Chula GC tree cutting

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The Oakmont Country Club in Pennsylvania cut down 15,000 trees to reshape the course. The Trump National Golf Club in Virginia cut down 400 trees to give golfers a better view of the Potomac. Hard to get excited about one tree that we don't even know the reason why it was removed.

However, I wasn't happy when they cut down a couple of stately Oaks to build the Edgewater Bungalows on Old Mill Run.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The Oakmont Country Club in Pennsylvania cut down 15,000 trees to reshape the course. The Trump National Golf Club in Virginia cut down 400 trees to give golfers a better view of the Potomac. Hard to get excited about one tree that we don't even know the reason why it was removed.

However, I wasn't happy when they cut down a couple of stately Oaks to build the Edgewater Bungalows on Old Mill Run.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Since 1983, 15,000 trees. Disgusting. And it's my home town, so I'm allowed to bi**h.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	oakmont.png
Views:	130
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	79623  
Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

The new golf courses don't have trees they just took the cow pasture dug a few holes ...filled with sand....stuck 18 flags in the ground and called the the new good course
Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
The new golf courses don't have trees they just took the cow pasture dug a few holes ...filled with sand....stuck 18 flags in the ground and called the the new good course

Steve
Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Trees are often removed from golf courses because they are detrimental to the adjacent green. if the green is not getting enough sun or air it can cause problems. Tree roots will often find their way under a green because the greens are fed so well. If I recall, that green has always had condition problems.

I don't know for sure but that could be the reason. We have plenty of those live oaks on and off golf courses here in TV. One is not going to matter.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Since 1983, 15,000 trees. Disgusting. And it's my home town, so I'm allowed to bi**h.
Oakmont was originally designed as a treeless golf course. At some point some of the members thought it would be a good idea to plant hundreds of trees. If Fownes (the designer) had seen the trees, he would have designed the course differently.

The trees that were removed were not there originally so it's not really a loss. Trees were added where they didn't belong and then were removed to return the property back to it's original state.

Hopefully something useful or beautiful was made from the wood.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Some of the greatest golf courses in the world don't have a lot of trees. Trees don't necessarily make a good golf course. If a course is designed around trees then it works. However, if a course is designed without trees and trees are later added it may destroy the original intent of the designer.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Oakmont was originally designed as a treeless golf course. At some point some of the members thought it would be a good idea to plant hundreds of trees. If Fownes (the designer) had seen the trees, he would have designed the course differently.

The trees that were removed were not there originally so it's not really a loss. Trees were added where they didn't belong and then were removed to return the property back to it's original state.

Hopefully something useful or beautiful was made from the wood.
Makes sense. I did not know that.

Tags
removing, chula, park, love, planning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.