Chromebook and cloud outage

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2021, 09:44 AM
Default Chromebook and cloud outage

I have decided to replace my laptop with a chromebook.

With yesterday's cloud outage, I was wondering if there were any problems with chromebooks since it's cloud based.

I know my gmail and audacy apps had to kind of reboot.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post

With yesterday's cloud outage, I was wondering if there were any problems with chromebooks since it's cloud based.

There is not just one cloud. A cloud is actually just a cluster of hardware devices and there are many providers all over the world. Many cloud providers have clusters in different locations that can be used as backup and easily switched to in the event of a problem.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

1) switch to an apple device 2)unless you have a massive amount of info that needs to be covered by the cloud always opt out of cloud backup. It's just not necessary.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:

The term "cloud" is just a generic term that means you are storing data on a server that is remote to you, but accessible via the internet. So, whenever you are connected to the internet, with any device, you can make a temporary connection to the remote server and access your data. The data is secure because your have a user name and password that is needed to access your personal data that is stored on the remote server. There is no problem with chromebooks.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The term "cloud" is just a generic term that means you are storing data on a server that is remote to you, but accessible via the internet. So, whenever you are connected to the internet, with any device, you can make a temporary connection to the remote server and access your data. The data is secure because your have a user name and password that is needed to access your personal data that is stored on the remote server. There is no problem with chromebooks.
There's a HUGE problem with chromebooks if the server's internet access is blocked for any reason.

That's why I don't have a chromebook. I like keeping my data local and portable at the same time. It all goes to a thumb drive.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There's a HUGE problem with chromebooks if the server's internet access is blocked for any reason.

That's why I don't have a chromebook. I like keeping my data local and portable at the same time. It all goes to a thumb drive.
Chromebooks have evolved to have more offline capability like using a thumb drive.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Unless you are using a Chromebook for crucial tasks such as stock trading, the unlikely chance of Google being offline for a long time is an inconvenience rather than important.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:15 AM
Default not a fan

when my wife laptop became a bit dated, we opted for the chromebook since she uses it primarily to surf the web , go on facebook, and play games.

for these items it works well

everything else - not so much

trying to learn new spreadsheets and word processing was tedious but she managed.

virtually EVERYTHING is kept in the cloud, and it is NOT always obvious where.

also, major issues with printing
seems the book does not natively print, but uses some kind of app to do that
and the app frequently gets corrupted
Old 06-09-2021, 06:22 AM

Chrome books are great if you are going to do very basic tasks online, such as email, surfing the web...etc. Anything beyond that and they are not worth the hassle.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 06-09-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Been using a Chromebook since they came out, gave up on Windows years ago. You have to option to store files locally on the Chromebook, but I've never had a problem getting to the web.
I find Google Calc to be very close to Excel and the same with Google Docs and Word. I can read a Word doc and save it as a Google Doc, make changes and save it as a Word doc. Same with Calc.

If a local wifi is not available (or I don't trust it, which is most of the time) I use the mobile hotspot on my phone.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:44 AM
Default I agree with Freehiker

Chromebooks don't use the Windows operating systems; so there is a learning curve with Chromebooks if you are used to working with Windows. I am a Chromebook user and overall I agree with previous poster who said that Chromebooks are not worth the hassle. Just on overpriced toy IMHO.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:42 PM

Only magic chromebooks work when the internet goes down...
Unfortunately, they no longer sell magic chromebooks!
Old 06-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Default Chromebooks

Quote:

I've had one for years. Can do just about everything and no need for virus protection. The internet will answer any problem you may encounter. I have a laser printer and they work great together.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

I have thought about getting a Chromebook for travel. Screen would be larger than my iPad plus better keyboard. Don't want to carry around my Macbook Pro.

Thoughts?

kathy
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Chromebooks have evolved to have more offline capability like using a thumb drive.
That makes a world of difference.
Closed Thread

Tags
cloud, chromebook, outage, kind, chromebooks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.