Children Driving Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

We must remember that at our age a 14 year old looks really young !!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
I don't think that it's our job to enforce the law, but if we are put in danger then a conversation is in order. The Sheriff is the person to enforce this law. With 80,000 population and climbing, this will be even more prevalent in the future. Post some signs and indicate serious fines for violators. Just my opinion.
My opinion as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post

you can't fix stupid !
Correct. There is no cure for stupid and, as far as I know, no one is working on it.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage
Unhappy

We don't live in The Villages yet and for the past eight years, every time a kid fly's by in his car we smile and look at each other and say "I can't wait to get to The Villages" and now it seems that it's the same there, only with golf carts????

CRAP!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Sage

Here's a suggestion. Maybe when a Villager gets a guest pass for anyone under 14 years old, the Villager could be required to sign a form acknowledging that it's illegal for anyone under 14 to drive a cart, and stating that knowingly letting such guests do so will result in (some fine or suspension of Villager privileges).

Any thoughts? Does anyone know to whom such suggestion should be sent?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
We don't live in The Villages yet and for the past eight years, every time a kid fly's by in his car we smile and look at each other and say "I can't wait to get to The Villages" and now it seems that it's the same there, only with golf carts????

CRAP!
Sadly, it is not only the "kids" flying by..it's the adults in the souped up carts and street legal carts that fly by.....

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Sadly, it is not only the "kids" flying by..it's the adults in the souped up carts and street legal carts that fly by.....
SOUPED UP GOLF CARS. PLEEEEZZE LOOK for traffic BEHIND you BEFORE you pass the slower Golf Cars. IF you are going to pass others who are legally using the golf cart lane....PLEEEZZZZEE use arm signals in addition to the tiny blinker lights.(usualy covered by enclosure OR golf towel flapping around.....if even used at all)....before you enter the traffic lane. END OF RANT.......
Old 07-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
I don't think that it's our job to enforce the law, but if we are put in danger then a conversation is in order. The Sheriff is the person to enforce this law. With 80,000 population and climbing, this will be even more prevalent in the future. Post some signs and indicate serious fines for violators. Just my opinion.
This has nothing to do with enforcement. Certainly that's a job for law enforcement, but this is a situation where someone can get killed. I have to say something. Maybe it won't change a thing but I can't ignore something as stupid and dangerous as this. If I don't speak up and the worst happens, I don't think could ever forgive myself.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Pturner
That's a very good idea. When people have to read and sign that they have liability for their actions, it very well make a dent in the problem. Also, there is a FS traffic law stating it is illegal to allow unauthorized persons to drive a vehicle.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Location: south jersey, wyandotte Mi, north jersey, monmouth county nj
Default children driving golf carts permits

It should be mandatory that along with getting a guest pass, the villages issue a temporary permit for children over 14 to drive golf carts. This permit should be "posted on front window" of cart. The center should be allowed to ask for age verification (birth certificate) to assure all info is true.

Too stringent? If you have been reading how adults have had accidents (some fatal), you will not think so. We all love our children/grandchildren, why not issure their safety?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
It should be mandatory that along with getting a guest pass, the villages issue a temporary permit for children over 14 to drive golf carts. This permit should be "posted on front window" of cart. The center should be allowed to ask for age verification (birth certificate) to assure all info is true.

Too stringent? If you have been reading how adults have had accidents (some fatal), you will not think so. We all love our children/grandchildren, why not issure their safety?
Can't legislate stupidity.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy For the Record

For the record..I did stop and mentioned to the adult in the cart that a child under 14 should not be driving. There was no response and they just drove off with the young child driving. I believe a Sheriff deputy should be riding the golf cart paths and taking actions when there is such direct disregard for "good sense".
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
SOUPED UP GOLF CARS. PLEEEEZZE LOOK for traffic BEHIND you BEFORE you pass the slower Golf Cars. IF you are going to pass others who are legally using the golf cart lane....PLEEEZZZZEE use arm signals in addition to the tiny blinker lights.(usualy covered by enclosure OR golf towel flapping around.....if even used at all)....before you enter the traffic lane. END OF RANT.......

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Founder

I'm curious. Individuals must be 14 to operate a golf cart. Operate a golf cart WHERE? I understand operating on the street, but, how about on private land? Around your yard? On privately owned cart paths? Out in a field?

On privately owned land, who has authority to charge somebody with an offense? What can they be charged with? What law?

I am in total agreement that people who allow their little ones to operate golf carts on paths, in the street or on the golf course are mentally deficient. I have always been the leader in the battle cry against this dangerous and stupid practice.

My only question is, is any of this enforceable? I think a judge would throw out a citation if the cart was being operated on private land.

State law says: "....A golf cart may not be operated on public roads or streets by any person under the age of 14."

And, what about child safety restraints. Have you ever, ever, ever seen an infant in a safety seat while riding in a golf cart in The Villages. I'll bet not.

The Florida attorney general says: "...it would appear that when golf carts are authorized by municipal ordinance to be operated on city streets, the Legislature has not required that the operator comply with the safety restraint requirements in sections 316.613 and 316.614, Florida Statutes. It may be advisable, however, to seek legislative clarification on this matter, given the great concern for the safety of motor vehicle operators and passengers."
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
And, what about child safety restraints. Have you ever, ever, ever seen an infant in a safety seat while riding in a golf cart in The Villages. I'll bet not.

Sadly yes I have. Two adults with a child seated between them and a baby in a car seat facing sideways on the floor of the golf cart. I have trouble trying to understand what people may have been thinking to do something like that.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.