Old 02-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Cities where the violent crime rate is soaring in every state in the US

Crime rate: Cities in every state in the US where violence is rising
6 murders in the Villages in 2017? I cannot think of more than 2 murders in the Villages in the last 15 years or so. Probably 20 years actually. Murder of Diana Miller - Wikipedia And the Glenbrook murder-suicide in 2014. Man, woman found dead inside home in The Villages

There are some rough areas, perhaps, now included in what is called the Villages because of expansion?

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-28-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Platinum member

You can inflate the numbers, very easy to do. Bunch of old folks arrested for battery and DUI
Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What I think that it's saying is that our violent crime rate was extremely low and now it's only low.

Five years ago we had about 160 violent crimes per 100,000 resident and now we have 234. A difference of 74 violent crimes per 100,000 residents.

In that same time period The Villages has grown by about 30,000 people and has expanded into Wildwood and Fruitland Park.

I have to wonder how many of those crime were in those cities.

In any event, 74 out of 100,000 is not very much.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
6 murders in the Villages in 2017? I cannot think of more than 2 murders in the Villages in the last 15 years or so. Probably 20 years actually. Murder of Diana Miller - Wikipedia And the Glenbrook murder-suicide in 2014. Man, woman found dead inside home in The Villages

There are some rough areas, perhaps, now included in what is called the Villages because of expansion?
TAl, your post is absolutely and completely accurate and I get so tired of people who do not know who, what or where The Villages IS, but claim to know a bunch of incorrect bad stuff about us. Makes me want to BITE.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The other murder was the young man in the bowling alley parking lot. You do have to consider that the article says the metro area, not just TV. Our crime rate is still incredibly low but we’re not crime free.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
The other murder was the young man in the bowling alley parking lot. You do have to consider that the article says the metro area, not just TV. Our crime rate is still incredibly low but we’re not crime free.
A forgot about that. I thought maybe they were bringing in statistics from Wildwood, Fruitland Park, Belleview, Dallas, Coleman, and Bushnell.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 PM

It seems impossible that these statistics even exist. We are not a "city" and we cover three separate counties. Just like STD statistics, they are reported by county and because we cover three counties, they do not exist. People can make statistics say whatever they want.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I reviewed the article, discovering that its statistics are macro, but not micro. I looked at Maryland where the article listed Towson, Baltimore and Columbia as a group. Each of these communities vastly differs from the others. Then, Baltimore City and Baltimore County actually would have very different statistics if looked at individually.

The California listing is also essentially meaningless....

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
It seems impossible that these statistics even exist. We are not a "city" and we cover three separate counties. Just like STD statistics, they are reported by county and because we cover three counties, they do not exist. People can make statistics say whatever they want.
Exactly. I just ran a foot race with my very athletic grandson. I finished second and he came in next to last.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Platinum member

Let's not forget that we are also the most dangerous place in America to trick or treat.

Safest & Most Dangerous Metro Areas for Trick or Treating - Security Blog
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
<snip> You do have to consider that the article says the metro area, not just TV. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
You guys are right on target. If these stats are to be believed at all, I feel they are for what is known as The Villages Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Villages MSA is what we know as Sumter County. Therefore, the stats would include Wildwood, Sumterville, Bushnell, Webster, etc.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

I do find it interesting that the Daily Sun is quick to point out whenever one of the stats for our MSA are positive, but never when it's negative like this!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

6% unemployment? Yea, right. Maybe 98%
Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Gold member

I am sure this is talking about The Villages Metropolitan Statistics Area (MSA) which includes most of, if not all of, Sumter County. It doesn't include Lake or Marion County portions of The Villages.

From Wikipedia (note that the community they refer to is The Villages)

"The community is the center of The Villages, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area, which consists of all of Sumter County; Lake County is included in the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area; and Marion County is included in the Ocala, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area."

Tags
check, crime, violent, rate, soaring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.