Close encounter with a BAD attitude..

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

Number 6 hit it directly on the head. You can be happy or you can be crabby. Like Number 6 I prefer happy. I just take those crabby people with a grain of salt and it just reinforces how happy I am to be living here and how NICE MOST of the people are. It truly is paradise, witha few parasites.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Talk Host

Another case of entitlement or maybe NO conscience at all, unbelievable....
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage
Default Pooh

...I really felt sorry for the ambassador, who was justing doing his job, I wonder how much authority they have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Some people can arrive here with an "attitude." I don't mean that in a truly negative way, but when they spend more time at another location, dealing with more congestion, more traffic, work, more difficult weather conditions, etc., they might just not be able to lay back so to speak. They might also feel they're on vacation and well, they are, but each area one lives in, has rules. Golf courses outside of The Villages have rules about where one may hit on the driving range. Some tend to forget, feel they're entitled. They can also appear to feel that those who work around here might not be their equals. It's too bad that every once in a while, one comes across an individual who acts like an.....well you can use your own descriptive word...

Hopefully, in a short while, the "gentleman" with the questionable attitude will come to recognize that this is his hometown and he plays some part in keeping it nice....just like any other place. A community stays nice when all take some part in making sure it does.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
One thing we noticed . At Publixs , no one will ever let you go ahead if you have a few items. Even the sales people will mention this. Back in Michigan,people will always say go ahead. This is at Publix at Colony Plaza.
i've done that many times,letting someone go ahead if they only have a few items. Saying no one will let you go ahead is just wrong. Some do, some don't.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default You might point out to him....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
He looked up and read, "Ten....Items.....or......less." Guess what he did. He just stood right were he was.
"Sir, we have established you can read, so your issue must be that you can't count?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

Without a doubt...the Publix at Colony is really, really busy. Was told be a checker (and this was BEFORE the snowbirds arrived) to try to come b/4 11:00 as it just "explodes" with people about then. Also after supper is a good time (but I never think of it during these times---so my fault). My hope is that another store will open up on the other end of 466A pretty soon!

I've notice people being "pre-occupied" when shopping there and I am that way too on my BIG shopping day. BUT what seems a bit 'discouraging' is if people stop, with their carts and have a conversation with someone they've happened to see there and NOT move out of the way---that is beyond rude.

My spouse will tell me when I come home and am sputtering about people's behaviors with "fill in the blank". I get the answer.."get over it! It's a fact of life that people will do what they do! Just *you* keep observant and watch out!" Wise-counsel but some days really "take the cake".
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Sage

Perhaps another explanation. I have been at WalMart when the clerk in the express lane with no one in line will wave someone with a full cart over so they don't have to wait in the regular lines if they are full.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Sage
Default bump

bump
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Platinum member

I blame it on vacationers. They have paid their high rent and are here to party, others be damned.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I blame it on vacationers. They have paid their high rent and are here to party, others be damned.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage
Default This problem is also on the road

I noticed at the new 4-way stop going into SS from Delmar, MANY times have had close encounters with drivers that are NOT waiting their turn and it seems to manifest during snowbird season, or is it just me!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Rude Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
While hitting balls on the range, one "gentleman" (snowbird)decided to hit balls outside the ropes (real nice grass), ambassador asked him to hit balls inside the ropes, he refused.....Hmm!....Is it just me, or do some of the "birds" have a bad attitude?....My theory, life in the fast lane is a difficult adjustment to layed back paradise, not an excuse just a theory IMHO.
...He probably enters the sand bunkers from the high side, does not fill divots, fix ball marks or rake sand either. I have seen him (or a clone) just about every time I play golf here in The Villages. That goes for exec and championship courses. Drives me nuts!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

The culture of The Villagers for the most part that I have seen is to be very friendly, especially when they are approached with friendliness. Smiling broadly in the face of lack of courteousness or when politely providing advice or suggestions to others (like the man hitting outside the ropes) is the best way to 'indoctrinate' others to begin to understand that they have now moved to (or are visiting) the south, and, more specifically TV, where courtesy and graciousness is the standard. Think of it as kindly helping others learn the ways of TV.

It may take a while for some to catch on, but none of us are ever too old to become friendlier, if that is what we are constantly exposed to. Plus, keeping a smile on your face in the presence of others who may not be or appear as happy will keep their attitude from affecting yours, and will keep you more able to see the humorous side of many otherwise negative situations - just smile (and, after you are away from the situation, shake your head, if it is still bothering you) and you'll feel alot of the stress go away.

Another thing I was taught years ago that helps with keeping a negative thought or situation from affecting your own mood is to move your hands in front of you in the motion of 'dusting them off' and then hold them next to each other upright in front of your mouth and 'blow' across them - as if to blow away any remaining 'residue'. It is the figurative act of letting go of something instead of holding onto it.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Sage

Sometimes it is a carryover from prior locations. I know when I got here from SoCal, I had a period of adjustment. I used to drive the freeways to and from work where aggressive driving was the norm. Anything to gain a car length. Four way stop? You snooze, you lose. I wasn't very aggressive, but I certainly needed to tone it down when I got here. Perhaps some of what we are seeing is that carryover, in cars, carts, in the stores, and on the courses.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM

I agree with your statement.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.