Chirping Smoke / CO alarms

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2022, 07:29 AM
Default Chirping Smoke / CO alarms

On Tuesday at 2:30 AM one of my ceiling-mounted smoke and CO monitors started chirping 5 times every minute. I got a ladder and pushed the button. Two days later it repeated the event, now joined by another unit, at almost exactly the same time. Someone on this forum said replace the batteries. They are hardwired with backup batteries. I replaced them in both units. When I pushed the button they chirped then gave the five chirp salute. Ah. They recognize my effort.

This morning they started chirping again. I resisted attacking the damn things with a hammer, but did push the button to give me some rest.

I understand now that I need to replace these two as well as the other three that are chuckling away in silence waiting to torment me.

Issue is: these appear to be wired into the house current. In the electrical box there is a breaker marked low volt panel. I presume that services the alarms and the door bell.

Now, to replace these I have to climb up on a ladder, trust that my deduction about the breaker is correct, and replace these and rewire them. Or, rather, in my advanced age, hire an electrician to do this.

I assume that many of the homes in the Villages have the same system. We live in Lake Deaton.

Any suggestions before I get my hammer?
Old 01-16-2022, 08:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
On Tuesday at 2:30 AM one of my ceiling-mounted smoke and CO monitors started chirping 5 times every minute. I got a ladder and pushed the button. Two days later it repeated the event, now joined by another unit, at almost exactly the same time. Someone on this forum said replace the batteries. They are hardwired with backup batteries. I replaced them in both units. When I pushed the button they chirped then gave the five chirp salute. Ah. They recognize my effort.

This morning they started chirping again. I resisted attacking the damn things with a hammer, but did push the button to give me some rest.

I understand now that I need to replace these two as well as the other three that are chuckling away in silence waiting to torment me.

Issue is: these appear to be wired into the house current. In the electrical box there is a breaker marked low volt panel. I presume that services the alarms and the door bell.

Now, to replace these I have to climb up on a ladder, trust that my deduction about the breaker is correct, and replace these and rewire them. Or, rather, in my advanced age, hire an electrician to do this.

I assume that many of the homes in the Villages have the same system. We live in Lake Deaton.

Different Types of Beeps and Chirps:

It is time to replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. 5 Beeps Every Minute: End of Life. This type of chirp indicates it is time to replace your carbon monoxide alarm.
My system is wited to household current tired into the master bath/closet lighting. Waiting provided a messenger circuit to active all alarms when needed
Detectors have a life of about 8 -10 years. The best deal I found to replace units is Amazon. Contractor bulk purchase Home Depot, Lowes.
I have 3 CO and 3 smoke/fire detectors.
I believe Fire Dept will replace units purchased if ladders are an issue. The service is offered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a first come first serve basis by calling The Villages Public Safety Department at (352) 205-8280 during normal business hours.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

Public Safety Smoke Detector Program
Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

5 chirps means that your detector has reached the end of life, based on time. It has nothing to do with the battery. So, you need to replace all of the detectors.

I would remove the batteries, turn off a few breakers, one at a time, and press the test button on the detectors to see if the power is off. Also, the green light should be off. If that doesn't work, and you can replace the detectors with the same type of plug in (not touching the bare wires), I would feel safe doing that. But, it is not the recommended method.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

As noted above, the detectors are end of life and need replaced.

I would only add that if they are the same brand, you can likely re-use the mounting plate and electrical plug. Meaning, you don't have to turn off the power, just unclip the AC plug from the back of the alarm. Unless the wire nuts have pulled free, there's no risk of you shocking yourself. Most just have you squeeze either side of the plug and it comes right off. It's all plastic, there's no exposed metal on the supply side, and when the plug is clear, the leads in the detector are not engergized.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, most detectors actually PLUG in at the box on the wall or ceiling. If you twist the existing detector, it will come off the wall, the connector will unplug from the back of the detector. If you get the same make and model, then you simply reverse the procedure. I would strongly suggest you replace ALL of the detectors at this time. Also, the detectors outside the bedrooms are typically CO2 detectors, make sure you get the same type for these. Any handyman will be able to help you if you do not want to climb the ladder, and electrician is not required.
If you decide to change brands, you may need to change the connector, which will require the power to be turned off and will require more time to remove the original connector and install the new connector. As far as I know you cannot mix and match different detectors.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

Just so you know, even if it's hard wired, it will still chirp when the back up battery is low...
Old 01-16-2022, 11:14 AM

I had the same problem with my CO detector. I found the model number of the existing unit, went to ACE hardware, and bought the replacement model. (could have ordered from Amazon but it was quick and easy to get from ACE). When I looked at the existing unit on the wall, I saw that the backing plate had wires attached to contacts. So all I had to do was to unsnap the front part of the detector from the backing plate. Then inserted the front part of the newly purchased detector to the old backing plate. The contacts on the old backing plate matched the contacts on the new detector. So no wiring was required. If you are comfortable climbing a ladder, the fix to replace one of those alarms was not as difficult as it might seem. Needless to say, I was sure relieved that it turned out to be relatively easy.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Smoke detectors should be replaced after 10yrs of use.

Most smoke detectors work best with Duracell batteries. Our house is 4 months old and one of the detectors started flashing recently. I replaced the no name battery with a Duracell and problem solved.

Another option for the smoke detectors is to replace them with 10yr lithium battery backup style detectors. With these type detector there is no need to replace the batteries every year. When the detector reaches its end of life cycle it will let you know it is time to replace it.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Smoke detectors should be replaced after 10yrs of use.

Most smoke detectors work best with Duracell batteries. Our house is 4 months old and one of the detectors started flashing recently. I replaced the no name battery with a Duracell and problem solved.

Another option for the smoke detectors is to replace them with 10yr lithium battery backup style detectors. With these type detector there is no need to replace the batteries every year. When the detector reaches its end of life cycle it will let you know it is time to replace it.
Or, you can just replace the alkaline battery with a 10 year lithium battery. No need to replace the detector.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:

From my thread last November, 2021 "Every unit on my street failed at about the same time"
in Lake Deaton
Every unit on my street failed at about the same time
Old 01-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

No need to turn off the electric. If you purchase the same devices, look at model number on unit. You can buy them in bulk on Amazon. You do not need to remove the plates, just unplug the old unit and plug in the new unit. I changed all of mine last year.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I prefer FireX detectors. When the First Alert detectors went bad last year I replaced them with FireX ones by changing out the connecters. A 5 minute job for each unit.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

This happened to us about a year ago. Was not sure it was the detector so wound up calling fire dept.

They came out quickly and told us two detectors needed to be replaced.

Purchased new ones and a very nice young lady from fire dept came out and put them back in place when I felt uncomfortable climbing my ladder to do so.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

I replaced all 5 of my detectors. The plug was not compatible, so shut the power off and just replaced the plug one wire at a time (white to white, black to black and the red to the last wire, red or yellow). I used 10 year units, meaning they have a ten year built in battery. Now as I get older I won't have to worry about getting up on a latter for ten years, at which point I'll hire someone to place them then.
Closed Thread

Tags
replace, chirping, button, breaker, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.