Check out number nine

Check out number nine

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Gold member

Let's not forget that we are also the most dangerous place in America to trick or treat.

Safest & Most Dangerous Metro Areas for Trick or Treating - Security Blog

Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
<snip> You do have to consider that the article says the metro area, not just TV. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
It seems impossible that these statistics even exist. We are not a "city" and we cover three separate counties. Just like STD statistics, they are reported by county and because we cover three counties, they do not exist. People can make statistics say whatever they want.
You guys are right on target. If these stats are to be believed at all, I feel they are for what is known as The Villages Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Villages MSA is what we know as Sumter County. Therefore, the stats would include Wildwood, Sumterville, Bushnell, Webster, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 01:38 PM

I do find it interesting that the Daily Sun is quick to point out whenever one of the stats for our MSA are positive, but never when it's negative like this!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

6% unemployment? Yea, right. Maybe 98%
Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

I am sure this is talking about The Villages Metropolitan Statistics Area (MSA) which includes most of, if not all of, Sumter County. It doesn't include Lake or Marion County portions of The Villages.

From Wikipedia (note that the community they refer to is The Villages)

"The community is the center of The Villages, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area, which consists of all of Sumter County; Lake County is included in the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area; and Marion County is included in the Ocala, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area."
Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Cities where the violent crime rate is soaring in every state in the US

Crime rate: Cities in every state in the US where violence is rising
If this is true, it is scary. If it is, why are we not hearing about it?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Imagine what the crime rate would be if they counted folks driving unregistered motor vehicles (i.e. "golf carts" that can go faster than 20mph).
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Imagine what the crime rate would be if they counted folks driving unregistered motor vehicles (i.e. "golf carts" that can go faster than 20mph).
Now that is nothing but a scary thought.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Had a college professor that said 'give me a subject with 2 sets of numbers and I'll prove or disprove anything about it you want.'

Actually, if you looked at the methodology used you would see that the statistics come from the UniformCrimeReporting files compiled by the FBI, supplied by police departments, in this case Sumter County Sheriff and Wildwood Police departments for the MSA of Sumter County, with that part of The Villages being located in the county designated as the largest population center in the MSA.

Although probably not a perfect reporting system, the UCR is heads above the data collected on crime by the Census Bureau where respondents are selected based on a sampling technique and a respondent may or may not provide complete and accurate data.
DISCLOSURE: I was a Census Bureau supervisor of a group that conducted crime, employment, and economic surveys.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Had a college professor that said 'give me a subject with 2 sets of numbers and I'll prove or disprove anything about it you want.'

Actually, if you looked at the methodology used you would see that the statistics come from the UniformCrimeReporting files compiled by the FBI, supplied by police departments, in this case Sumter County Sheriff and Wildwood Police departments for the MSA of Sumter County, with that part of The Villages being located in the county designated as the largest population center in the MSA.

Although probably not a perfect reporting system, the UCR is heads above the data collected on crime by the Census Bureau where respondents are selected based on a sampling technique and a respondent may or may not provide complete and accurate data.
DISCLOSURE: I was a Census Bureau supervisor of a group that conducted crime, employment, and economic surveys.
I am having trouble seeing how they got six murders in 2017 for the Villages?

Tags
check, crime, violent, rate, soaring