Where do you buy fruit?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Where do you buy fruit?

I was in Virginia visiting the grand kids last week and went to the grocery store and bought fruit. And I do know how to buy good fruit. I got watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, and peaches and made them a big fresh fruit platter. All fruit was excellent.

When I got home I went to Publix and bought almost the same fruits. No peaches as they didn't have any. It was all terrible, no taste, mealy, dry, worst fruit ever. I have tried all the different stores here, Publix, Aldi's, Fresh Market, Walmart, Winn Dixie and the same thing.

I can't seem to buy decent fruit in Florida. You would think it would be just the opposite, but I find the fruit here terrible. I can usually get decent grapes and apples and sometimes blueberries, but almost everything else is awful.

Why can't we get decent fruit here? What I bought in Virginia came from all over and it was all excellent. Here it was all awful. WHY?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We use Aldi for most of our salad, fruit and veg, but they don't always have what we want in stock

Found quality to be generally good, although always worth examining carefully
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Suggestion

You need to read a book on how to pick fruit.

Contrary to most things fruit is seasonal. It is best when it is cheapest. Tomatoes for example are good now. You could buy them during our winter they were expensive and simply bad.

Cantaloupes-they are best vine ripened. When, they ripen on the vine the stem easily tears from the melon leaving a belly button type scar. The ones commonly offered are cut from the vine.
You see a small part of the vine still attached to the mellon.
At best it will not be great and you need to let it ripen for about a week. It needs to breathe or it will rot. Best done in a wooden bowl.

Apples. If, you buy them now they will not be as good as you would hope. The apples you buy now were picked last fall and have been in cold storage for about 6 months.

A good sense of smell is an asset. I can tell if a display of cantaloupes, pineapple etc is good just by walking by it.
Wife says I smell like a dog not always sure how to interpret that.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Default Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I was in Virginia visiting the grand kids last week and went to the grocery store and bought fruit. And I do know how to buy good fruit. I got watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, and peaches and made them a big fresh fruit platter. All fruit was excellent.

When I got home I went to Publix and bought almost the same fruits. No peaches as they didn't have any. It was all terrible, no taste, mealy, dry, worst fruit ever. I have tried all the different stores here, Publix, Aldi's, Fresh Market, Walmart, Winn Dixie and the same thing.

I can't seem to buy decent fruit in Florida. You would think it would be just the opposite, but I find the fruit here terrible. I can usually get decent grapes and apples and sometimes blueberries, but almost everything else is awful.

Why can't we get decent fruit here? What I bought in Virginia came from all over and it was all excellent. Here it was all awful. WHY?
The quality of food sometimes depends on who you are eating it with.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Hi there,
I just read your post to my husband. His response was, "See, I'm not crazy". (Not that I ever accused him of that but that's just his opinion) LOL. Ever since we moved here he has been complaining about the fruit - especially citrus since Florida is allegedly a "Citrus Capital".

I am hoping someone will respond favorably to your post and tell us that they found a farm somewhere with excellent, organic, tasty fruit. I don't want to have to drive to Brooklyn or Virginia just to get decent fruit. LOL
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Default Reading your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi there,
I just read your post to my husband. His response was, "See, I'm not crazy". (Not that I ever accused him of that but that's just his opinion) LOL. Ever since we moved here he has been complaining about the fruit - especially citrus since Florida is allegedly a "Citrus Capital".

I am hoping someone will respond favorably to your post and tell us that they found a farm somewhere with excellent, organic, tasty fruit. I don't want to have to drive to Brooklyn or Virginia just to get decent fruit. LOL
RE: Florida Citrus
Due to rain and soil, Florida oranges are good for juice. California o.ranges are better for eating out of hand.

As to shopping in Brooklyn. Have you added in the PARKING TICKET to your cost?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
You need to read a book on how to pick fruit.

Contrary to most things fruit is seasonal. It is best when it is cheapest. Tomatoes for example are good now. You could buy them during our winter they were expensive and simply bad.

Cantaloupes-they are best vine ripened. When, they ripen on the vine the stem easily tears from the melon leaving a belly button type scar. The ones commonly offered are cut from the vine.
You see a small part of the vine still attached to the mellon.
At best it will not be great and you need to let it ripen for about a week. It needs to breathe or it will rot. Best done in a wooden bowl.

Apples. If, you buy them now they will not be as good as you would hope. The apples you buy now were picked last fall and have been in cold storage for about 6 months.

A good sense of smell is an asset. I can tell if a display of cantaloupes, pineapple etc is good just by walking by it.
Wife says I smell like a dog not always sure how to interpret that.
I agree with you with one exception, I do know how to select and buy fruit. And in Florida the options are very poor selection and quality. I have lived all over the US and a few foreign countries and I have always been able to buy decent fruit. Except here in Florida. And that makes no common sense to me. You would think that you should be able to buy great fruit here. But you can't. To me that is a mystery and I would like a good explanation or a good place to purchase it. And yes of course in season is best. So would you not think that right now watermelon would be in season? Are not Georgia peaches in season? Are Florida cantaloupe not just coming in season? Blueberries just finishing? Blackberries just coming on? And yet store bought further north are much better than local. WHY?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Have you tried Browns Market on 301? We've gotten some good fruit there in the past.

Brown's Country Market - Brown and Brown Farms - Grass seed supplier, producer, and harvester
Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

There are a lot of farmers selling watermelons now from their trucks, also corn and tomatoes. There is a pretty nice outdoor fruit stand open every day on 301 about a half mile south of the turnpike with citrus fruit, etc.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Winn Dixie at LSL has some great Georgia Peaches. First time I have found peaches that didn't taste like compressed wet newspaper in a local supermarket and that includes Fresh Market, Aldi & Publix. Not sure how long they will last though.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Good luck! I miss my he$$ 2 acres, I had 3 types pear, 2 types apples, apricots, peaches, red plum, seedless pink grapes, and luscious three types of Rainer cherries. If you never tasted Rainer cherries off the tree you have not clue how good cherry can taste. Not to mention vegetable garden. Nothing down here comes close to taste.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Wow! No one mentioned the Markets at Marion. Fresh off the farm with excellent prices.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi there,

You have hit on a favorite subject of mine, namely Florida Grapefruit. We have been coming to Florida for vacations in the winter for many years and always stayed close to the beach at Reddington Shores on the Gulf. We used to shop at a privately owned Citrus Grove close to the beach, they had everything including veg. They were known for their grapefruit and they were to die for, and so cheap it was ridiculous, you could get a huge grapefruit for 25c. In those days you could get a grapefruit called Duncan, they were white flesh and very juicy, huge, smooth skinned and shiny with loads of seeds. They were one of the original grapefruits grown in Florida, but because they had seeds people did not want them, you can no longer buy them anywhere unless you find someone who still has a tree. Then came the citrus canker outbreak and many of the old reliable groves were burned to the ground. Also, growing grapefruit is hard work and the descendants of the original growers sold off the land for developments like ours! So the grapefruit business has now gone to Texas and in the summer, California.

So we basically ruined our own Florida grapefruit business!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A good source of citrus (in season) is your local area.

You may have neighbors with citrus trees where 90% of the crop goes to waste and they would be happy for you to help yourself.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

You could play baseball with the pears.

I stopped at a roadside stand on 466A over by Pine Ridge. The guy had tomatoes and strawberries. I know not to expect much from Florida tomatoes, but the strawberries looked so beautiful. He gave me a sample, however, and it was tasteless. I didn't buy. In fact, I don't buy strawberries in our grocery stores unless I'm planning on doctoring them up or adding them to a trifle or somesuch. I agree with you--blueberries are mostly good (I've had better in other places), as are Honeycrisp apples, grapes, and some melons (occasionally). There are some melons sold in netting occasionally in the summer. They are pricey but quite good. I can't remember the brand name.

Tags
fruit, bought, buy, decent, peaches

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.