Climate controlled Lanai

Climate controlled Lanai

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Climate controlled Lanai
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Gold member

Question Climate controlled Lanai

I saw a Lantana home for sale today that has an acrylic enclosed lanai. The lanai is climate controlled with two vents in the ceiling which look professionally installed. My concern with adding vents to a central A/C and heating system is that the flow of air is compromised for the rest of the house.

The reason for my concern is we had a home built in south Florida several years ago which we paid to have an additional A/C and heat vent added to the dining room. To our dismay, we never could cool the adjacent living room adequately in the heat of the summer. We were told by the company that installed the additional dining room vent in our brand new home that the flow of air was disturbed by adding that vent. I never did understand why we weren't told by the builder that there was a possibility that the cooling in other rooms may be compromised.

Is there a problem with adequate cooling and heating in a Lantana when two vents are added to an enclosed lanai? Thanks to all who reply.

Bump
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Default Bump

... (Bump)
I am interested in hearing responses to this too

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Veteran member

My lanai is already controlled by the climate!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
My lanai is already controlled by the climate!
To be perfectly honest...I would prefer a lanai not enclosed with acrylic windows. I like the idea of having as much breeze as possible going through the lanai but realize I wouldn't use the lanai very much in the middle of the summer.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Before you can "extend" your existing AC to cover additional space, the contractor is required to test your AC for adequacy. Rather than extending our existing AC into our enclosed lanai, we opted to add a Mitsubishi wall unit that handles humidity, heat and AC. Very convenient. We only have to put it on when we need it, rather than having the AC/heat run in the lanai when we don't want it to. For example, this past week when we had those 2 cold days, we turned on the heat in the lanai for about 15 min to get the chill out, but we did not need the heat in our main residence area.
Probably depends
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Gold member

Default Probably depends

a lot on the direction your lanai faces, how big it is, how shaded it is, etc.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgolfer View Post
Before you can "extend" your existing AC to cover additional space, the contractor is required to test your AC for adequacy. Rather than extending our existing AC into our enclosed lanai, we opted to add a Mitsubishi wall unit that handles humidity, heat and AC. Very convenient. We only have to put it on when we need it, rather than having the AC/heat run in the lanai when we don't want it to. For example, this past week when we had those 2 cold days, we turned on the heat in the lanai for about 15 min to get the chill out, but we did not need the heat in our main residence area.
That is the way to go. Anytime you add extra vents to a ac system you lower its cooling power to the rest of the house. The system that was put into your house was designed to do your home. The Mitsubishi system is a good one. I installed ac in supermarkets.
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum member

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgolfer View Post
Thanks! That was the type of information I was looking for. My ideal house of the future will include an enclosed lanai. One reason is that natural predators could tear birdcage screens and hurt my pets.

I currently have a large screened lanai - part birdcage, part screened and covered. But the rain, pollen, roof grit, and other things come in and need to be vacuumed regularly, and power washed yearly. In spots where the drainage is not even, puddles build up that have to be removed by a wet/dry vac, and cause mold stains. And during the summer when it is above 85 I won't enjoy sitting out there. Enclosing the lanai in a climate controlled environment, with the the option of louvered windows or sliding windows with screens sounds best for my situation.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Can you say what model Mitsubishi you have and how is it installed? Does it protrude out a window or????? How does it look in the room? Thank you as I am making this decision as we speak
ductless split
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Default ductless split

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Can you say what model Mitsubishi you have and how is it installed? Does it protrude out a window or????? How does it look in the room? Thank you as I am making this decision as we speak
They are called ductless split heat pump systems. you will have a condensing unit outside and the airhandler wall mounted on your lanai. they will be connected by refrigeration line set and line voltage wiring. you will also need a condensate drain line. Mitsubishi is a good one but there are others too.
This is IMO the only way to go. Just make sure they size the unit (BTUs) properly. To big is as bad as too small.
Closed Thread