Cigars Smokers Unite

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,601 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
And I would hazard a guess that it was an intentional miss. It was just another lame attempt to justify what the smokers have got to know is WRONG. Until it's made illegal some will continue to smoke wherever they damn well please, regardless if it offends or puts other's health at risk. Their so-called "right" to pollute the air trumps anything & everything.
At least twenty years ago I read that nicotine is seven times as addictive as heroine. In one study nicotine was administered in droplets under the tongue. The people tested, who apparently had used drugs and knew the effects of cocaine, thought that the nicotine was cocaine. Thus, nicotine is powerful stuff and it is notoriously extremely addictive. Smokers who quit experience withdrawal symptoms and continue to crave a tobacco fix for many years afterward, as we all know only too well.

I have observed and smelled smokers sneaking smokes where they are not supposed to, such as in airport bathrooms, and where it can be quite dangerous for themselves as well as others, such as while filling their vehicles's gas tanks at service stations. I have known two smokers dying of lung cancer who had their oxygen tents shut down so they could sneak smokes in their hospital beds! Hospital rules, the law and safety be d*mned!

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

I think anyone sitting in the smoking section should be forced to smoke. Sounds fair to me.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ChevyFI View Post
Here's the biggest issue I see. Your dining experience does rely on your sense of smell. Anyone who has had a cold and can't breathe through their nose, will notice there's not much taste to their food. Cigar and cigarette smoking affects your dining experience. Wouldn't you agree that the main objective of a restaurant, is for people to eat food? I really don't think entrepreneurs open restaurants, in the hope of having people come in and smoke without eating. Some people who don't smoke or have stopped smoking find it offensive while eating, BECAUSE eating does rely on your sense of smell. Lets try this. There are a group of people who LOVE the smell of dog...... lets go with poop. They bring it with them wherever they go eat. They breathe it in and blow the smell to others in the restaurant while they eat. Would the same smokers be saying, well it's there right to bring poop into restaurants? I know I'm eating but hey, the love the smell of it and the smell of dog poop does not affect my dining experience, the food still tastes great and it's their right to bring dog poop into the restaurant and fill the restaurant with the odor. I know this is a extreme example, but it is not out of the realm in today's society.
This is hilarious! Wonder what we could call this restaurant?? Poopy"s?? Stinky's??
Made me smile!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran member
Default won't ride with a smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I got hooked up with a guy who was smoking cigars. I had just hit my drive when wind swept cigar smoke into my mouth and down my lungs. I gagged my guts up. I do believe in individual freedoms but honestly at that moment my thoughts were not charitable.
I always ask my assigned partner if he/she smokes. If the answer is yes, I won't ride with them. I have been in a situation a couple of times and the starter let us take three carts. I used to smoke, and understand the addiction and how tough it is to break. I honestly cannot stand to be around the smell any more and choose not to.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I think anyone sitting in the smoking section should be forced to smoke. Sounds fair to me.
Thank you, Patty55. I love it. Excellent.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM

The old adage applies. "I don't mind if you smoke, just don't exhale."
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
And I would hazard a guess that it was an intentional miss. It was just another lame attempt to justify what the smokers have got to know is WRONG. Until it's made illegal some will continue to smoke wherever they damn well please, regardless if it offends or puts other's health at risk. Their so-called "right" to pollute the air trumps anything & everything.
serenoa - what is WRONG with smokers smoking in their assigned smoking section as they damn well please?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
The old adage applies. "I don't mind if you smoke, just don't exhale."

Or, "Do I mind if you smoke? I don't care if you burn".
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
I always ask my assigned partner if he/she smokes. If the answer is yes, I won't ride with them. I have been in a situation a couple of times and the starter let us take three carts. I used to smoke, and understand the addiction and how tough it is to break. I honestly cannot stand to be around the smell any more and choose not to.
I hear ya, I always ask their IQ, I've had a few times where I almost had my brain sucked out. You can't be too careul out there.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Maybe we could ban gas golf carts. The fumes are dangerous to our health. Not sure why I have to ride behind one and smell the nasty odor coming from them. Have you ever sat by a person who has been driving one, they stink terribly? We should probably have a seperate driving area just for gas carts. How about those tunnels? I drive through them and have to smell the fumes. Maybe even ban them from the golf courses, you know, global warming and all.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
Maybe we could ban gas golf carts. The fumes are dangerous to our health. Not sure why I have to ride behind one and smell the nasty odor coming from them. Have you ever sat by a person who has been driving one, they stink terribly? We should probably have a seperate driving area just for gas carts. How about those tunnels? I drive through them and have to smell the fumes. Maybe even ban them from the golf courses, you know, global warming and all.
Nobody is paying to dine beside/behind a golf cart exhaust pipe.

In a restaurant/bar, people are paying for a clean, unpolluted atmosphere in which they can eat/drink without being nauseated by a stench that is preventable.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage

If you are making a fuss about smoking outside, know that CA doesn't even allow smoking at state parks and beaches....and some cities prohibit smoking within 100 ft of the beaches and parks within the city limits. In Newport Beach, smoking is also banned on the boardwalk, public piers and within 25 feet of a playground or within 20 feet of community centers and public buildings.

It is now illegal to light up in outdoor dining areas in Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles ordinance prohibits smoking within 10 feet of outdoor dining areas and food courts and within 40 feet of food carts and mobile food trucks. Bars and 18-and-over nightclubs with outdoor areas are exempt from the law.
There are other cities in the state that also prohibit smoking in outdoor dining areas of restaurants. The smoking is prohibited for all the reasons others have discussed in previous posts.

More and more states, municipalities, will eventually enact laws that will limit areas for smoking, whether smokers like it or not. Secondhand and third hand smoke, yes, third hand smoke, impacts all around. Liquor impacts the drinker, it is ingested and does what it does, to the drinker, not people standing nearby. As for saying liquor smells, it might, but not far from where it is.

I'm not telling anyone they cannot smoke, but do hope that it is recognized that even while smoking outdoors, they may be impacting others even a bit away from the area.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

...Well put, Pooh!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.