The Christmas Tree Lighting at Brownwood.

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It looked like all of these people were enjoying it. I think all people celebrate Christmas differently and only God knows what is in their hearts. The bleachers had a place folks could sit if you got there early. All of these folks, all of these humans pictured in this photograph did not have to pay to be there. NOT one. There was a small tent that seated fifty folks who could pay and in return get drinks and snacks and at least part of their money went to charity.

The event was FREE. The tree lighting was FREE. It wasn't dark at five. Dear me.
Me bad. I was taking the info from post #39
"I thought the Christmas Tree Lighting in Brownwood was not in the spirit of Christmas, but in the Spirit of making money.
1) Really, an arcade at a Christmas tree lighting, and vendors peddling their wares.
2) not lighting the Christmas tree until 8:40 at night. It should have been lit at 5:00.
3) not one Christmas carol or mention of the holy day occurred. Has the Villages gone Atheist?
4)VIP seating, and shame on those who fell for it. We sat there for free every year. It is a community event, that the counties pay thousands for a band to entertain us:and we enjoy the music. So... no chairs for the locals, just for the people who paid to have a free drink, a seat, and a roped in area. Come on, this is nonsense!"

Good to see the twirlers. One of my favorites. How about the red and green candles and Villages toasting each other while singing carols as the tree was being lite. Did that occur ? Remember when the streets were cleared and a sea of table and chairs were put up so you could bring snacks like Christmas cookies to share with each other. Those were free VIP seats.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
"I thought the Christmas Tree Lighting in Brownwood was not in the spirit of Christmas, but in the Spirit of making money.
1) Really, an arcade at a Christmas tree lighting, and vendors peddling their wares.
2) not lighting the Christmas tree until 8:40 at night. It should have been lit at 5:00.
3) not one Christmas carol or mention of the holy day occurred. Has the Villages gone Atheist?
4)VIP seating, and shame on those who fell for it. We sat there for free every year. It is a community event, that the counties pay thousands for a band to entertain us:and we enjoy the music. So... no chairs for the locals, just for the people who paid to have a free drink, a seat, and a roped in area. Come on, this is nonsense!"

Good to see the twirlers. One of my favorites. How about the red and green candles and Villages toasting each other while singing carols as the tree was being lite. Did that occur ? Remember when the streets were cleared and a sea of table and chairs were put up so you could bring snacks like Christmas cookies to share with each other. Those were free VIP seats.
Wrong..... someone paid for them! I think it was the "Entertainment Dept." that people like to bad mouth!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Can we close the Brownwood discussion and start complaining about LSL tree lighting?
Spanish Springs is tonight. It's entirely free ..... but if we try hard we can find something to complain about!
I'll go first. "I heard the Developer is turning off the heat and it's going to be cold!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Allow me to show you that you need not have worried. All these pictures are from the tree lighting in Brownwood THIS year and also carol singing led by ………..I can't remember. Someone will help me out.
Was it Billie Thatcher?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It would be nice to hear from those who chose to attend. Either the free, or the paid tent for fundraiser in our opinion important charities.
Is it really cold and people chose to complain about the tree lighting without going. Or did they go to the lightning and it was too cold, then complained.

We are enjoying the cold north (26degree with freezing rain) until next week, then we can see the trees, hopefully in warmer temps.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:07 AM

It's a public square and all area should be allowed to come you were not a resident when you first came. Dont come here to change the things you dont like just because you moved in. We have a big halloween celebration also and there are alot of children from neighboring areas so please dont complain just be happy.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:16 AM

We attended the SS event, arriving at 5:30 and left after the Villages Twirlers And Drum Corps finished their fine performance. The crowd was less than last year, maybe because of the cold weather. BTW, I had a conversation with a gent who related that around 2002 or 2003 that Mr. Schwartz worked with Budweiser to have their Clydesdales team / wagon appear in front of Katie Belles. He went on to say that a snowmaking machine produced snow for an artificial ski slope. Interesting.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

It's official. Page A15 in The Villages Daily Sun today "We were at Brownwood but Spainish Springs was even better". One more lighting to go.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I was there last night also. It was pretty damn cool AND festive.
Steve
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
You’re kidding right ? The entire fee was for charity ? Who took the tax deduction not the person who paid the fee - if this is true then be transparent and show the homeowners the fee payers how much you collected and how much went for expenses donations etc

I don’t believe it - when did people lose common sense ? Too much sun ?
Enough already. Geez.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It's official. Page A15 in The Villages Daily Sun today "We were at Brownwood but Spainish Springs was even better". One more lighting to go.
"Each tree lighting festival in The Villages is the product of months of planning and preparation on behalf of The Villages Entertainment department. And this year, the special events staff decided to do something a little different. Each tree lighting festival will have its own theme – a sugar plum Christmas on Saturday in Brownwood, a classic Christmas on Monday in Spanish Springs and a coastal Christmas on Thursday in Lake Sumter Landing. Read more in today's Daily Sun.
— Photo by Amy J. Correnti, Daily Sun"

All three tree lightings are Free to attend and available to all who want to be there. Gracie Gantner and no I don't work for anybody, I just love this place.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree lighting Spanish Springs.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	82085  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 AM

Not a gated community! If you went with a friend before, you should have known that.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:

All three tree lightings are Free to attend and available to all who want to be there. Gracie Gantner and no I don't work for anybody, I just love this place.
As it supposed to be if the theme is Christmas tree lighting. I watched last night. Very happy with how it went down and No VIP
places like at sports events.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:

And people bitched because some went and saved those tables...……………….
Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Did they have to pay for the tables? I missed that.
Closed Thread

Tags
christmas, tree, lighting, brownwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.