Cleaning grungy fiberglass shower

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Default Cleaning grungy fiberglass shower

The grunginess of the fiberglass shower insert in the bathroom has been bugging me. I tried the abrasive type cleaners...not much help. I used a power washer (really) and it was a wash. Then I tried toilet bowl cleaner, and it did a super job, but was really hard to apply since it is so thick (tried watering it down for sprayer and little luck). This approach also discolored the metal cover over the drain, bummer.

SUCCESS -- this really works and it is cheap. Half part white vinegar and half part Dawn dish washing liquid. Shake it up and apply it with a sprayer. Let it sit for a hour or two. Then I used a stiff bristle brush on the rougher floor area of the shower and did not brush out the sides. Rinsed and WOW! white again. Such a cheap and totally successful approach.

Next I think I'll try it out on the tub and see how it does there. Maybe spray it on the car and rinse, Try it on the siding... who knows where this might go.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Thanks! I can't wait to try this. I have tried just about everything else with no luck. Hope it works on the doors too!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I hope the abrasive cleaners did not scratch the fiberglass, or you may have a much bigger problem keeping the shower clean. I made a mistake years ago with a very abrasive cleaner, and ended up with a patch that would get dirty faster then the rest of the tub. I found a really good coating for fiberglass (from a boat store) that I was able to use to reglaze the tub. Sorry I do not recall any details about the coating, too long ago.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well too. I've found it is really works great on the shower floor. Nothing else I tried got it as clean.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
The grunginess of the fiberglass shower insert in the bathroom has been bugging me. I tried the abrasive type cleaners...not much help. I used a power washer (really) and it was a wash. Then I tried toilet bowl cleaner, and it did a super job, but was really hard to apply since it is so thick (tried watering it down for sprayer and little luck). This approach also discolored the metal cover over the drain, bummer.

SUCCESS -- this really works and it is cheap. Half part white vinegar and half part Dawn dish washing liquid. Shake it up and apply it with a sprayer. Let it sit for a hour or two. Then I used a stiff bristle brush on the rougher floor area of the shower and did not brush out the sides. Rinsed and WOW! white again. Such a cheap and totally successful approach.

Next I think I'll try it out on the tub and see how it does there. Maybe spray it on the car and rinse, Try it on the siding... who knows where this might go.
Thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 PM

I tried white vinegar on rust on concrete but it didn't work. You think the added dish soap will help?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We used Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Cleaner on the Floor but used WD40 on the walls and fixtures and it looked like the day it was installed. You have to sacrifice a old comforter by taping it to the base of the shower stall so nobody wipes out if any WD40 contacts the part you stand on. It works like magic on sliding glass doors also. Just be very careful to protect against the slipping factor. I found this cleaning technique on YOUTube. Saved a bundle of money because it looked like the shower stall and the bathtub needed to be replaced before we started.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Not sure if it would have any impact on a rust stain on concrete... but I do want to try it on the weathering on a concrete slab at our Indiana house when we get back there.

The magic eraser is an interesting idea to try as well.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Default NOT on the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post

"Maybe spray it on the car and rinse"

Thanks for the shower cleaning tip.
I'd like to suggest: Having enough automotive detail experience to be dangerous - please do not use the dish soap on your car. Its too harsh and will remove the protective wax finish. Nix the vinegar on the finish too.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM

Yep, probably the car... not a good idea... but, was thinking maybe I should try it out on the white aluminum gutters?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

White vinegar on grout works good also.Spray it on leave set for half hour and mop the floor.
Closed Thread

Tags
shower, brush, half, fiberglass, part

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.