Including A Golf Cart With Your Rental Home..

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Including A Golf Cart With Your Rental Home..

I know this has been discussed several times, but I'm having difficulty finding current ideas. We are just beginning to seasonally offer our home for rent. One of the first things potential renters want to know is, "Is a golf cart included?". My experience is that as soon as you tell them "no", they move on to a rental that is, in fact, providing a free golf cart with their home. I know the reason this has lost favor is because home owners are concerned about liability when a renter has an accident in a cart owned by them. However, when I look at ads, more often than not a golf cart IS included with the home rental.

So.....my question is for you who actively rent out your homes and include a cart....What do you have for insurance coverage and if you don't have it, how do you CYA???!

Thanks!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

You might require the renters to furnish you with a policy covering themselves and you as an "additionally insured", similar to what is done for leased cars and equipment. You would have contact your insurance agent to determine that such an underwriting can be made for golf carts. You already should have a landlord's policy or rider on your home if you are renting it out.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Gold member

We rent out our home as an unfurnished, long-term rental so we don't provide a cart with our home.

But, we have to rent when we visit TV. When we were looking for a rental in May, I looked for a villa without a cart! There were three of us and I wanted to rent a 4-seater cart. The villa without the cart was a little cheaper. By the time we rented a cart, the price was about the same as a villa with a cart. By being able to rent a 4 seater, I could take my 90 year old Mother and 86 year old aunt at the same time! Worked out much better for us.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would not rent without a cart as it is a big part of the life style. I probably would not try and get my own insurance to cover.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 AM

I added our rental house in The Villages to our homeowner policy. Now I have insurance on any golf course and if in a gated community. The problem is that The Villages is a community with gates and not a gated community. If it's considered gated then I'm covered anywhere in the same association. I'm guessing the insurance will not cover the rental if anything happens. I also called several ins companies in The Villages and golf cart rental companies and no one offers golf cart insurance to renters.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 PM

We rent without a golf cart & the price reflects that. We will not rent with a golf cart because of the liability. No matter how much insurance you have if someone gets hurt they will sue the homeowner. Within the past 7 yrs 14 people have died in golf cart accidents in the Villages.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow8IA View Post
I added our rental house in The Villages to our homeowner policy. Now I have insurance on any golf course and if in a gated community. The problem is that The Villages is a community with gates and not a gated community. If it's considered gated then I'm covered anywhere in the same association. I'm guessing the insurance will not cover the rental if anything happens. I also called several ins companies in The Villages and golf cart rental companies and no one offers golf cart insurance to renters.
My guess is you have to identify the house as rental to be covered. For the golf cart will it be covered everywhere in the Villages? I would check as it sounds like it would not. Try a couple of brokers.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 AM

I use to rent my home without a golf cart and had no problem renting it.You have to ask less but you have no liability issues. I have searched far and wide and there is no insurance companies that will cover renters. If you are a gambler than roll the dice and include the golf cart but I think you are living on the edge.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Allstate in Lady Lake covered our golf cart when we rented. It just has to be worded properly in the contract that you are not renting the golf cart. You are loaning them the golf cart while they rent your house.
Renters are typically MUCH more careful with your golf cart than you are. I haven't been able to find one incident of a homeowner getting sued because their renter wrecked their golf cart. But I'm not one to look for things to worry about.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

I would NEVER rent with a golf cart. Hubby was in Golfcart (our own) accident in March, hit by a guy who was at fault and ticketed, the insurance companies STILL can't figure out who is liable....what a mess!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Maybe just have a list of several places with prices, where they could rent from.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.