Cigars Smokers Unite

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdabob View Post
For the life of me I can't understand how a licensed premise (licensed by health department or equivalent) can be allowed to permit smoking in any of their licensed areas!
The Surgeon General (Health Dept.) has determined that second hand smoke is a health hazard so..... Duh!!! This is a hazard to other patrons, employees and, yes, the smoker as well.
Please allow me to enjoy a meal outside at City Fire Brownwood (or any other establishment) without having to share in your habit.

Why aren't there any smokers attempting to refute this?

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post

Why aren't there any smokers attempting to refute this?
simply because it would be akin to a sensible pro gun VS anti gun discussion.....there is no such thing.

I know what I like and don't like in life...they are to my choosing. And when I encounter something I do not like I avoid it. If there is a place I do not like inside or outside for what ever reason I don't go there (too many options).
I do not expect pther people to change what their likes in life are to suit me.

I respect other opinions that are different than mine. I also expect others to do likewise.

The b-eye-itchin' about what other people like or dislike is such a waste of time.

I am always interested to meet people with the bully/crabbing/disparaging temperment eye to eye to see if they are as vociferous and rude as behind the keyboard.

It is another beautiful day in TV for most of us. For some the old addage applies...there is just no pleasin' some folks!!!!

btk
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
simply because it would be akin to a sensible pro gun VS anti gun discussion.....there is no such thing.

I know what I like and don't like in life...they are to my choosing. And when I encounter something I do not like I avoid it. If there is a place I do not like inside or outside for what ever reason I don't go there (too many options).
I do not expect pther people to change what their likes in life are to suit me.

I respect other opinions that are different than mine. I also expect others to do likewise.

The b-eye-itchin' about what other people like or dislike is such a waste of time.

I am always interested to meet people with the bully/crabbing/disparaging temperment eye to eye to see if they are as vociferous and rude as behind the keyboard.

It is another beautiful day in TV for most of us. For some the old addage applies...there is just no pleasin' some folks!!!!

btk
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
You used to be able to relax at the outside bar at Cody's and Red Sauce in LSL with a wine and smoke a cigar. Not anymore! What's the difference between cigar smoke and cigarette smoke? It's outside! I say to all cigar enthusiast out there don't patronize Cody's and Red Sauce....your cigars are still welcome at City Fire and Sonny's outdoor bars. We smoker's have to put up with a lot of aggrevation from all the non smokers and their holier than thou attitudes.
My dad's brothers and his uncles all smoked Italian cigars and they did smell. Their wives wouldn't allow them to smoke in the house so they had to go out on the front porch or back porch to smoke...........but strangely enough, not one of them got lung cancer, like folks get today from cigarettes which have a zillion added chemicals in them...........

These uncles and great uncles all lived into their 90's......still smoking the Italian cigars.

Also, at our son's wedding, all of the "executives" met in a separate "cigar smoking room" to smoke their beloved cigars......so it is being done..........and seems to be quite popular nowadays.....as it was in the past.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Sage

over 90% of cigar smokers DO NOT INHALE!!!!!
That is not what smoking a cigar is about.
And for those who do not know and especially for those who do not want to know, they would not understand what it is about. And even if they understood it would not be accepted. Which is OK they are entitled. Just don't bad mouth those who do.

There are several insurance companies that rate cigar smokers as non smokers....because they do understand the difference between cigars and cigarettes.

btk

PS and yes there are other maladies/medical problems that can come from those who over indulge in cigar smoking. Casual or occasional cigar smokers are as healthy as non smokers.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Sage

It is not nice to make up your own facts about serious issues like tobacco smoke from any tobacco source.

Read the fact from Cancer.org

What about secondhand cigar smoke?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Sage

The "executives" I mentioned who were smoking cigars did not smoke as frequently as say a person who smokes a cigarette every 15 minutes while driving in the car, or otherwise on schedule to get their nicotine fix as it is an addictive habit which is hard to break. They seemed to do it more as a celebratory thing and a form of relaxation.

Ditto for the Italian Uncles. The cigars were smoked after dinner. I didn't live with them but since the aunts wouldn't let them smoke in the house.........I doubt if they were out on the back porch that often????? Especially in the wintertime. Anyway, it certainly did not affect their health at all.

I guess it would be akin to giving a new dad a cigar as a celebratory event when a new baby arrives. I'm not a smoker myself, but that's my guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Per the National Cancer Institute
  • Cigar smoke, like cigarette smoke, contains toxic and cancer-causing chemicals that are harmful to both smokers and nonsmokers.
  • There is no safe tobacco product, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke.
  • The more you smoke, the greater your risk of disease.
  • Cigar smoking causes oral cavity cancers (cancers of the lip, tongue, mouth, and throat) and cancers of the larynx (voice box), esophagus, and lung.
  • All cigar and cigarette smokers, whether or not they inhale, directly expose their lips, mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx to tobacco smoke and its toxic and cancer-causing chemicals.

You have a right to poison yourself if you like but you don't have a right to poison me with it in a public gathering place.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Non-smokers have rights but should they tread on smokers' rights? It is a conundrum that requires compromise. One part of the compromise is in place already. Smokers who might prefer to eat inside and have a smoke can no longer do so. Now, how about the other side of that compromise?
I think there should be designated areas outside restaurants for smokers. They have rights too. And those of us who don't smoke can just avoid them.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Sage

and please do us all a favor and do not go into the "poisoned" environment.

Isn't it amazing in this day and age we can all find whatever we need to make a point; some may view others findings as "making it up" to emphasize their point....doesn't make theirs more right.

This thread is headed the same direction as the gun pro VS anti gunners.....time to stop doing you know what in the wind!!!

I love a good DUSCUSSION so I guess I will be done with this thread....eh?

btk
Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Since most of the homes in TV are so very close to one another is anyone experiencing tobacco smoke from their adjacent or an upwind neighbor's home drifting into their lanai?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

My grandfather smoked cigars and a pipe his entire life and lived to be 88 years old. Sure, smoking is bad for you and maybe "Pop" would've lived to a 100. Everything in moderation-----a relaxing cigar a week-----iMHO would not hurt your health at all. I quit 20 years ago this past October 31. But my father died of lung cancer complication and that was enough for me to quit smoking entirely.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
You used to be able to relax at the outside bar at Cody's and Red Sauce in LSL with a wine and smoke a cigar. Not anymore! What's the difference between cigar smoke and cigarette smoke? It's outside! I say to all cigar enthusiast out there don't patronize Cody's and Red Sauce....your cigars are still welcome at City Fire and Sonny's outdoor bars. We smoker's have to put up with a lot of aggrevation from all the non smokers and their holier than thou attitudes.
I would like to request that you post where you are going to ignite errrr unite, and I would like you to respect my right not to be there.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Since most of the homes in TV are so very close to one another is anyone experiencing tobacco smoke from their adjacent or an upwind neighbor's home drifting into their lanai?
Really. Are you serious ?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Really. Are you serious ?
I am, pardon the pun, deadly serious. I want to be free to enjoy fresh clean air in my own home and yard.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.