Chip Credit and Debit Cards

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts
Default Chip Credit and Debit Cards

Both Visa and American Express have provided new credit cards that have the chip embedded. I have been to Best Buy, Ace Hardware and Panera and they have the terminals that will accept the chipped cards......but they don't. They all said (and no, it was not a manager) they bought the terminals for future use but have not put them online. Has anyone found any place that has the terminals activated?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

It is my understanding that many card companies are still requiring a signature claiming people can not be trusted with PIN numbers. This may be what is holding it up? Many folks are very use toPIN numbers and i believe there is something else going on and card companies are using this as an excuse
Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM

They are accepted at Walmart and Sam's Club and the chip embedded credit cards do not require a pin number for credit transactions. They have been using them for some time.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM

I requested a chip card from Discover Card. The rep said that, if I did get one, I'd need to have a 2nd card for vendors who can't process the chip cards. I declined.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I thought the chips were going to be required sometime in 2014 or the cc companies would turn the cost of any fraud back onto the vendors.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
They are accepted at Walmart and Sam's Club and the chip embedded credit cards do not require a pin number for credit transactions. They have been using them for some time.
How are they verifying without the PIN.....would seen there would be no more security than the current magnetic strip?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I requested a chip card from Discover Card. The rep said that, if I did get one, I'd need to have a 2nd card for vendors who can't process the chip cards. I declined.
Our Visa card also has the magnetic strip, AMEX is on the way so don't know it it has both. With the magnetic strip on a chipped card not sure I see a security advantage .

Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I don't know about Discover, but with Visa and Master Card this is not the case. I have had chip cards for several years and use them as regular cards with magnetic strip and with a signature.

In Europe the chip cards and readrers are ubiquitous. However, when using an American card with a chip, it will come up as "Signature Required" and then you just sign like you normally do.

I have been told by my bank that even though my cards have chips that I should never use it with a PIN because as of now all PIN transactions are treated as cash advances and carry heavy transaction fees. Hopefully the American card system will evolve so that we can use PINs with our cards for regular credit transactions.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

I've read that it doesn't really protect you if someone steals your card or your number; the chip is to keep our records safe when retailers are hacked, like Target was last year.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
How are they verifying without the PIN.....would seen there would be no more security than the current magnetic strip?
I believe they are just getting the information about you and your account number from the chip rather than the magnetic strip. Then you sign the charge slip just as always.

Eventually I'm sure (or at least hope) that we will be able to do credit transactions with a PIN.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I've read that it doesn't really protect you if someone steals your card or your number; the chip is to keep our records safe when retailers are hacked, like Target was last year.
This is probably true with the way the chip is used now. However, in Europe, use of a credit card from a European bank requires a PIN. This then would protect the card holder from misuse of a lost/stolen card.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
In Europe, use of a credit card from a European bank requires a PIN. This then would protect the card holder from misuse of a lost/stolen card.
We been using chipped credit cards in Canada for quite a while; probably five years now.
We type in a PIN #. No signature required.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Sage

A few weeks ago the banks said they didn't want the American consumer to have to remember a pin number, like it was too difficult for us. I have no idea what the real reason is.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

The chip really is an extra layer of security, more info than magnetic stripe. Have one from Germany, still have to use PIN over there.

Chase sent me a chip card, but have so many cards, I do not use it.

Also overthere, PINS are longer than four digits, have one now eight digits.

If you make online transaction must have PIN and unique TAN Transaction Number, Only used once.

Much more secure there, we need to do it here, but TAN generation is difficult.

Last edited by Bavarian; 01-20-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Add a comment
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Gold member

We got our new AE with a chip and have had no problems including Ace in Wildwood.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.