Clearing up rumors on commercial leasing in The Village

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

I'm pretty sure I have had "intense" debates with folks on here in the past regarding a business paying TV a percentage of profit. Pretty sure most folks on here declared that a myth and nonsense. Pretty sure I had first hand knowledge that this was a practice. Pretty sure, if I recall correctly, Tutt came out publicly a gave a total denial of this in the past. Now they say it's a myth, but not really a myth.
Really don't give a flying flip, but interesting that they finally come clean, well kind of clean regarding this myth....

Dr. Seuss
Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

I have tried to stay out of this discussion, but I guess I cannot help myself. This topic has been discussed in various forms many times. I am still amazed by the number of posters that think the Developers of The Villages should not be successful! To the topic of retail shops paying a percentage of their sales, this should not be a surprise to the leasees. Did they read and agree to the lease before signing? Did they build this cost into their business plans? If a store or restaurant is successful The Developers should be partners in this success. The Developers built the building and infrastructure, the Developers markets The Villages to bring new residents and visitors to the area. They are not Guido showing up and demanding protection money. What you and I think about it no consequence. If you say the prices we would pay would be lower, my reply is we have bargains galore here in The Villages. Don't agree? Go to Disney Springs, go to Ft. Lauderdale, go to Captiva Island. Then you will realize how good we have it here!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I have tried to stay out of this discussion, but I guess I cannot help myself. This topic has been discussed in various forms many times. I am still amazed by the number of posters that think the Developers of The Villages should not be successful! To the topic of retail shops paying a percentage of their sales, this should not be a surprise to the leasees. Did they read and agree to the lease before signing? Did they build this cost into their business plans? If a store or restaurant is successful The Developers should be partners in this success. The Developers built the building and infrastructure, the Developers markets The Villages to bring new residents and visitors to the area. They are not Guido showing up and demanding protection money. What you and I think about it no consequence. If you say the prices we would pay would be lower, my reply is we have bargains galore here in The Villages. Don't agree? Go to Disney Springs, go to Ft. Lauderdale, go to Captiva Island. Then you will realize how good we have it here!
I so agree.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Golf Cart Store

There was an Ezgo golf cart store for sales and repairs in Spanish Springs. They had been there for some time. One time there was a sign they were closing and when asked the owner why he said because they doubled his rent. This was about at the same time the Villages opened up their large Golf Cart store for sales and repair at the other end of the Mall. Sad but allegedly The Villages ruled because they had the power and control. It is hard to place a value on their behavior as this could have happened in any community.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
There was an Ezgo golf cart store for sales and repairs in Spanish Springs. They had been there for some time. One time there was a sign they were closing and when asked the owner why he said because they doubled his rent. This was about at the same time the Villages opened up their large Golf Cart store for sales and repair at the other end of the Mall. Sad but allegedly The Villages ruled because they had the power and control. It is hard to place a value on their behavior as this could have happened in any community.
Of course, we all know that just because someone says that, doesn't make it true.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Having bought 3 carts from this store, I also knew the Manager (not the owner). I got a somewhat different story as why they closed this location. Doubling of the rent was not mentioned.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

"What’s the No. 1 myth being perpetuated about commercial leasing in The Villages?
That every business in The Villages pays to The Villages Developer a percentage of every dollar they take in. I have heard this from the first day, and it is completely false. Some businesses do pay a percentage of sales only after they exceed a certain threshold that is predetermined and agreed upon. It’s a clause in their lease that kicks in only after sales reach a certain threshold; so it’s pre-negotiated. This is a common practice in retail leases nationwide. Within The Villages, only 7 percent of our businesses met this criteria last year."

After burning a few brain cells I have concluded that based on the above, the developer would try to maximize the number of businesses paying the percentage and exceeding the threshold. A few more brain cells were expended to deduce that to achieve said maximization, the developer would favor business models with a track record of exceeding the threshold. Assuming my theory is true, and looking at recently added and soon to come businesses, I conclude that those wishing for Trader Joe's or Costco's will receive instead.......assisted living and memory care facilities.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I can say with knowledge that some major Corporations Corporate Attorney's will tell their Pricing Departments that if the product they are announcing has no competition then the only thing that should measure their price is "GREED"The villages is not a charity and it does not have a soul. It is a profit making business. In large business's you have laws that govern their behavior, (e.g. antitrust, price fixing, etc.etc.). We do not have that in the villages. The trade off is quality of life vs controls. I guess you could say the POA is a sort of control but it also has limits.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage

Everyone seeking to rent for business has a choice to make. Renting in a high traffic area such as a mall or a vacation destination will cost more than a place not on the beaten path.. The owner of the property has the leverage. The lessee has the choice before committing to the contract.

Many people who do not carefully research the fees versus the potential business generated or are unrealistic in their expectations fail. Business success is particularly challenging in an area where there is high volume for three or four months of the year that requires hiring extra help. It also requires carefully managing the profit gained during that time to continue business during the lean times.

Many business owners know how to do this and many do not. Blaming the lessor is side stepping the entire issue. Does the business have enough volume to cover expenses and make a profit large enough to sustain it during low volume?

How to Sign a Shopping Center Lease and Not Get Mauled
Old 07-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Everyone seeking to rent for business has a choice to make. Renting in a high traffic area such as a mall or a vacation destination will cost more than a place not on the beaten path.. The owner of the property has the leverage. The lessee has the choice before committing to the contract.

Many people who do not carefully research the fees versus the potential business generated or are unrealistic in their expectations fail. Business success is particularly challenging in an area where there is high volume for three or four months of the year that requires hiring extra help. It also requires carefully managing the profit gained during that time to continue business during the lean times.

Many business owners know how to do this and many do not. Blaming the lessor is side stepping the entire issue. Does the business have enough volume to cover expenses and make a profit large enough to sustain it during low volume?

Uninformed people can blame the developer all they want, but I believe it simply boils down to this!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Important

As mentioned it is important to remember that a Corporation does not have a conscience or soul. People want to give them these and dismiss that they are really a "profit making business' and are guided by returns, revenue, personal benefits up to and including
Old 07-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
As mentioned it is important to remember that a Corporation does not have a conscience or soul. People want to give them these and dismiss that they are really a "profit making business' and are guided by returns, revenue, personal benefits up to and including
Corporations don't have personalities and ethics but business owners do. I believe that this family, the Morses, owners of the company that has much to do about how things are run here, have acted ethically in their business. It is my opinion that there is very little to criticize about how they do things.

They take excellent care of the place. Yesterday, I saw a team of painters painting the interior of the pool baths at Laurel Manor Rec Center. They follow a regularly scheduled program to maintain this place.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Corporations don't have personalities and ethics but business owners do. I believe that this family, the Morses, owners of the company that has much to do about how things are run here, have acted ethically in their business. It is my opinion that there is very little to criticize about how they do things.

They take excellent care of the place. Yesterday, I saw a team of painters painting the interior of the pool baths at Laurel Manor Rec Center. They follow a regularly scheduled program to maintain this place.
Yes. they do take excellent care of "the place" and they should.

At approximately $150 a month per unit, if they didn't, all hell would break loose!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

For persons new to TOTV. About half of the posters to this and other "real estate ' related threads do not know what they are talking about. Read with a grain of salt.

Tags
villages, businesses, business, lease, commercial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.