Close encounter with a BAD attitude..

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Close encounter with a BAD attitude..

While hitting balls on the range, one "gentleman" (snowbird)decided to hit balls outside the ropes (real nice grass), ambassador asked him to hit balls inside the ropes, he refused.....Hmm!....Is it just me, or do some of the "birds" have a bad attitude?....My theory, life in the fast lane is a difficult adjustment to layed back paradise, not an excuse just a theory IMHO.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Sage

Some people can arrive here with an "attitude." I don't mean that in a truly negative way, but when they spend more time at another location, dealing with more congestion, more traffic, work, more difficult weather conditions, etc., they might just not be able to lay back so to speak. They might also feel they're on vacation and well, they are, but each area one lives in, has rules. Golf courses outside of The Villages have rules about where one may hit on the driving range. Some tend to forget, feel they're entitled. They can also appear to feel that those who work around here might not be their equals. It's too bad that every once in a while, one comes across an individual who acts like an.....well you can use your own descriptive word...

Hopefully, in a short while, the "gentleman" with the questionable attitude will come to recognize that this is his hometown and he plays some part in keeping it nice....just like any other place. A community stays nice when all take some part in making sure it does.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Default while we're at it . . .

what's with some of the people in grocery stores? I always apologize when my cart bumps anyone else's (even if they ran into me), or if I pull out in front of someone, but I'm finding many down here don't acknowledge the apology at all, and never say anything like - "Oh, I'm sorry - that was my fault, wasn't paying attention, or whatever." They don't even look at you!

I have lived all over the South and Midwest, and rarely encountered this before.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Some people can arrive here with an "attitude." I don't mean that in a truly negative way, but when they spend more time at another location, dealing with more congestion, more traffic, work, more difficult weather conditions, etc., they might just not be able to lay back so to speak. They might also feel they're on vacation and well, they are, but each area one lives in, has rules. Golf courses outside of The Villages have rules about where one may hit on the driving range. Some tend to forget, feel they're entitled. They can also appear to feel that those who work around here might not be their equals. It's too bad that every once in a while, one comes across an individual who acts like an.....well you can use your own descriptive word...
Well...I listened carefully to each of you sweet people and I agree with you.... and I may just have to go beat up on that fella.

And the descriptive word??? Well since this guy was at a golf practice area, perhaps it would have something with "hole" in it....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Life is real simple....you either have good manners or you don't. At our age I say it is too late to learn good manners; if, by now, you don't know the difference between right and wrong, sadly you will not change.

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Life is real simple....you either have good manners or you don't. At our age I say it is too late to learn good manners; if, by now, you don't know the difference between right and wrong, sadly you will not change.
Simpler yet! You can choose to be miserable or be happy. I have chosen happy.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well...I listened carefully to each of you sweet people and I agree with you.... and I may just have to go beat up on that fella.

And the descriptive word??? Well since this guy was at a golf practice area, perhaps it would have something with "hole" in it....
Your PSYCHIC, too, Gracie. I was thinking of exactly the same word....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
.......And the descriptive word??? Well since this guy was at a golf practice area, perhaps it would have something with "hole" in it....

Hmmmm.......well, I uhhhhh........errrrrrr.......I think you might need to help me with that one, gg!

Bill
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Ohiogirl;

I know exactly what you're talking about!! Within the past few weeks due to some health issues I've had to utilize those electric grocery buggies that the stores offer. I've been absolutely astonished at how rude and inconsiderate some people can be. Notice that the operative word is "some". Many people are friendly and helpful while others stand in the middle of the aisle refusing to move or, even worse, look you right in the eye and refuse to move anyway.

There is no doubt that the majority of residents are a joy to be around. Isn't it a disapointment that there are others you just wish would go somewhere else?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

Let's assume you run into - sorry, you're run into - by six people in Publix one day.

That six people constitute approximately .0075% of The Villages.

No excuse for them, I certainly agree, but they're such a small number, perhaps you can just snear at them!

SWR
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Ohiogirl;

I know exactly what you're talking about!! Within the past few weeks due to some health issues I've had to utilize those electric grocery buggies that the stores offer. I've been absolutely astonished at how rude and inconsiderate some people can be. Notice that the operative word is "some". Many people are friendly and helpful while others stand in the middle of the aisle refusing to move or, even worse, look you right in the eye and refuse to move anyway.

There is no doubt that the majority of residents are a joy to be around. Isn't it a disapointment that there are others you just wish would go somewhere else?
I have a mobility scooter that I use in cases where a walk would be too much for me, and in the few weeks that I've been in TV I have not experienced what you describe. Might be that I've just been lucky so far.

I've been to two Walmarts, a Target and a few smaller businesses and have encountered no one that I could consider to be rude. Some who have blocked my way couldn't move aside faster once they realized that they were blocking me. Matter of fact I've encountered people that have apologized (like at asile ends) when there was no reason for them to do so. In furnature stores I've even had employees move furnature for me, again when it wasn't even necessary.

For years I worked where I dealt with the public and can say that 99.9% of them were good people that I enjoyed serving. But... that .1% really made life miserable. So I'm sure I'll run unto one of them sooner or later.

Perhaps I haven't had a problem so far because I'm a large person and people are afraid that I'll grab my cane and clobber them with it if they don't move!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Gold member

I would like to share a story about first impressions and being wrong. The operational office I manage was moved to a new location in a different building. To get to our office area, I passed through the Customer Service area each morning. Since I'm a friendly guy, I would say good morning to two ladies near the passage way (open to their office counter) each morning. They in turn would just stare and me and say nothing. In a general conversation with one of my office friends, I mentioned that some of the Customer Service people were pretty rude for folks working in that field. He then informed me that the two ladies I spoke of were totally deaf. It had never dawned on me that anyone in customer service could be deaf. Turns out they were really nice people after I got to know them better. I just started to wave hello to them when I passed and they started to wave back.
This taught me a valuable lesson. Do not be too quick to judge others based on limited knowledge. Someone may be feeling ill, in pain, having family problems and not be their normal jolly selves, but given an encouraging smile and a little understanding, they may be good people.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Gold member
Default manners

One thing we noticed . At Publixs , no one will ever let you go ahead if you have a few items. Even the sales people will mention this. Back in Michigan,people will always say go ahead. This is at Publix at Colony Plaza.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
One thing we noticed . At Publixs , no one will ever let you go ahead if you have a few items. Even the sales people will mention this. Back in Michigan,people will always say go ahead. This is at Publix at Colony Plaza.
That has become a very busy grocery store with all the new Villagers moving in. Honestly, the clerks are really nice, but some of the shoppers are still new to Villages life and it's unsettling to say the least. This is the lot where hubby was nearly backed into by a woman in her car, not paying attention to people walking with shopping carts. More people in the store seem wrapped up in their new food center and don't pay as much attention to what's going on around them. They stand in the middle of an aisle, blocking others from going in either direction. Getting used to a new grocery store takes a bit of time, and some are just slower at it than others. Most do smile and laugh when in a situation where no carts can move....in the fresh fruit and veggie area for example, but I've not yet encountered people not letting others go ahead of them. I have had some great conversations in the checkout line with fellow Villagers. New homeowners enjoy talking about their new life, their new home, their groceries...lol.

I try not to go to the store you mentioned right now, not because I don't like it, but because it is crowded, without a doubt! They'll get better, at least I do hope so...lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Founder

One day I was at Walmart buying one item. I went to the 10 items or less check out line and there was a guy in front of me with a cart filled to the brim with groceries.

As he and I waited for our turn, him ahead of me, I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "excuse me, I have lost my glasses, could you tell me what the sign up there says? ( I pointed to the 10 items or less sign).

He looked up and read, "Ten....Items.....or......less." Guess what he did. He just stood right were he was.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.