Classified Scam

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Hide the classifieds!!! Should be available to members only.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think a bank will only cash a cashier's check immediately if you have an account with them. The bank's position is that they are acting as your agent to attempt to retrieve the money from the original bank, and you are responsible if the check is fraudulent. Otherwise, the bank would have to contact every originating bank for every check they cash. Way too time consuming, and customers would take their business elsewhere. Anybody can print out or copy a fraudulent cashier's check.
but presumably the buyer will be using a cashier's check issued by a bank that is nearby (or that would be very suspicious) so you can go to a branch of that bank and they should be able to tell you there and then whether or not it is fake?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

I'm not really sure the logistics of it. I think they send you a check for too much, ask you to give the overage to the "mover" and they get the $$ and the item? My guy only offered $50 over and the item was inexpensive ($100), so he wouldn't have gotten much. He did say after I cashed the cashier's check, so I presume the check is fake, and the bank comes back to me for the money. Anyhow, as I said the amount was inconsequential. I'd rather donate the item to charity than get ripped off by some con-man.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
You can cash a cashier's check at the bank,take the money and spend it. The next week the bank will call and say the cashier's check bounced. Now the merchandise you sold and the money are gone.
What good are cashier's checks if the bank does not check them out when you deposit them? I would say it's the banks problem and they have to own up to their mistake.
If you have the check and are trying to deposit it, you've already lost your money. Virtually anyone can fabricate a cashier's check on a decent printer.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
but presumably the buyer will be using a cashier's check issued by a bank that is nearby (or that would be very suspicious) so you can go to a branch of that bank and they should be able to tell you there and then whether or not it is fake?
It's too late. You think the crook will accompany you to the bank? Cash only. And if it's a lot, do it at the police station.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
It's too late. You think the crook will accompany you to the bank? Cash only. And if it's a lot, do it at the police station.
I did say not to hand over the goods until he had accompanied you to the bank, so you haven't lost out. I suspect he will refuse, so you note his car license number and report him to the police. Once they receive several such reports they will follow up, so either the crook gets nailed or he wises up the first time and moves on.

Just pointing out the scam on TOTV only alerts those of us who read the post. Actually doing something about it would help everyone in The Villages trying to sell items.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 PM

Sorry TOTV, but do not trust this place for items. Most people are good, but no one is vetted so there are always scammers. be safe.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM

Same here just last week.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 PM

I think I have said before this a very common scam unless you are in a closed group. I often sell items for my clients and I have potential buyers contact me. There was a close call once when a client almost went for the scam they were excited about getting more money than was asked. I said why would someone want to pay more without even seeing the item; then in clicked. My rules for my clients is cash only sales and I have to talk to person. You have to ask yourself does this make sense and trust your instincts.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you only want to sell to fellow Villagers you can always ask to see their Villages ID card
Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

You have to be a registered user on TOTV to contact a seller.

We do not recommend putting your contact info in the body of the ad, but use only the contact fields. If you do this then ONLY registered users on the site can contact you.

If you put an email or phone number in the body of any ad on any site then it is exposed to anyone to contact you.

Regards,

TOTV Team
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, fact, story, classified, scam

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.