Circulating hot water line

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2020, 07:13 PM
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
Had one installed last year when I needed to replace my water heater. We like it a lot and would do it again.
I installed myself. Simple! Love it!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Our Watts hot water recirculator pump on our hot water heater was already installed when we purchased our pre owned home. The previous owners had one of the pump "valves" under one of the sinks in the master bathroom. I never understood why they put it there because that bathroom is on the other side of the wall with the hot water heater. We had that "valve" removed from the master bath. No need for the pump in that bathroom. We can have HOT water within 15 seconds in the shower and both sinks.

Note that I'm calling the gizmo under the sink a "valve" because I really don't know exactly what the gizmo is called.

We had a plumber move the "valve" from under the master bath sink and put it under the hall bath sink which is the furthest from the hot water heater. It makes more sense to be in that bathroom. What a pleasure to have instant warm water and HOT water within a few seconds in the hall bathroom.

We also have a "valve" connected to the recirculating pump under the kitchen sink. That is totally invaluable. I never have to wait for hot water any time of the day and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the convenience of the Watts pump providing me with warm water instantly and full hot water within 15 seconds.

I have the pump's built in timer set to go on at 6am and off at 10pm. We have always had the convenience of the Watts pump so do not have any idea how much more in electricity we are paying. It can't be much because our electric bill is very reasonable but we attribute that to the superior insulation and CBS construction of our home here vs our previous homes.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our Watts hot water recirculator pump on our hot water heater was already installed when we purchased our pre owned home. The previous owners had one of the pump "valves" under one of the sinks in the master bathroom. I never understood why they put it there because that bathroom is on the other side of the wall with the hot water heater. We had that "valve" removed from the master bath. No need for the pump in that bathroom. We can have HOT water within 15 seconds in the shower and both sinks.

Note that I'm calling the gizmo under the sink a "valve" because I really don't know exactly what the gizmo is called.

We had a plumber move the "valve" from under the master bath sink and put it under the hall bath sink which is the furthest from the hot water heater. It makes more sense to be in that bathroom. What a pleasure to have instant warm water and HOT water within a few seconds in the hall bathroom.

We also have a "valve" connected to the recirculating pump under the kitchen sink. That is totally invaluable. I never have to wait for hot water any time of the day and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the convenience of the Watts pump providing me with warm water instantly and full hot water within 15 seconds.

I have the pump's built in timer set to go on at 6am and off at 10pm. We have always had the convenience of the Watts pump so do not have any idea how much more in electricity we are paying. It can't be much because our electric bill is very reasonable but we attribute that to the superior insulation and CBS construction of our home here vs our previous homes.
Might see if turning it on and off every 15 minutes will work for you.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Here’s a clear YouTube video from Home Depot on how these things work and how to install one.

How to Install a Hot Water Recirculating System | The Home Depot - YouTube

Let’s say my kitchen sink is twenty feet from my hot water heater. My shower (and master bath sink—for easy connection, as the shower pipes are buried in the wall) is forty feet. I use the shower once a day. I use the kitchen faucet many times a day. They have separate pipes. I don’t think this gadget will heat them both. If I connect the bypass valve to the master bath water lines, my shower water will be hot in seconds, but my kitchen sink water will be as slow to heat as ever. If I connect the bypass valve to the kitchen sink water lines, I’ll get almost instant hot water in the kitchen whenever I want it quick, but the shower water will heat up slowly (once a day).

Any guidance?
You may need to install another valve in the bath with a separate line. The Watts I installed came with one heat sensing valve. You can buy extra valves. Around 60. I put one (diy)on yesterday took 1:15 hrs to install. The watts comes with a mechanical timer So you can set it for your usage times. You don’t need to have it working when you are sleeping. I would like to have bought one without a mechanical timer. I have mine set up to work with smart plug and ALEXA. I can control it from any where in the house and with alexa any where in the world with smart phone. Hardware package had Grundfos label so Watts may be an affiliate. You will probably use a little more in electricity save a little in water usage. They claim 15000 per year. The Comfort of having warm water at your tap and shower within seconds is well worth it. Should be a must on all new homes. If you can afford to live in TV you can afford this type of product.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

/// n/m misread post
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

What about the washing machine? I'm not sure my low fill machine ever runs the water long enough to get hot, even though the laundry room is only a few steps from the garage/water heater.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Might see if turning it on and off every 15 minutes will work for you.
I'm not understanding your suggestion.The Watts pump were perfectly for us as it is. As I said in my previous post, we LOVE it!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwl View Post
I'm thinking of installing pump for circulating the hot water. Would like to know from those that had it install if it was worth it and would you do it again.. Also who installed yours. Thanks
As a retired plumbing contractor, if you are doing it for a cost savings, forget it. If you are doing it for convenience, go for it.
Make sure you use a bronze pump which is for potable water and not a cast iron pump which is for heating systems. Except for a very few and very large residences, I have rarely seen it to be enough of an advantage, including in my own home.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

We got one as part of build .. along with the mandatory tankless heater. Waste of money, IMO.. Still takes 3-5 minutes to get the shower water hot
Old 08-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
We got one as part of build .. along with the mandatory tankless heater. Waste of money, IMO.. Still takes 3-5 minutes to get the shower water hot
Using a recirculation pump with a tankless water heater may void the warranty

It may not work with such a low water flow. Check to see if the hot water heater activates when the pump is running.

There are tankless with built in recirculation but I think those need separate return lines.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
What about the washing machine? I'm not sure my low fill machine ever runs the water long enough to get hot, even though the laundry room is only a few steps from the garage/water heater.
Check your manual. I suspect your washer will heat up the water if it isn’t warm enough. Your dishwasher does that, too. That said, most of the better HE laundry detergents get clothes s lean with cold water. I’ve only used cold for a number of years now, and I’m not aware that it has cost me any friendships.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I was under the impression that the circulating hot water pump can not be used in conjunction with a tankless water heater.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:47 PM

What did they charge for the installation and where did they get the power
for the pump. Area where tank and heat pump are does not have a plub. Did you have
to get electric added first. Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Well, all good points. But, during hurricane Irma we lost power for 5 days. Even after 5 days the water was warm enough to take showers. SO how much are you going to save?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Using a recirculation pump with a tankless water heater may void the warranty

It may not work with such a low water flow. Check to see if the hot water heater activates when the pump is running.

There are tankless with built in recirculation but I think those need separate return lines.
At our current home our tankless water heater has its own recirculation pump. No need to add anything into the system. You do need the return line though. When we have our home built in TV we're going to see if they can install the return line and install the same model of tankless heater we now have.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
circulating, hot, water, installed, worth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.