The Christmas Tree Lighting at Brownwood.

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The Christmas Tree Lighting at Brownwood.

Hundreds of people gather to watch as... - The Villages Daily Sun | Facebook

Click arrow on left side of the picture to see all of the pictures of this event.

P.S. It was free. NO charge as will be the other two, free as well.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

From the pictures on village news looked like a small crowd paying the bucks for preferred seating. Looks like you had a better view from grandstands. See how it goes when they have it at Sumter Thursday.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I watched on my computer, the webcam had a great view. I was watching Florida/Florida State and LSU/Texas AM on TV and I kept checking back since it was really dark by 6pm it wasn't until about 8pm that they turned on the lights.

I had been to the Lottery Night back in 2013 when the Flamingos performed and they estimated that crowd at 7,000 and it appeared that last night was just as big as the streets were jammed with people besides the square itself. I did notice by the time the lights were finally turned on, the crowd had thinned a bit.

The VIP tents I noticed were totally empty at the time the lights were turned on. Just as I had posted, they didn't have a very good vantage point, especially when the entire dance floor was filled with people. I think those who sign up for the tent are there just to socialize with friends.

The Villages Webcams Squares
Old 12-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hundreds of people gather to watch as... - The Villages Daily Sun | Facebook

Click arrow on left side of the picture to see all of the pictures of this event.

P.S. It was free. NO charge as will be the other two.
The VIP tent at Brownwood cost $. There will be a $ VIP tent at Sumter also. SS will not have a VIP tent.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
From the pictures on village news looked like a small crowd paying the bucks for preferred seating. Looks like you had a better view from grandstands. See how it goes when they have it at Sumter Thursday.
I believe that the VIP tent was set up for those who chose to make a donation to local charities and was NOT a payment for preferred seating. ["The Entertainment Department also now lists four charities connected to the events – Ronald McDonald House, Lake Sumter Children’s Advocacy Center, Operation Shoebox and the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Charity."
[from the media that cannot be mentioned] Tents are only supposed to support 40 or 50 guests which is why the area is small and set off from the main viewing area.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I believe that the VIP tent was set up for those who chose to make a donation to local charities and was NOT a payment for preferred seating. ["The Entertainment Department also now lists four charities connected to the events – Ronald McDonald House, Lake Sumter Children’s Advocacy Center, Operation Shoebox and the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Charity."
[from the media that cannot be mentioned] Tents are only supposed to support 40 or 50 guests which is why the area is small and set off from the main viewing area.
I believe it was/is a defined donation. Kind of like my donation on April 15th. Do the prefered seaters get to deduct their donation to charity ?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
. Do the prefered seaters get to deduct their donation to charity ?

Yes .
Old 12-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Cool Christmas tree lighting

This is our first official year as residents to visit the Christmas Tree lighting at Brownwood. Previously I have been once with a friend who is a resident. That being said I was surprised how many people were there who are not residents. It seemed to me that my money will be going to entertain the general public and their children. There were no areas to put our chairs. Most people we spoke with were not Villages residents - some coming from miles away. That's all great - in the spirit of Christmas etc. but I was a bit annoyed. We have recently moved from Celebration where all special community events were for residents and we needed to show our resident id. Why isn't this put in force here? I certainly did not come to entertain the general public at my expense. Perhaps a substantial fee for outsiders would be a happy medium.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsmac4 View Post
This is our first official year as residents to visit the Christmas Tree lighting at Brownwood. Previously I have been once with a friend who is a resident. That being said I was surprised how many people were there who are not residents. It seemed to me that my money will be going to entertain the general public and their children. There were no areas to put our chairs. Most people we spoke with were not Villages residents - some coming from miles away. That's all great - in the spirit of Christmas etc. but I was a bit annoyed. We have recently moved from Celebration where all special community events were for residents and we needed to show our resident id. Why isn't this put in force here? I certainly did not come to entertain the general public at my expense. Perhaps a substantial fee for outsiders would be a happy medium.

The squares are public and always have been. The expense for the entertainment on the squares comes from the merchants ON the squares along with a small stipend from the Florida Tourist Tax. There was no money from any residents pockets used for this at all.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
I would suggest that you attend the new residents orientation and learn the ins and outs of The Villages, the CDDs, bonds, etc. You can find a wealth of information by logging on to Village Community Development Districts
No point in being annoyed by things that aren't true.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

The non-residents are probably complaining about all the snowbirds being back and larger crowds due to all the new residents south of 44. To me a crowd is a crowd, doesn't matter where they come from, I just don't like crowds so once was enough for me 3 years ago, I'll go see the lights next week.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Wow. Now that you have learned a bit of how things are here, may I suggest that you continue by first attending CDD orientation, and then Resident Academy. Also, look into the 80/20 ratio as it relates to 55+ communities. Become informed and you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Wow. Now that you have learned a bit of how things are here, may I suggest that you continue by first attending CDD orientation, and then Resident Academy. Also, look into the 80/20 ratio as it relates to 55+ communities. Become informed and you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.
What he said.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Old 12-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The VIP tent at Brownwood cost $. There will be a $ VIP tent at Sumter also. SS will not have a VIP tent.
Not happy to hear this about the tents.
Closed Thread

Tags
christmas, tree, lighting, brownwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.