Wi-FI for all....

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Default Wi-FI for all....

I was wondering why this site is so, so slow for the last week or so?

Also, I read this today---you guys who know more about computers---is this something that The Villages could look at?

FON offers free Internet around the world via a sharing program
What's the price of web surfing nowadays when you travel abroad? Whatever it is, Clark doesn't like to pay it! That's why he was excited in 2003 when he first heard about some vaporware from FON. This Spanish company now offers a router that allows consumers to share their Internet connection with travelers passing through their area. In return for sharing upfront, they too get free Internet around the world from other members when they travel. This is a big deal in Europe where British Telecom is installing 2.7 million FON routers across England. If you become a phone member here in the United States, you will routinely have access to free Internet when you travel overseas. So what's the cost? FON sells their router for a one-time fee of $40 -- that's it! Some cable and phone companies in the United States are hostile to this sharing model, but Time Warner is among those who have embraced it. Clark plans to order a FON router for his condo building in Florida and make his Internet connection available to his fellow residents for free. FON's routers even come with security so others can't eyeball your financial info. On a related note, The Los Angeles Times recently reported that both AT&T and Verizon reserve the right to fire customers if they say anything bad about them. Why should they monitor free speech? Clark thinks it's shameful what these monopolies are doing.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Wi-FI for all....

ditzyfitzy
This could be presented to TOTV in a seminar to explain the process and ramifications involved.....It could sweep the area........sounds fantastic...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I went to the FON website, it does sound fantastic, however there are currently zero USA subscribers. I'm not sure I want to be the first, there could well be support issues.
Just a thought. I'm all for free wireless internet though.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

It sounds as though only Time Warner (in the US) is open to the idea. I don't even know if TV has access to Time Warner. They might be a good source of info---if you do.
I'm sure that this is "in the future" as big business doesn't like to make things convenient or inexpensive for us. If it is such a "hit" in Europe---it won't be around here for about ten years unless we start a movement and DEMAND IT!
Is Time Warner available to TV?
Lynn
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM

I read in one of the newspapers that the Residents Council was suppose to be discussing free internet access for TV. Have not seen an update. Many towns through out the US are doing this.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Lee
I read in one of the newspapers that the Residents Council was suppose to be discussing free internet access for TV. Have not seen an update. Many towns through out the US are doing this.
I'm visualizing a nice strong unsecured internet signal being broadcast from the Mallory Hill post office and I receiving this signal with very small modest wireless antenna. Fantasy?? NO the technology has been here and available for a few years now. Please, someone smarter than I, take this technology and run with it.
Talk about a huge selling point or perk for living here :yikes:
Its long over due, our lives revolve around high speed communications, lets get with it!
Handie :joke:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.