Cleaning A/C Ducts ???

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Default Cleaning A/C Ducts ???

How much did you pay to have your ducts Cleaned on a designer home , Were you happy with the work?
Who did the work..
Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Default Cleaning A/C Ducts ???

I would not clean flexible duct. The chance of ripping through it, collapsing or blowing off is real. The best way to keep your ducts clean is to install a high efficiency air filter and replace on schedule.
Only sheetmetal ductwork can be effectively cleaned.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Cleaning is recommended every 3 to 5 years (I think).

I would ask for a video inspection inside the ducts before and after the cleaning.

And I would expect the contractor to repair any damage done during the cleaning. Ask about repairing damage BEFORE giving the contractor the job.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
How much did you pay to have your ducts Cleaned on a designer home , Were you happy with the work?
Who did the work..
Thanks
I would suggest that you read the several other threads on this same topic. I think that cleaning the flexible a/c ducts is a bad idea and not necessary. These ducts cannot be effectively cleaned and can easily be damaged. Some of the companies that do it are not reputable, and are just looking for a quick buck. Also, I don't think you will find a company who will provide a before and after video of the inside of your ducts. It is probably a good idea to occasionally have your dryer vent duct cleaned to prevent a fire. There are several companies who will do the vent cleaning for a very reasonable price, usually less than 100 dollars.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

In general duct cleaning is not needed (IMHO). You will always find some dust in any AC system, this is NORMAL. As noted above, the flexible ducts can easily be damaged. The dust that settles in the AC system will stay where it is, it settled there because the air flow is slow there. Change your filters as recommended, and if you are having a project that will create a lot of dust, have that area closed off and the AC vents closed.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

Use a MIRV 11 or a better Merv 13, in a designer change them once a year--if you use a Mere 8-change it every 6 months
Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
Who did the work..
Thanks

Hope you get an answer from others with experience not just advice and opinions
Interested in having mine done as well
I personally know one person who had their ducts cleaned and the amount of dust he said was unbelievable

I don't know what they paid..Or who did the work
I look at my vents can see dust build up
Can only imagine what's built up on the inside our 8 year old home
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM

This reminds me of the old vacuum cleaner salesman tricks - showing the perspective buyer how much better their new "Belchfire 500" vacuum is than the existing one owned. It is just a trick to get your money.

Change your filter regularly with a quality filter and be happy.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Ok,,,,, Thanks All.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:25 AM

The previous owners of our Lantana had the ducts cleaned and the house repainted before putting the house on the market. That was four years ago. Despite changing the filter 3 times a year, we need to get the ducts done again because the large return in the dining area is gross! I think Florida is the dustiest place I've ever lived, except for when I was a very little girl in NYC before they banned burning rubbish and we had soot on every windowsill. Here in TV we're on a championship course where the wind blows unimpeded which I'm sure contributes to our dust. I just had our annual dryer vent cleaning ($60) by Covenant Enterprises (Desmond Harris) and asked about the the rest of the ducts. He recommended that they be done every 3-4 years. ($220 for a Lantana). If you have new-in-the packet 9v batteries they will also replace your smoke alarm batteries when they're there! We are scheduled to get our ducts cleaned next week. We have been very happy with their service for the last four years. 352-308-9243
Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
The previous owners of our Lantana had the ducts cleaned and the house repainted before putting the house on the market. That was four years ago. Despite changing the filter 3 times a year, we need to get the ducts done again because the large return in the dining area is gross! I think Florida is the dustiest place I've ever lived, except for when I was a very little girl in NYC before they banned burning rubbish and we had soot on every windowsill. Here in TV we're on a championship course where the wind blows unimpeded which I'm sure contributes to our dust. I just had our annual dryer vent cleaning ($60) by Covenant Enterprises (Desmond Harris) and asked about the the rest of the ducts. He recommended that they be done every 3-4 years. ($220 for a Lantana). If you have new-in-the packet 9v batteries they will also replace your smoke alarm batteries when they're there! We are scheduled to get our ducts cleaned next week. We have been very happy with their service for the last four years. 352-308-9243

Thank You
Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In general duct cleaning is not needed (IMHO). You will always find some dust in any AC system, this is NORMAL. As noted above, the flexible ducts can easily be damaged. The dust that settles in the AC system will stay where it is, it settled there because the air flow is slow there. Change your filters as recommended, and if you are having a project that will create a lot of dust, have that area closed off and the AC vents closed.
Hope this helps.
Fantastic idea about closing vents b4 a dusty project
Thank you!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Use a MIRV 11 or a better Merv 13, in a designer change them once a year--if you use a Mere 8-change it every 6 months
I look at my A/C filter each month when I put vinegar in the drain pan. I think I end up changing it ever two to three months. Hold the filter up to a light and do the same with a new one to help tell if it is dirty.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I prefer to use the Merv 8 and change it more often. I think the super high efficiency filters can impede air flow, especially when they get dirty.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I prefer to use the Merv 8 and change it more often. I think the super high efficiency filters can impede air flow, especially when they get dirty.

The super high MERV filters have a greater amount of filtering surface area to catch particulates, therefore the air flow is not impeded.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Closed Thread

Tags
work, ducts, happy, home, bigbowbigbow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.