Civilized discussion on Recumbent Bikes on the street

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage

This is clear cut in the statutes and has been discussed numerous times in the past. The roads in The Villages are of substandard width. This means a car and a bike cannot coexist in a single lane with the required spacing between a car and a bike. Cars need to swing into the left hand passing lane when passing and must not attempt to crowd into the same lane as a bike. It would probably be best not to give people the finger but the cars that don't move into the passing lane are the problem. The only entitlement is on the part of the car drivers who don't pass in a safe and legal manner. In the future, you may wish to educate yourself on the statutes before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Lone biker today on southbound morse in a regular bike. Guess he was one of the many entitled bikers...he felt it necessary to give everyone who didnt pull into the second lane to go around him the finger.

TV Bikers...the Entitled of the Entitled.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

If they have a death wish let them ride on the roads
Old 05-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
This is clear cut in the statutes and has been discussed numerous times in the past. The roads in The Villages are of substandard width. This means a car and a bike cannot coexist in a single lane with the required spacing between a car and a bike...In the future, you may wish to educate yourself on the statutes before posting.
You are correct that a car and a bike cannot coexist in a single lane in TV.

However, you are absolutely wrong that TV roads are of substandard widths. In fact very few roads anywhere meet the requirements for a bike and auto to coexist in the same lane. And those roads that do are far wider than the width necessary to be considered a standard road.

The ability for road lanes to simultaneously accommodate an auto and a bike in no way determines whether or not a road meets standard lane width requirement.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Looks like there can’t ever be a civilized discussion about bikes or dog poop.
Actually people don’t seem to have civilized discussions about most things these days.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Here is something I don't quite understand. Bicycles have been around forever. Most, if not all, of us rode one before we could drive a car. I doesn't seem to me that bike riders are doing anything differently today than was done 30, 40, 50 years ago. Why such a big issue now?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Sage

Sorry, you are incorrect and I believe I have corrected you in the past on this. The term "substandard width" is used in numerous locations in the context of bikes, cars, and the statutes. If you are looking for it in the context of road construction documents then you will probably not find it. It is a legal term. If you go back and reread my post you will see I was referencing the statutes and the only issue here is the statute. In the terminology of the statutes, the roads in The Villages are of substandard width. I do agree that you would be hard pressed to find roads that aren't of substandard width but that is besides the point.

For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.”

from

Cyclists, pedestrians need to know safe and legal road position | Fort Myers Florida Weekly

There are numerous other references. The net result is that bikes essentially occupy an entire lane because of the substandard width and cars need to use the other lane when passing, regardless of whether it is a 4-lane or 2-lane road. I trust I won't have to go over this anymore in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You are correct that a car and a bike cannot coexist in a single lane in TV.

However, you are absolutely wrong that TV roads are of substandard widths. In fact very few roads anywhere meet the requirements for a bike and auto to coexist in the same lane. And those roads that do are far wider than the width necessary to be considered a standard road.

The ability for road lanes to simultaneously accommodate an auto and a bike in no way determines whether or not a road meets standard lane width requirement.

Last edited by biker1; 05-26-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:16 PM

The truth of the matter is cars will not respect the cyclists clearance rules any more than cyclists will respect the traffic laws and stop at stop signs.

Neither law is enforced by police officers. For their own safety, cyclists should ride on the mmp's, but they won't.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.
Closed Thread

Tags
bikes, recumbent, ground, side, bike

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.