Birdfeeders

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Default Birdfeeders

Are birdfeeders allowed in yards? When we were looking at preowned, never saw any.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Default Re: Birdfeeders

We are on the northside and have birdfeeders.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My friend lives in Tall Trees, which has pretty restrictive rules about what can be done re outdoor decoration (basically, nothing much). She has two bird feeders in her back yard. She also has a nesting place on a very high pole back there. So, yes to the back, no to the front, at least for her. It may be different rules if you have another house backing yours. :dontknow: She has a very large pond.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Platinum member

A couple of my neighbors have feeders, even a birdbath in one yard. NOT in front, just in back.

You should note, though, that the newest areas (Duval, Hadley and similar Villages closer to CR466A than to CR466) are sadly devoid of significant bushes and trees, making the area unattractive to many birds. I have an elm in my yard, my neighbor has a couple of other non-palms and there are beginning to be more feathered visitors - but not a great many

SWR
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Most of the birds in this area are NOT seed eaters. Besides there is lots of food for them to find without going to a feeder. Now if you hang hot dogs outside about 4 feet off the ground you'll attract flocks of Sand Hill Cranes!!!

mm
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Hotdogs at 4 feet - don't know if this is a good idea - spouse might mistake them for his dinner....

Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM

as songbirds begin to move about in late feb / early march. they'll visit home feeders that are placed away from the house and near trees or tall shrubs for protection. the more trees in the area the better chances you'll spot visiting cardinals, blue jays and finches. it takes birds about a week to locate a new feeder so be patient especially in newer villages.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Veteran member

How about hummingbird feeders?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 AM

One thing I miss about Pennsylvania is feeding the birds, but I am happy to report a few weeks ago I put up a bird feeder next to a tree and everyday I have been getting little birds at the feeder. I think they are finches. A few doves sit on the ground and eat the seed that falls. I am so pleased!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Sage

You don't want a feeder that a Dove can perch on - a Dove will gobble up a feeder in no time!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Gold member

Up north we always had bird feeders. They were fun to watch. Attracted all kinds of birds and squirrels and when ground was snow covered we had deer around the feeders.

When we arrived in Florida, we were advised that bird baths were helpful especially during periods of no rain. We were advised by the owner of a local landscaping business to not put bird feeders in our yard. Seeds dropped to ground attracted mice and rats. They in turn attracted snakes, hawks, buzzards, owls and eagles. He advised us to stay out of the food chain and let the birds continue to survive on their own, which they did very well, before folks arrived to populate TV.

There have been several occasions where we have seen rodents in areas where residents drop food etc around pools, mail stations and areas of large dense plantings so they are here. Why encourage them to visit your yard?

In past few days our area has been visited by flocks of migrating Robins and several other varieties. They have cleaned several holly trees in our neighborhood of every red berry. These trees are native to area and always attract birds. They don't require bird seed.

I like to listen to the mockingbirds that are here year round (except when they start their serenade at 2AM). In more that 15 years in Florida, I have never seen a Mockingbird visit a birdfeeder.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.