Check your Credit Card Statements

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
For instance, the bill comes to $19.93, I'd add $4.07 as the tip and that brings the total to $24.00. It makes it very easy to see something that might be amiss when I'm checking the bills.

I check my charge cards and banking accounts on-line daily. It has become such a routine that it takes me less than 5 or 10 minutes. I do this right after I check the obits up north to make sure I'm okay.

Xavier
GREAT IDEA! I'll start doing that too. Thanks. I do something similar when gassing up our two cars. When gassing my car I stop the amount on a 5 (i.e. $32.55); on my wife's car, I stop on a 2 (i.e. $32.52). That way when entering everything in Quicken, I can enter the amount spent on gas for each car without trying to figure out which car the amount was for.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Default Credit Card

I always check my statements....I found a double charges item just the other day for a bottle of wine....thanks for the info.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
GREAT IDEA! I'll start doing that too. Thanks. I do something similar when gassing up our two cars. When gassing my car I stop the amount on a 5 (i.e. $32.55); on my wife's car, I stop on a 2 (i.e. $32.52). That way when entering everything in Quicken, I can enter the amount spent on gas for each car without trying to figure out which car the amount was for.
Thanks for sharing. Good idea.

Xavier (never too old to pick up new tricks)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

Just pay cash. Very seldom do I have a problem that way.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Smile

sorry to hear people are cheating us...but glad to hear what I can do about it! thanks for the great advise.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblammon View Post
Today while I was checking my credit card statements with my receipts, I found two restaurants, one at Spanish Springs and the other at Sumter Landing, that charged more than I authorized. Called credit card company to inform them of this. They are going to investigate this claim. Please be sure and check your statements with your receipts. If you want the names of the restaurants, PM and I disclose the names to you.
Sent you a PM regarding the names of the restaurants, have yet to receive the information. Certainly would like to know the name of each restaurant that made unathorized charges on credit cards, this is a very serious matter, no one likes to be scammed out of their hard earned wages!!

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Just pay cash. Very seldom do I have a problem that way.
By using your credit cards judiciously you can maximize your money management by using a card that has just had the month's close date pass thus giving you a solid month before the next billing occurs. Then add the approx. 3 weeks allowed to pay the statement and low and behold you can get the credit card company to fund your purchase/purchases for a total of 7 weeks. Paying cash----a big no-no. Just my opinion.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
By using your credit cards judiciously you can maximize your money management by using a card that has just had the month's close date pass thus giving you a solid month before the next billing occurs. Then add the approx. 3 weeks allowed to pay the statement and low and behold you can get the credit card company to fund your purchase/purchases for a total of 7 weeks. Paying cash----a big no-no. Just my opinion.
Yes, keeping that money you get that great rate of .5% on your savings!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
You guys think like we do.

That's the way to do it. Then just pay a few credit card bills when they come due.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Yes, keeping that money you get that great rate of .5% on your savings!
Good point, except on my primary credit card I get 5% cash back on charges for fuel, pharmacy drugs, and groceries and 1% for everything else. It adds up. Last month they applied a credit of $402.00 toward my balance from my rewards total and I still have $353 yet to use. I can only use $500 of the rewards each year, but I can carry over the rest into the next couple of years. Don't get too excited though - they quit issuing this Platinum Rewards Card about 4 or 5 years ago, but grandfathered those of us who were in possession of it at the time. I do believe that Chase is running something similar, but with various restrictions.

Just think about the 5% on fuel - that's close to 20 cents off each gallon of diesel fuel. That helps me feel just a little less pain when I put 120 gallons in the motor home.

Another card that I have, the GM Card, pays 5% of each purchase towards my next vehicle. I am however limited to a total of $3,500.00 off of each vehicle that I buy then I start all over again. The new GM Card has new rules, but still worthwhile. GMAC is always trying to get me to switch from the old GM Card to the New GM Card. Not a chance!

If you can't pay off each card balance each month, I certainly wouldn't recommend their use at all.

Xavier
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
You guys think like we do.

That's the way to do it. Then just pay a few credit card bills when they come due.

Don't most credit cards charge somewhere around 15% to 24% interest on the unpaid balance? Why, in heaven's name, would you choose to pay that kind of interest instead of paying the balance off each month?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Don't most credit cards charge somewhere around 15% to 24% interest on the unpaid balance? Why, in heaven's name, would you choose to pay that kind of interest instead of paying the balance off each month?
I read that they were paying it off monthly. It just takes awhile til they have to pay with billing time.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
I read that they were paying it off monthly. It just takes awhile til they have to pay with billing time.
You read that correctly.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I think you misread what was written. The balances ARE being paid in full by the time they are due.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Xavier;459351]Luckily I've never had a problem in The Villages such as has been described here. When we dine out I always use my credit card, always put the tip on the bill and always make sure the total comes to an even dollar amount. For instance, the bill comes to $19.93, I'd add $4.07 as the tip and that brings the total to $24.00. It makes it very easy to see something that might be amiss when I'm checking the bills.

I do the same thing to. It makes it easier to remember but I keep all receipts until the CC bill is received. The suggestion of "IN CASH" in the tip line is great.

When writting out checks, I make sure there is a line before the amount witten. This does not allow anyone to change the amount on the check.
For instance, if a check is ten dollars, I don't leave room for someone to insert one hundred ten dollars. Someone at a bank gave me this tip and I never had a problerm.

We all need to be careful as some people are very inventive in thinking up scams.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.