Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 09:40 AM

FACT: Countries that do not wear masks have the lowest mortality/ hospitalization rates in the world ( India, Pakistan, and Sweden for example! Also, Sweden never closed down anything but had a totally OPEN policy including all schools.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM

People not covering their nose makes me nuts. There’s a reason nostrils are swabbed for diagnosis!!!
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager44 View Post
People not covering their nose makes me nuts. There’s a reason nostrils are swabbed for diagnosis!!!
In some ways these things are public IQ tests...
Old 10-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
Agreed! I wear a full hazmat suit when I go out and I think others should too. Masks are a start but we really need to take this seriously and a full hazmat suit is the only answer. The science® PROVES I am 100% protected and anyone who disagrees is a science denier.
Yes, a hazmat should be mandatory. The Fed gov. ought to mandate that EVERYONE wear a hazmat suit with a closed oxygen system. Also, in order to be 100% sure of not becoming infected, you MUST have a decontamination system before reentering your home. Ultraviolet light and a sanitizer shower must be used.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

My, mass hysteria has invaded. It appears that the percentage of infected with MH is way more dangerous than the .004% virus infection rate.
Well, if the world is ending as some on here are predicting, I see no reason for me to bother with the irritating mask when I am out and about. I now wear a shirt that says, Stay 6" away because I am infected. That way, I am protecting you. Thanks to all on here that have convinced me that I prefer to live my life normally, rather than cower in my "safe room" like some. Like some that find it necessary to depend on others to "protect" them. Good thing that everyone does not hide, or there would be no food, water, electricity or toilet paper.
I now carry a wadded up paper mask with me to wear if the establishment has a mask mandate posted. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Default Face shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
I feel much safer in a face shield than mask and would prefer others to wear them as well instead of masks but it's not my decision what people wear, it's theirs. If I sneeze, those particles go right to the inside of my shield and then down. If someone in a mask sneezes, those particles go right through that mask and out into the air. Also, people in shields aren't endlessly adjusting the face coverings like mask wearers are and then touching everything around them. Why do you think masks are better? Because the powers that be tell you that?? They tell us a lot of things, we need to make the best informed decisions for ourselves. This is an extreme example but if someone sprayed a can of Raid at your face which would you rather have on, a plastic face shield or a paper mask? For me, I'm sticking with my shield and I'll not say nasty things about those who continue to wear masks...or not.
God Bless Everyone.
Amen! How many wash their face mask after each time they wear them? How many throw their disposable away after one time wear? I wear a shield at work because we have deaf people who come in and they have to read lips. So, get a life people and quit complaining. There are many reasons for differences. Stay home if you don’t like what you see.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyBraga View Post
First, did you ever stop and think that some people cannot wear masks and that a clear shield is the only way to comply with establishments that require a facial covering? People that have been victims of rape, assault and childhood molestation cannot stand anything which covers the face. Please don’t be so quick to judge!
Second, there has been absolutely no testing on all of the various masks that people wear including surgical masks, cotton masks, polyester, bandanas (and even underwear!) to say definitively that they work to prevent contracting COVID. The weave is too large to stop a 0.3mu virus molecule. Why do you think virologists gear up like astronauts?
Virologists are working very closely with a virus. That is why they "gear up like astronauts". People, out and about living their lives are not that close to the virus if they are social distancing.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
I feel much safer in a face shield than mask and would prefer others to wear them as well instead of masks but it's not my decision what people wear, it's theirs. If I sneeze, those particles go right to the inside of my shield and then down. If someone in a mask sneezes, those particles go right through that mask and out into the air. Also, people in shields aren't endlessly adjusting the face coverings like mask wearers are and then touching everything around them. Why do you think masks are better? Because the powers that be tell you that?? They tell us a lot of things, we need to make the best informed decisions for ourselves. This is an extreme example but if someone sprayed a can of Raid at your face which would you rather have on, a plastic face shield or a paper mask? For me, I'm sticking with my shield and I'll not say nasty things about those who continue to wear masks...or not.
God Bless Everyone.
Not true. Droplets are blocked by face masks, especially if they are not a stretchy material. The following video demonstrates how a simple single layer of T Shirt material (which actually is a stretchy material) blocks droplets. A 100% cotton fabric actually does a better job of blocking droplets but the T shirt material seems to do the trick too. I've done this "experiment" using my own masks on my mirror at home and not one droplet is sprayed on the mirror. I won't wear a mask in public until the mask passes that test. I also will not wear a mask in public that I can blow out a flame.

Masks do block droplets. Let's not forget that the virus DOES NOT travel on its own. The virus is encased in droplets and aerosols.........

How a mask blocks droplets - YouTube

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-25-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
People who use the term "useless" and "ineffective" with regards to masks and COVID are the ones who are either seriously naïve or worse. Reference peer reviewed articles that make such claims (with the citation) and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, it's an opinion and one that contradicts the guidance from medical experts around the world.

I get it that many people don't want to wear a mask but to make ridiculous statements that could potentially put others in jeopardy to justify one's decision is lame. Just say - I won't wear a mask, walk away and go about your business.

BTW: COVID is a death sentence for many people. Another erroneous and naïve statement to justify one's opinion.
I agree with everything you said in your post but I have one question for you........

How do you get those two dots above the i? I don't know what that punctuation is called but I don't seem to have that on my keyboard. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttysal1 View Post
FACT: Countries that do not wear masks have the lowest mortality/ hospitalization rates in the world ( India, Pakistan, and Sweden for example! Also, Sweden never closed down anything but had a totally OPEN policy including all schools.
This is a very grim look at what Sweden went through attempting herd immunity. Looks like they did not come out on the good side........

‘It’s been so, so surreal.’ Critics of Sweden’s lax pandemic policies face fierce backlash | Science | AAAS

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-25-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I agree with everything you said in your post but I have one question for you........

How do you get those two dots above the i? I don't know what that punctuation is called but I don't seem to have that on my keyboard. Thanks.
What type of device are you using to post your very entertaining comments?😁. If you are using an iPad if you long press on the ‘I’ you will be shown other optïons!
Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 PM

It is all over Google>
Old 10-24-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyBraga View Post
First, did you ever stop and think that some people cannot wear masks and that a clear shield is the only way to comply with establishments that require a facial covering? People that have been victims of rape, assault and childhood molestation cannot stand anything which covers the face.
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to nip that blanket generalization in the bud. Don't confuse "don't want to" or "don't like it" with "CANNOT." It's an excuse just like "I can't breathe with a mask on." Millions of people do their jobs wearing masks all day long without problems.
As a Veteran with PTSD and a MST survivor, I do understand anxiety.
I don't enjoy wearing masks either, my glasses fog up, I start sweating from wicked hot flashes, but I suck it up and do it because it's the right thing to do and I have health risk factors that make me susceptible. If you think wearing a mask is so horrible then you would REALLY hate being on a ventilator.
I suppose a face shield is better than nothing at all, as I don't know if they are effective whatsoever, but mathematically and scientifically, masks do help. If a public place or business requires them, then I'm gonna wear them even though they are uncomfortable. We're all just trying to be as safe as possible for everyone's sake. We always have choices; you can either put your big girl panties on and deal with the inconvenience or, if you absolutely refuse to mask up, you can stay home.
I believe it's going to be at least another year before the virus is under control, if ever, and it would be because of so many stubborn, non-compliant people not getting how important it is to do what we can to protect ourselves and our fellow humans. JMHO

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
What type of device are you using to post your very entertaining comments?. If you are using an iPad if you long press on the ‘I’ you will be shown other optïons!
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I guess my Dell laptop doesn't have that feature.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-25-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii

I guess my Dell laptop doesn't have that feature.
Maybe this will help:

Keyboard shortcuts for international characters - Outlook
Closed Thread

Tags
events, shields, clear, people, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.