Classic Car Buffs

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Gold member
Default Classic Car Buffs

We have some friends that would like to move here...actually, she would move here today but he has some reservations. He has a classic car that he is restoring and has looked forward to retirement to be able to do so. Where do Villagers go to work on their cars? Do you rent a storage unit or is there somewhere else that has the necessary space? Thank you in advance and just think, you may be saving a marriage ! Just kidding, they are very happily married!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

I've wondered that too. TVers need to divest themselves of excess items..Even here near Sarasota there is a lack of storage, or working space. At least here the homes have a minimum of 15' separation with most double that..
Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Default Working on Cars

What kind and what age vehicle? Check today's (Friday's) Daily Sun "Wheels" section for some of the car clubs here. They can help.

A lot can be done in your garage without annoying your neighbors. For jobs that require heavy duty noise, paint odor, etc., there are restoration shops nearby.

J & B Streetrods and Welding (352) 314-0155
Detroit City Customs (352) 671-9909
Several custom paint places

I own a Model T Ford and have done much of my work in my garage. I have pulled the engine, removed all sheet metal and a host of other "quiet" chores without a problem.

Having a golf cart garage gives more space to store tools and to work in my garage.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

I agree that when you come down to The Villages to live, you will start to downsize the amount of "stuff" that you have. We have 2 cars and a vintage Corvette. When we make the move here permanently, we will sell the older car and keep one car and the toy. Options for your friends considering moving here, look for a home that has been stretched in the garage, width and/or depth. A garage with a golf cart attached is excellent and the ultimate would be to find a home that has a three car garage.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I have 2 antiques, '66 Mustang Fastback (just about finished), and my wife's '86 vette (next to be worked on). I had done most of the real noisy work before we moved here, the rest of the work I have done in the garage. My neighbors seem to enjoy seeing the cars.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

There is a very active car culture here. I agree with the previous posters about the ability to work in your own garage. Bill Horne who owns J&B street rods has a new shop in Leesburg on the same street are other auto related specialty repair shops. And the biggest plus is you can drive your car 12 months of the year.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.