Villages. Boomer Tech Visions

Bio is here
Dance Studio By Designy

Funny but MA has been on my mind a lot lately.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We have been here for 10 years and lived the lifestyle we chose while TV more than doubled in size. We were here befor TV had "critical mass" enough to attract national chains of any kind. Once that happened I believe it was sort of perpetual motion of growth begets more goods, shopping and services.

The beauty of TV is it's decentralized design of villages/rec centers/regioanl rec centers etc so there is no crush to use the facilities that in fact constitute the life style.

As TV heads toward being 3 times what it was when we built our home, we have no complaints and look forward to the evolution that adds to the quality of what we had 10 years ago through today.

Yes there is traffic, but is that not true of every where?

I think we are fortunate to enjoy the best of what larger populated areas enjoy without having to deal with the negatives that also seem to accompany large population centers.

Yes, TV has changed. Some things have gone by the wayside (buffalo/cowboy statues, new years at the squares, etc) but the final conclusion is TV is a great place to live and enjoy the latter years of one's life that is just not attainable in very many "retirement" venues.

btk
Well said, billethkid. The portion I highlighted is exactly what we tell friends when they ask if The Villages is crowded.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Come on down and be sure to advertise on TOTV. This is a very nice location for tech support.
I will I just have to figure out what it would be and of course find the advertising rates. Want to advertise a children's dance team event instead?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I have lived here about 13 years. Temp lived in Tampa for 3, but even then traveled here many times. I only tell that as a way of introduction....many here longer and shorter.

I have been struck by changes....

We have a thread concerning younger folks moving here (think I saw in 40's in one case). Not speaking of temp residents but homeowners.

We have a thread concerning whether another "retirement" community should have access to The Villages by golf cart.

I have noticed more of a resort attitude than a retirement attitude everywhere in the last few years. This is MY observation that people come here more and more to vacation.

There are rentals everywhere, and those who purchase homes have probably a fifty fifty chance of NEVER living here, just renting their property.

I am not passing any personal judgement,but in conversations many do.

What do folks think who have been here a few years think about all this. I NEVER could have predicted any of the few changes I mentioned years ago.
Things change. Opinions change.
Opportunities arise, or circumstances happen... and plans/ options change.

Numerous friends I know here intended to live here full time- they can't do that yet, things have happened.

I planned on moving to New Mexico solo- then I married again.
WE decided to retire to The Smokey Mountains- then we found The Villages.

We thought we'd only be free to be snowflakes for a few years- the opportunity arose to make it permanent quickly.

Hubby thought he'd retire- the company wants him to stay, so he commutes and DOES feel like he's in a resort when he's home.
I retired, when I never thought I'd have that luxury- and every day feels like I'm on vacation now. Incredible.
Just examples.

When we purchased 2 1/2 years ago, we did understand that a % of homes were available to those under 50 years of age. Perhaps that is something that wasn't in place originally, but that is today's (non-discriminatory) political correctness.
"Retirement" means different things to different people. I am a senior citizen (so they tell me) but I don't feel any different on the inside than I did at 40.
My body may be aging, but my core spirit is not- and as long as I have my wits about me, I believe it will stay that way. To me, that is natural.

I think it would not be surprising to find that there are many who feel the same way.
As to 'golf cart access from other retirement communities'.... it wouldn't bother me one way or another. I don't think it would harm the quality of my days.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The beauty of TV is it's decentralized design of villages/rec centers/regioanl rec centers etc so there is no crush to use the facilities that in fact constitute the life style.
And that's the brilliance of the Developer's unique vision! To develop a huge city with a zillion amenities, restaurants, and shopping opportunities, yet still make residents feel secure and able to identify with their own individual neighborhoods.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Diane, one thing I found that it is harder to find your niche here as a single. It takes longer and more effort than it does for a couple unless you're seriously outgoing and like to party a lot. I think for the first year I was here, I did almost everything myself. After some time, I found friends and activities that truly suited me. Give it your year. You may find that magic fit and, if you don't, you happen to have purchased in a community where it is pretty easy to sell and move. Either way, I wish you the best.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
I have friends who bought here twelve years ago and visited for just two weeks each year, renting it out in the busy season to defray running costs. They have now stopped renting it out and moved here. Maybe a lot of the "younger" buyers have the same plan?

I live in a neighborhood that was built around 2000 and most residents have been here since then. However, there have been a number of deaths/relocations in the past few years resulting in those in their 70's and 80's being replaced by people in their 50's and 60's. It has given the neighborhood new life and vigor.

The biggest change I envisage is the separation of The Villages from one amorphous area into several - especially now that development south of 466A is proceeding in leaps and bounds. Living north of 466, I doubt that I shall visit Brownwood more than once or twice a year; likewise, many living south of 466A may rarely visit Spanish Springs.

One sign of this change is the withdrawal of the airport shuttle from Spanish Springs. I expect it will start calling at Brownwood in the not-too-distant future.
I think the airport shuttle leaving only from Lake Sumter Landing is because of how many people need the door-to-door service and find that attractive, and the price for that short taxi ride from home to station is cheap. Also, they have more departures now, instead of adding a half hour to each one by picking up at two stations.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Diane, one thing I found that it is harder to find your niche here as a single. It takes longer and more effort than it does for a couple unless you're seriously outgoing and like to party a lot. I think for the first year I was here, I did almost everything myself. After some time, I found friends and activities that truly suited me. Give it your year. You may find that magic fit and, if you don't, you happen to have purchased in a community where it is pretty easy to sell and move. Either way, I wish you the best.
Thank you. I'm working at making my life. I have found a few things that I go to on a regular basis. I'm not a serious party animal but am usually outgoing. Push me and I will push back but seldom start something. Who knows what's in the cards - move or stay - but for now at least this is where my stuff and my pups are.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Great posts. Good reading. Thanks to all
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
we did understand that a % of homes were available to those under 50 years of age. Perhaps that is something that wasn't in place originally, but that is today's (non-discriminatory) political correctness.
Nothing to do with PC. It's a FLA housing law as far as I know.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM

We bought in 1988 and we were in our late fourties.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.