Charging my cart in the Finney Sawgrass Ezell area

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2023, 07:57 AM

We live in St. Catherine and drove to Lake Sumter and then to St. Timothy church at El Camino Real and back with our lithium Evolution cart with zero issues. Used about 55% of the charge. Having gone electric I highly recommend the lithium technology.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:11 AM

We live in Hammock at Fenney and have taken it to Sumters Landing and back and still had over a 50% charge left on our Evolution. The only comment I would make is don't trust the meter after 30%, it drops much more quickly below that.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 AM

You should have asked and taking a survey about what type of golf cart to buy. As the villagers get bigger you will not be able to travel an electric golf cart for a long distance. Gas was definitely the way to go.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthevillages View Post
there are no public charging stations within the villages. Perhaps you have a friend at the far end of your trip who could accommodate you.
lol
Old 01-24-2023, 09:26 AM

Even with our gas carts that get 250 miles on a tank of gas, after driving in it all day going here and there, we have not put over 25 miles. It would be extremely rare that you would ever get to the end of range in a day unless you were really trying to. The only exception would be at batteries end of life.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know, I don’t know if the public charging stations that you have to pay but I’m thinking eventually you will but I still liked my gas golf cart, it got almost 240 mpg & I never ever put in over 4 1/2 gal. in it & that was only twice. Electric carts are nice but lithium batteries cost in the range of $150. Eventually I really think EV owners will see that electric carts & cars won’t be as cheap as combustion cars & carts! You watch & see!
Old 01-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamo View Post
You should have asked and taking a survey about what type of golf cart to buy. As the villagers get bigger you will not be able to travel an electric golf cart for a long distance. Gas was definitely the way to go.
Brownwood to Southern Trace and back is about 30 miles. My new EV cart has an estimated range of 60 miles. I don't see any real limitation at this point.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-24-2023, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
I have a lithium cart I would like to test the range envelop on.
I think it would make a 40 mile trip easy.
But to ease my worried mind I would like to plug it in for an hour or two mid trip.
All I really need would be a 110v outlet that my 50' cord could reach.
If someone knows of one available...

Thank You
Are you trying to test it to the limit when it completely runs out of charge? If you do that you're going to have to have it plugged in for at least six hours. With that said I have a lithium battery golf cart and I know at 35 miles I am just went below 50% charge. Most of us are getting between 70 and 80 miles on a total charge.
If you go to the villages golf carts website on the top click videos. There are two videos where they do a test of the range of a lithium battery powered golf cart. The EZ go got 70 miles and the STAR got 80.2 miles.
There is no doubt this thread will be turned into a gas versus electric battle and ultimately the administrator will close the thread. So I might as well get my word in now. I love my electric golf cart. A lot of people talk about range with a gas powered golf cart. I can say every morning when I leave I have a full tank of "fuel". Maybe some to talk then about how much coal is used in the power plants that provide electricity. What they fail to do is talk about how much electricity goes into producing a gallon of gasoline? Those refineries have power substations dedicated just for them.
On the flipside my electric golf cart can use solar power to provide the electricity. All the solar panels in the world will not produce a gallon of gas.
I asked the salesman at the villages golf cart about the percentage of lithium powered golf carts that are being sold in the villages. He said over 40% of the sales are now lithium powered. He also said that of the 742 lithium powered golf carts they have sold in the villages not one of them has had to ever replace the battery. The battery is good for 4000 full charge cycles. That's 10.95 years if you drained it every single day. Since a full charge cycle represents about 70 miles of range… Before you need to replace the battery you would have driven that golf cart 280,000 miles in 10.95 years. So how many gas golf carts out there have over a quarter million miles on them?
Let the war begin!!!

Last edited by Vermilion Villager; 01-24-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Electric cart travel limit.

[QUOTE=Tyrone Shoelaces;2179010]I have a lithium cart I would like to test the range envelop on.
But to ease my worried mind I would like to plug it in for an hour or two mid trip.

Why don't you take a round trip of 30 miles one-way, then a 32? miler, then keep increasing until you get back home "scared?"
Old 01-24-2023, 10:20 AM

You didn’t say what cart you’re driving or if it’s a conversion.
I’m running a converted lead acid ClubCar with a 96ah lithium and Silver Wolf a/c motor with a top speed in excess of 30mph. My range with the higher speeds is in excess of 40 miles, and probably more than 70 if it was set to 20 mph.
I recommend carrying a tow rope or strap. I’ve run mine out of power once and it’s a teaching moment to learn the discharge rate on a lithium pack is very different than a lead acid setup.
I recommend you find that point of no return by having a buddy follow you in another cart and use the tow rope in case you need to tow your cart home or to the next outlet.

Side note, I’ve used my tow rope to help other cart drivers and 2/3’s of those tows were gas carts that broke down, not electric.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
I have a lithium cart I would like to test the range envelop on.

Thank You
While working at a regional rec center years ago, I allowed two residents access to an outside 110 volt outlet because their cart ran out of charge. I encouraged them to remove anything valuable before leaving it. the cart was gone the next day when I reported to work.

While this should not become common, wide-spread practice, I'm sure there are rec center whose directors would be happy to give a small boost to a stranded villager. I would.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I have gel batteries (no maintenance) and 40 miles is a no brainer. Most gas folks I know never exceed 40 miles a day (their butt is the determining factor). I'm not sure how many will even attempt Sumter to Middleton. Somewhere along this line, reality will set in.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know, I don’t know if the public charging stations that you have to pay but I’m thinking eventually you will but I still liked my gas golf cart, it got almost 240 mpg & I never ever put in over 4 1/2 gal. in it & that was only twice. Electric carts are nice but lithium batteries cost in the range of $150. Eventually I really think EV owners will see that electric carts & cars won’t be as cheap as combustion cars & carts! You watch & see!
I've witnessed fistacuffs over saving seats in the town squares. Can you imagine what will happen when they put charging stations in here.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
240 mpg is pretty awesome. Most gas carts get about 50 mpg. What is your secret.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I have gel batteries (no maintenance) and 40 miles is a no brainer. Most gas folks I know never exceed 40 miles a day (their butt is the determining factor). I'm not sure how many will even attempt Sumter to Middleton. Somewhere along this line, reality will set in.
I have done over 100 miles a couple times. Lots of fun and it is all about the miles.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, trip, charging, outlet, 110v

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.