Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

I have not kept up with the expert doc in awhile, does he say wear a mask when 20 ft from the nearest person when walking or what about 50 ft? Does he recommend that when I drive my car with the windows up and a. c. on to wear a mask? Oh yes nobody is with me of course. Is wearing a mask 100 percent effective? Has the wonderful doctor said, no one who wears a mask gets sick or dies? It’s been a couple months since I heard the expert talk about these things. Months ago he changed his mind all the time and I turned him off. Does he have a greater understanding of this virus now?
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 PM

Thank you
Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 AM

I would assume that that the majority of them are unaware. At least they are making an attempt to show they care for their fellow human being?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:43 AM
Question

What about all the waitresses that wear their masks below their nose? Another useless gesture.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
The masks are useless as well as the shields. If you really believe the virus can’t get around either one then you are seriously naïve. Covid is not a death sentence! My recommendation to you is to just stay home.
Im sorry but you said “covud is not a death sentence”?? Is that correct?? Go tell that to those families of the thousands who have died already. You do realize the old villagers are prime for this right?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
I:;Ii;

i;
:I
i;

I can't seem to get it. But......thank you for the link.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I:;Ii;

i;
:I
i;

I can't seem to get it. But......thank you for the link.
I can get the Ï by long-pressing the i on my Android device. This doesn't work on the computer though (as you found out).

For the computer -

Press the Windows key and R at the same time.

Type charmap in the dialog box and press enter

This will bring up the character map. Double-click the character you want and then select the "copy" button (copies the character to the clipboard).

Paste into the editor for this site (or other).

You should be able to get any character that the site allows this way.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:45 AM

OSHA says also that OR must have additional oxygen piped in because masks are worn for longer periods of time. This is help prevent low oxygen levels for the people wearing the masks.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
A face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control.
I thought that the idea of wearing a mask was to protect the people around you. A two layer cloth mask is not supposed to protect the wearer. Has that changed now? It seems to me that a face shield on an infected person would prevent droplets from hitting other people.

And of course the OP has made it sound like it is a fact that clear face shields are ineffective when the CDC site says there is not enough data to know.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziesoul View Post
OSHA says also that OR must have additional oxygen piped in because masks are worn for longer periods of time. This is help prevent low oxygen levels for the people wearing the masks.
Not correct, OR's and other areas of the Hospital are under positive pressure with atmospheric levels of oxygen. OSHA recomends at least 6 air exchanges per hour.

"The design of an operating room is to have multiple air changes per hour and to stay at a higher air pressure than adjoining rooms or hallways. The effect of the air changes is to remove odors and any undesirable bacteria away from the operative field and is exhausted to the outside, the entering conditioned air is filtered thru HEPA filters eliminating exposing the room with any odors or bacteria. Keep in mind the entering air is usually 100% outside air and has the normal percentage of oxygen."
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
The stress this face shield vs mask issue is causing you is likely making you more susceptible to contracting Covid than this issue itself.

I have been working as an R.N. for 43 years and give stress reduction classes at the facility I am employed at. Many people do not realize how living with chronic stress is not just a negative mental health issue, it can have as equally negative physiologic impact on the body especially the immune system.

We were magnificently created to have a mind and body that respond accordingly to enhance our survival when faced with an actual or perceived threat. This survival response was meant to be a short term event, but when the threat becomes chronic such as in the case of Covid making the physiologic response to it prolonged, that prolonged response which includes having high levels of cytokines, cortisol, etc. levels in our blood streams not only causes chronic inflammation which damages our immune and other body systems, it can activate latent viruses which is the reason why you often see outbreaks of Herpes Zoster/Shingles in individuals who are under a great deal of stress.

With any infectious disease be it bacterial, fungal, or viral for one to contract them they have to be a susceptible host meaning having a weakened immune where they don't have the intrinsic ammo to fight off and kill the infectious invader. Masks, shields, any all other face coverings worn by yourself and others in addition to having impeccable hygienne may protect you and others to a certain extent from contracting Covid, the seasonal flu, or other contagious infections, but they will never fully protect you if your immune system is weakened as a result of the negative physiologic impact of living under chronic stress has on it. And additionally, the damage that is being caused by having chronic high level pro-inflammatory hormones such as cortisol continually released in response to chronic stress can cause the development of diseases equally life threatening as Covid such as heart attacks, strokes, etc.

Protect yourself as best as you see fit, but do yourself a favor and try reduce your stress over what others are doing or not doing because holding on to that stress is doing you far more harm than you may have realized.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 AM
Default On the other hand GoPacers....

Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy | River Cities' Reader

Last edited by PJackpot; 10-25-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Default On the other hand GoPacers....

Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy | River Cities' Reader
Old 10-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Not sure if you read the paper but this was not peer-reviewed and was removed from researchgate.net by the editors. Here is what they said when it was removed:

“[O]ur Terms of Service prohibit the posting of non-scientific content on the platform. Given its questionable scientific basis and controversial subject matter, the content you posted is a violation of our Terms.”

In a subsequent message to the author they further explained their decision to remove the content:

“However, if we have any reason to believe that content on our platform has the potential to cause harm, then we reserve the right to remove it. In this case, your report was advocating that face masks are not effective and, in effect, discouraging their use. This goes against the public health advice and/or requirements of credible agencies and governments. As content which did not appear to have undergone quality control processes by the scientific community, but which was broadly linked to from a variety of social media accounts, we thought it had the potential to cause harm.

Sorry, just because something is written and posted on the internet does not make it peer-reviewed.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 AM

You are right. You must still wear a face mask
Closed Thread

Tags
events, shields, clear, people, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.