Close encounter with a BAD attitude..

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I blame it on vacationers. They have paid their high rent and are here to party, others be damned.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------09-08-2009, 03:59 PM

I agree with all. Come and visit yourself. You can enjoy all that is offered. Come back a second time and show your family that all the "hype" is true. Enjoy

Polo Ridge 2002 - 2009

Bonita Oct 2009 until the box takes me out !!!!

Golf2140 here is one of your old postings...boy you sure changed your tune. Nice to be one of us and not one of them?
Thank you LI & Bogie, I agree with you both 100%
Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage
Default Class

Some people brighten a room when they enter and some when they leave.

IMHO - It's a matter of having class.

If you have class you don't need much of anything else. If you don't have it, no matter what else you have, it doesn't make much difference.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Soooooo true 2bntv

This also applies to the golfers....I just don't understand why some villagers are in such a big hurry....Why the rush, must have to get home to see re-runs of Judge Judy....Giggle, giggle, snort, snort....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Some people brighten a room when they enter and some when they leave.

IMHO - It's a matter of having class.

If you have class you don't need much of anything else. If you don't have it, no matter what else you have, it doesn't make much difference.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
While hitting balls on the range, one "gentleman" (snowbird)decided to hit balls outside the ropes (real nice grass), ambassador asked him to hit balls inside the ropes, he refused.....Hmm!....Is it just me, or do some of the "birds" have a bad attitude?....My theory, life in the fast lane is a difficult adjustment to layed back paradise, not an excuse just a theory IMHO.
How tacky. If I were practicing to his left, I might have gotten flustered and accidentally hit a 90-degree slice.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
The culture of The Villagers for the most part that I have seen is to be very friendly, especially when they are approached with friendliness. Smiling broadly in the face of lack of courteousness or when politely providing advice or suggestions to others (like the man hitting outside the ropes) is the best way to 'indoctrinate' others to begin to understand that they have now moved to (or are visiting) the south, and, more specifically TV, where courtesy and graciousness is the standard. Think of it as kindly helping others learn the ways of TV.

It may take a while for some to catch on, but none of us are ever too old to become friendlier, if that is what we are constantly exposed to. Plus, keeping a smile on your face in the presence of others who may not be or appear as happy will keep their attitude from affecting yours, and will keep you more able to see the humorous side of many otherwise negative situations - just smile (and, after you are away from the situation, shake your head, if it is still bothering you) and you'll feel alot of the stress go away.
Kidding aside, I agree with you. Kindness and courtesy are easy to give, and are contagious.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
While hitting balls on the range, one "gentleman" (snowbird)decided to hit balls outside the ropes (real nice grass), ambassador asked him to hit balls inside the ropes, he refused.....Hmm!....Is it just me, or do some of the "birds" have a bad attitude?....My theory, life in the fast lane is a difficult adjustment to layed back paradise, not an excuse just a theory IMHO.
Just kick the guy out... For every jerk that leaves there are 5 nice people waiting come in and hit some golf balls.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Platinum member

Some six years ago, before I came to TV, my weekly grocery shopping expedition was done in what must be considered as equivalent to our local Publix stores. I seemed always to manage to arrive at the same time as the shuttle from a near-by upscale assisted-living venue.

This always ended up as an exercise in how to politely and quietly overlook and overcome negative thoughts from the General Public!

I strongly hope that folks will latch on to the various threads on this site and subsequently transmit lots of fun-inducing info to all!
SWR
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
i've done that many times,letting someone go ahead if they only have a few items. Saying no one will let you go ahead is just wrong. Some do, some don't.
Yes, it is just wrong. I usually let people with a few items jump ahead of me in a cashier line at Publix. I like doing it because I'm in no hurry, and people act like you gave them $100!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yes, it is just wrong. I usually let people with a few items jump ahead of me in a cashier line at Publix. I like doing it because I'm in no hurry, and people act like you gave them $100!
Bare. You are so dear. If all the world were just like you!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

I have run into a few Grumpys ,but for the most part, everyone is kind.

Bottom line is you would never allow your children or grandchildren to act as some Villagers/visitors do in public, and i'm sure they wouldn't either. So why is their bad behavior to be tolerated and accepted?

Besides, you're retired--what's the rush?
Village of Hemmingway
Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Founder

I had a variation of this recently. At Walmart, a nice lady with a bunch of stuff invited me to go ahead of her becuase I had on a couple items. I graciously accepted. But, there was another guy behind me that had on a couple of things too, so she let him go ahead as well. Theeeeeen, yet another person was behind her with few items, she let him/her go ahead. All three of us said to her that she will never get out of here if she keeps acting like that.

I think she may still be there.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I had a variation of this recently. At Walmart, a nice lady with a bunch of stuff invited me to go ahead of her becuase I had on a couple items. I graciously accepted. But, there was another guy behind me that had on a couple of things too, so she let him go ahead as well. Theeeeeen, yet another person was behind her with few items, she let him/her go ahead. All three of us said to her that she will never get out of here if she keeps acting like that.

Well, yeah, but hey, not only did I get to read the entire new issue of The National Enquirer, I got to finish The Globe, too.

Tabloidy-Good-Time Nice Lady Boomer
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D View Post
I have run into a few Grumpys ,but for the most part, everyone is kind.

Bottom line is you would never allow your children or grandchildren to act as some Villagers/visitors do in public, and i'm sure they wouldn't either. So why is their bad behavior to be tolerated and accepted?
I don't usually like to answer a question with another question, but here I have to ask, why be interolent or unaccepting and create a problem that doesn't yet exist?

I'm not saying that you are basicly wrong in what you've said, but people are human and people will be people, but being grumpy in and of itself is not really a problem except for the grumps themselves. Besides, I can think of a number of reasons that can be causing one's grumpieness, mood or their need to "rush" if you will, and I'm not about to make what might be unfair judgement about them or make what seems to be their already miserable day even more miserable!
The Villages Florida Now, I might follow Mr/Mrs grumpy out into the parking lot then run them over with a steam roller The Villages Florida if they were grumpy or nasty to me, but I don't want to give them reason to be even grumpier by any unwarranted verbal reaction! The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post

I think she was still there when I was there this morning!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I don't usually like to answer a question with another question, but here I have to ask, why be interolent or unaccepting and create a problem that doesn't yet exist?

I'm not saying that you are basicly wrong in what you've said, but people are human and people will be people, but being grumpy in and of itself is not really a problem except for the grumps themselves. Besides, I can think of a number of reasons that can be causing one's grumpieness, mood or their need to "rush" if you will, and I'm not about to make what might be unfair judgement about them or make what seems to be their already miserable day even more miserable!
The Villages Florida Now, I might follow Mr/Mrs grumpy out into the parking lot then run them over with a steam roller The Villages Florida if they were grumpy or nasty to me, but I don't want to give them reason to be even grumpier by any unwarranted verbal reaction! The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
I always feel I need to defend myself when posting on Talk of The Villages for one reason or another( reason I rarely post anymore) because someone has taken things out of context. So here it goes:
"Grumpy" is a term I use to discribe someone who is miserible--and there are a few I have met down here. No matter what, they don't like it here and will be the first to tell you everything that is wrong with the place They usually demonstrate rude behavior to justify why they are unhappy.

As for "being retired" and "what's the rush". Stop and smell the roses so to speak. You worked hard all your life to get to this point to enjoy whats around you, and, we all know many who didn't make it. Relax.
There are no deadlines that must be met. Enjoy life--you earned it.

No more comments please, and I finally had enough. Signing off.

Wishing everyone well. Enjoy The Villages, its the best place ever.
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.