Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Unhappy Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Yes, face shields are similar to glasses as far as protection is concerned. They are not mask substitutes.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:32 PM

But nobody will say anything to them so they get to do what they want to do!.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

I saw a woman in the market who had a face shield on and had a sticker that said "my mask protects you and your mask protects me". I felt like telling her she wasn't protecting anyone but didn't want to start an argument.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,925 Posts

I would imagine if someone who wears a full face shield which comes below the chin, sneezes or coughs, the droplets and "spittle" would be visible all over the shield that sits in front of the mouth and nose. All I can say is thanks for those wearing the face shield who prevent those droplets that entered the surrounding air. Masks do a better job but a face shield is better than nothing at all.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
Where does this information come from?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Where does this information come from?
COVID-19: Considerations for Wearing Masks | CDC

Face Shields

A face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Therefore, CDC does not currently recommend use of face shields as a substitute for masks.

However, wearing a mask may not be feasible in every situation for some people for example, people who are deaf or hard of hearing—or those who care for or interact with a person who is hearing impaired. Here are some considerations for individuals who must wear a face shield instead of a mask:

Although evidence on face shields is limited, the available data suggest that the following face shields may provide better source control than others:

Face shields that wrap around the sides of the wearer’s face and extend below the chin.
Hooded face shields.

Face shield wearers should wash their hands before and after removing the face shield and avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth when removing it.

Disposable face shields should only be worn for a single use and disposed of according to manufacturer instructions.

Reusable face shields should be cleaned and disinfected after each use according to manufacturer instructions or by following CDC face shield cleaning instructions .

Plastic face shields for newborns and infants are NOT recommended.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

In other words there isn't nearly enough data to say one way or another if it is effective or not. Just as I thought, emotional knee jerk reactions.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is fast becoming a moot point as more and more residents do not wear masks......

Two more of our neighbors came down with the virus this week.
They had dinner at a restaurant with people who tested positive.

There is no way to account for where people have been before they meet up with YOU!!!

Removing masks at the dinner table is an open invitation to roll the dice!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

They are worse than wearing nothing because they give one a very false sense of security. Either wear a mask or not.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
In other words there isn't nearly enough data to say one way or another if it is effective or not. Just as I thought, emotional knee jerk reactions.
You don’t need data, just common sense. Look at a face shield. See the air flow?

And for some people, in my experience, there is not enough data in the world to convince them of anything once their mind is made up.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 PM

My information about masks ineffective ? The NIH, The CDC, Johns Hopkins, and other medical journal articles backed by scientific research, such as studies done in switzerland and australia.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:19 PM

There is plenty of data to show that shields aren't effective. If you do not believe medical scientists, look at some of the studies done in Physics journals

Last edited by ladyarwen3; 10-23-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post

Agreed! I wear a full hazmat suit when I go out and I think others should too. Masks are a start but we really need to take this seriously and a full hazmat suit is the only answer. The science® PROVES I am 100% protected and anyone who disagrees is a science denier.

Last edited by mrrmauu; 10-24-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:57 AM

Masks are ineffective. Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
Closed Thread

Tags
events, shields, clear, people, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.