Chili Cook-off & No Dogs Suggestion

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Gold member

Nest time charge $10 then all of the freeloader will not show up, and there will be no lines to enter - only a line of people exiting when they find out it $10 to enter
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Thumbs up

I did not see any dogs during my time at the Chili Cook off, both of mine were at home taking naps. We were there from 11:00-2:00. We had a great time, the Rotary Club did a great job with setting it up. I do have to agree with the one objectionable issue. The horrible smell from the horse manure was almost over bearing when we arrived. Not sure what could be about it, but we did not allow it to spoil our great time.

One suggestion for next year, if it is to be held at the Polo Field again, please try and come up with a better traffic pattern for exiting vehicles. The back up of golf carts and cars was a bit much.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Golf Cart Traffic Jam.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1781  
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Our Parrot Heads had a booth. Never saw any dogs & we were there all day. Saw "LOTS" of dirt !! Talk about being a filthy mess. Clothes went off at home in the garage !!
We really enjoyed the Parrot Head's Chili, good job to your team.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

The cook-off is a fund raising event for the Rotary Club. I'm sure they would like to know that there were some problems. Here is the email of the Rotary President, that I found at their web site.
pfarineau@comcast.net

Rotary Club of The Villages, Florida - Home
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

sounds like rt 10 in ledgewood at rush hour on the way to work
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Gold member

We were at the Home & Garden area for a couple of hours starting around noon and saw three dogs walking with their owners.

The Polo fields definitely had fertilizer applied within the last couple of days.

As previous mentioned the traffic on Saturday was horrendous. We made a point of thinking if the event is held again next year we would attend on Sunday when the Chili cook-off is not run.

Overall we thought the event was great but hope the powers that be learned from some oversights.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1954 View Post
We really enjoyed the Parrot Head's Chili, good job to your team.
Thank you so much !
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Sage

Didn't get to attend...the thought of crowds was the biggest deterrant for us plus we had other things going on. As a thought...taking a golf-cart probably is the better way to go JMHO. As for the smell---well can't address that from a personal perspective but the polo fields are next to horse farms and it was windy yesterday. Not sure how they could have excluded that odiferous experience from the event.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linandvin View Post
Between the stench and the traffic, I will cross this one off our list.
I didn't notice the stench, but for the TRAFFIC alone, we are permanently crossing this one off of our list... In fact, meaning no disrespect to the Rotary, I got on here today intending to post that we'll never go back to that event again, due mostly to the trouble we ran into trying to get out. We were stuck in the paddock 8 area and only moved about 2 car lengths for 40 minutes. My husband said it took a man from one of the other cars in the same predicament going up and directing traffic to finally get us out (or I'm pretty sure we'd still be there...)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

I liked the event better when it was held at the town squares, plus it generated business for local shops.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM

I thought it would be on The Polo Fields, not in a pasture recently used by animals. Landlmines everywhere. What a great day to be outside. awesome weather. Now it's nap time.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

The polo grounds seemed to be a bigger area than the squares. However, it makes it very difficult for handicapped people to attend with the terrain being so uneven. Re: Dogs, I saw a couple of little ones in their stroller. That seems to be the safe thing for the dogs and other people. I had a fun time. It's all about attitude when it comes to crowds. Try getting upset at "Disneyline"!!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran member

I spent 15 minutes in a line that never moved trying to get into chili cook-off. A quick u-turn and I was out of there.At least last year at town square you had plenty of options on how to arrive and leave.In fact I've never had any real problem trying to get in or out of any square function.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 AM

After having lived in The Villages for several years, and being a member of several performing groups, I am accustomed to being in large crowds here.

It is my observation that The Villages does a very poor job in coping with large crowds. Crowd control and traffic control at outside events are almost nonexistent, even for events that are held regularly like the large events at the squares. The Special Events staff whose job it is to control the crowds and traffic -- often don't.

Many residents don't help the situation any, either. I love to attend shows at the Savannah Center and am always appalled at the dozens of people at each show who rush for the exits while the performers are still performing on stage. The patrons' enjoyment of the closing act of the performance is spoiled by these people pushing down the aisles, stepping on feet, blocking views, then hurriedly rushing for the exits while loudly urging each other on. As a performer, it is tough to finish one's performance when, at times, it seems like the audience is rushing out on you and talking over your dialogue or music.

At least at the Savannah Center, exiting the parking lot is no big deal is one allows a few minutes. By 15-20 minutes after the end of the show, all is usually well in the parking lots. My wife and I usually hang around after the shows, talking with friends, using the restroom, etc., and when we leave, we are able to drive right out of the parking lots with no wait.

Another comment (and my rant will be over, I promise) concerns the behavior at the tree lighting ceremonies. Lack of aisles, crowding forward onto the dance floors while the performers are still performing, and carelessness with the lighted candles makes for a high risk situation. I've seen two instances where hair was set afire by careless waving of lighted candles.

My groups and I love to perform. But, from our perspective, many Villagers don't know how to behave in public. Why are so many in such a rush? Do they know a destination other than the one that we all have in common?

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Platinum member

I hear you, Bill... and to borrow from Gracie, 'Boy Howdy' do I hear you!

Rude and obnoxious people are rude and obnoxious wherever they go and whatever the situation..... because it works for them.

Your method of hanging back after a performance is a good one and keeps you in a mode of enjoyment. Great example to offer others!

Our traffic/crowd control volunteers are just that most often.... volunteers who are neighbors. Most often they really try to do their best but many times those same obnoxious kind of people rudely ignore the direction they are given and do what they want without regard to others, screwing things up royally. I can't blame the volunteers for that.

Those attempting to direct traffic can't do much with people who won't follow the program, then get nasty about it.
I've seen that happen more than a few times, and I wouldn't want the task.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.