Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Some people just don’t get it.

Love the people who wear a mask below their nose or on their chin!
Old 10-24-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd20166 View Post
Masks are ineffective. Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
Not sure what peer reviewed journal you're reading that claims masks are ineffective.

Here is an excerpt from a very recent article in Nature:

"A preprint study posted in early August, found that weekly increases in per-capita mortality were four times lower in places where masks were the norm or recommended by the government, compared with other regions. Researchers looked at 200 countries, including Mongolia, which adopted mask use in January and, as of May, had recorded no deaths related to COVID-19. Another study looked at the effects of US state-government mandates for mask use in April and May. Researchers estimated that those reduced the growth of COVID-19 cases by up to 2 percentage points per day. They cautiously suggest that mandates might have averted as many as 450,000 cases, after controlling for other mitigation measures, such as physical distancing.

“You don’t have to do much math to say this is obviously a good idea,” says Jeremy Howard, a research scientist at the University of San Francisco in California, who is part of a team that reviewed the evidence for wearing face masks in a preprint article that has been widely circulated."

The study/article in this referenced passage is currently under peer review.

Here is the full Nature article: Face masks: what the data say
Old 10-24-2020, 06:33 AM

Viruses can also enter the body through the eyes. Pink eye is one such virus. However, no masks that I have seen cover the eyes, and many people who wear masks fail to even cover their noses. Wear whatever you wish to protect yourself, either physically or psychologically.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:41 AM

Perhaps these people cannot breathe with a mask. Please don’t police everyone who do not follow your lead.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:08 AM

Perhaps they should try different masks? I wore masks 8-12 hours a day while working in the OR. Some are much easier to wear than others.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:30 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
The masks are useless as well as the shields. If you really believe the virus can’t get around either one then you are seriously naïve. Covid is not a death sentence! My recommendation to you is to just stay home.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:11 AM

First, did you ever stop and think that some people cannot wear masks and that a clear shield is the only way to comply with establishments that require a facial covering? People that have been victims of rape, assault and childhood molestation cannot stand anything which covers the face. Please don’t be so quick to judge!
Second, there has been absolutely no testing on all of the various masks that people wear including surgical masks, cotton masks, polyester, bandanas (and even underwear!) to say definitively that they work to prevent contracting COVID. The weave is too large to stop a 0.3mu virus molecule. Why do you think virologists gear up like astronauts?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
OMG. Another mask post. “Yawn”
Old 10-24-2020, 08:26 AM

I feel much safer in a face shield than mask and would prefer others to wear them as well instead of masks but it's not my decision what people wear, it's theirs. If I sneeze, those particles go right to the inside of my shield and then down. If someone in a mask sneezes, those particles go right through that mask and out into the air. Also, people in shields aren't endlessly adjusting the face coverings like mask wearers are and then touching everything around them. Why do you think masks are better? Because the powers that be tell you that?? They tell us a lot of things, we need to make the best informed decisions for ourselves. This is an extreme example but if someone sprayed a can of Raid at your face which would you rather have on, a plastic face shield or a paper mask? For me, I'm sticking with my shield and I'll not say nasty things about those who continue to wear masks...or not.
God Bless Everyone.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
My information about masks ineffective ? The NIH, The CDC, Johns Hopkins, and other medical journal articles backed by scientific research, such as studies done in switzerland and australia.
Agree.....masks are ineffective when worn with the nose exposed, or around the chin. Worn properly, masks do block droplets and aerosols. Why else would our CDC and epidemiology experts, including Dr. Fauci, include masks in their guidelines to slow the spread of the virus?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
Agreed! I wear a full hazmat suit when I go out and I think others should too. Masks are a start but we really need to take this seriously and a full hazmat suit is the only answer. The science® PROVES I am 100% protected and anyone who disagrees is a science denier.
Thank you for some levity during this time of crisis the world is experiencing.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd20166 View Post
Masks are ineffective. Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
Oh, and while you are at it, don't breathe.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Default Face shields

Quote:

Could you please give a link that supports this. Thanks
Old 10-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
The masks are useless as well as the shields. If you really believe the virus can’t get around either one then you are seriously naïve. Covid is not a death sentence! My recommendation to you is to just stay home.
People who use the term "useless" and "ineffective" with regards to masks and COVID are the ones who are either seriously naïve or worse. Reference peer reviewed articles that make such claims (with the citation) and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, it's an opinion and one that contradicts the guidance from medical experts around the world.

I get it that many people don't want to wear a mask but to make ridiculous statements that could potentially put others in jeopardy to justify one's decision is lame. Just say - I won't wear a mask, walk away and go about your business.

BTW: COVID is a death sentence for many people. Another erroneous and naïve statement to justify one's opinion.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, face shields are similar to glasses as far as protection is concerned. They are not mask substitutes.
Correct! I have a face shield that I wear riding in the golf cart to protect my complexion as much as possible from wind. Hubby likes windscreen rolled up. I wear a mask when I’m in stores or around people.

Tags
events, shields, clear, people, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.