The Christmas Tree Lighting at Lake Sumter Landing was free to all.

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Food for thought. In the words of a poster by the name of Orangebone from another site:

"I think The Villages is growing large enough that more activities should be separated by social and economic class. We need to begin charging for more free events so we can limit the size of the crowds that are descending on all the town squares. Charging wealthier people money for formerly free activities can generate additional income plus begin to separate the Villages community into the haves and have nots. Special treatment based on money is everywhere, why not here in The Villages? We aren’t all equal anymore here in the Villages, some have little money and live on fixed incomes, others have large investments, pensions, large IRA’s and can afford a richer lifestyle. Why shouldn’t the Villages take advantage of that?

I'll reemphasize these are not my words or necessarily my point of view just perhaps the second side of a two sided coin.
The second side is corroded...………………………...

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 12-07-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Ott View Post
Is 50 folks buying VIP tickets to the tree lighting any different than "preferred pool" fees or "preferred tee time fees"? This is the real world, no different than box seats at a game, or back stage passes at a concert. People with enough money like these perks. It is okay.
Championship courses etc are owned by developer. Squares are owned by CCD and leased out for $1 a year to developer owned company.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Money has always talked. The original concept of TV was similar to cruise ships or all inclusive resorts. Everyone had equal access to all the included amenities, whether you had an inside cabin (i.e. manufactured home or patio villa) or a penthouse suite (i.e. premier home.)
Then ships and resorts began implementing special, pay extra, private dining for the select few while the rest of us are stuck with the cheaper basic buffet. It is the way of the world and TV is just following along. However, I believe too much separation between "classes" so the wealthy can feel more special just leads to envy and jealousy between the haves and the have-nots and leads to more inequality. It's a slippery slope.
That said, anywhere that is so packed with people that it's standing room only or long wait lines (restaurants, squares, rec center classes, etc) is too crowded for me and I completely avoid. More and more, I take my business and spend my $$ "off the compound." For all the amenity fees, maintenance, taxes, and ridiculous bonds we pay for the "lifestyle" - no, I am NOT getting my money's worth and I am no longer enamored by TV like I was 2003-2007. It is what it is.
Peace and Season's Greetings!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Money has always talked. The original concept of TV was similar to cruise ships or all inclusive resorts. Everyone had equal access to all the included amenities, whether you had an inside cabin (i.e. manufactured home or patio villa) or a penthouse suite (i.e. premier home.)
Then ships and resorts began implementing special, pay extra, private dining for the select few while the rest of us are stuck with the cheaper basic buffet. It is the way of the world and TV is just following along. However, I believe too much separation between "classes" so the wealthy can feel more special just leads to envy and jealousy between the haves and the have-nots and leads to more inequality. It's a slippery slope.
That said, anywhere that is so packed with people that it's standing room only or long wait lines (restaurants, squares, rec center classes, etc) is too crowded for me and I completely avoid. More and more, I take my business and spend my $$ "off the compound." For all the amenity fees, maintenance, taxes, and ridiculous bonds we pay for the "lifestyle" - no, I am NOT getting my money's worth and I am no longer enamored by TV like I was 2003-2007. It is what it is.
Peace and Season's Greetings!
If you are looking for respite from the crowding during this, the high season, you will have to look somewhere not in Florida.

I thank you and your family for your service.

Tags
christmas, tree, lighting, lake, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.