CNBC rates top luxury retirement communities

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts
Default CNBC rates top luxury retirement communities

Short article with six communities. None approach the scale of TV.

Yes, TV made the list.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/6-to...mmunities.html
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 AM

I noticed that nowhere in the descriptions of the communities does it address the size or population of residents. With that in mind the Villages should be removed!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
I noticed that nowhere in the descriptions of the communities does it address the size or population of residents. With that in mind the Villages should be removed!
Change the variables measured and perhaps more than TV would fall out.....for being too big? Not big enough?

There is a critical mass population size that does in fact make an area attractive to national brands/retail......or not.

What is in the eye/mind of the beholder is perhaps the most relevant, personal, factor.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Platinum member

Hard to believe Solavita was on this list!

If you lived there you would be afraid to leave the
neighborhood.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM

The most fascinating data was included in the footnotes:

It was obvious that the residents of Covenant Shores, so close to Seattle, would trend heavily liberal and include the most voters for Bernie Sanders.

That the residents of Rio Verde, so close to Phoenix, accept that it occasionally gets so hot that planes cannot fly.

That the denizens of The Clare don't mind that the only thing that grows on the South Side of Chicago is the crime rate.

And least surprisingly, that Villagers so easily tip the scale with the highest IQs, most pleasing appearance, and best sense of humor.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Not only does it get so hot in the Phoenix area that aircraft cannot land or take off they have experienced at least a couple Haboobs as they affected my flights. Haboob - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post

neighborhood.
Funny you should say that. We went there for a visit many years back and I felt the same way but thought maybe it was just me. It was exactly the reason I crossed it off of our list. Otherwise, it was a really nice community with very nice amenities and equally friendly and helpful residents. I just couldn't get past the idea of having to go outside the community to do shopping, etc, because I didn't feel safe.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
The most fascinating data was included in the footnotes:

It was obvious that the residents of Covenant Shores, so close to Seattle, would trend heavily liberal and include the most voters for Bernie Sanders.

That the residents of Rio Verde, so close to Phoenix, accept that it occasionally gets so hot that planes cannot fly.

That the denizens of The Clare don't mind that the only thing that grows on the South Side of Chicago is the crime rate.

And least surprisingly, that Villagers so easily tip the scale with the highest IQs, most pleasing appearance, and best sense of humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Not only does it get so hot in the Phoenix area that aircraft cannot land or take off they have experienced at least a couple Haboobs as they affected my flights. Haboob - Wikipedia
Well that's pretty much a wrap - there's no place like The Villages!!

Certainly glad that's the choice we made!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

And let’s not forget the sugar tax in Seattle which may go statewide. Is there a Washington state soda tax in the works?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:

neighborhood.
Please elaborate
Old 02-17-2018, 05:23 AM
Platinum member

The Clare. Right in the middle of Chicago, The gun free murder capital of the world. The highest tax state in the US . The capital thieves are right now working on a plan to tax pensions and any other retirement income. Cold 9 months out of the year, and the wind never stops, but I see they drive you to breakfast

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMi View Post
Please elaborate
Inside the “gated” community the houses are more bang for your buck. Pool is nice golf ok, as long as you don’t mind playing same over and over. You have a community center with nice classes, but nothing like TV

Driving in and and to go shopping only thing on my mind was I hope I don’t get a flat tire and have to leave my vehicle on certain streets. We noticed preowned houses sit for awhile, for our experience were the same sell point or less than when first purchased. Bonus is their high season is not anything like ours as far as crowds.

Sales staff go out of their way to show you around, have a set schedule not to be changed, and have someone with you 85% of the time. That is a little creepy for us.

But as things evolve down the road it could be a nice community in time, and for some the area could be a non issue for them. The 3 day package is very affordable and before you take anyone’s thoughts on Solivita give them a try and see if it’s the right fit for you

Last edited by asianthree; 02-18-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMi View Post
Please elaborate
They try to keep you inside during the lifestyle visit.

We went out for dinner and our 2 choices were McD’s or Taco Bell.
Went to the Walmart for gas and it was thug life. Did not get gas and did not venture out again.

The crime statistics are scary.
Oh and it’s in Polk County - enough said.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum member

Covenant Shores- “One- and two-bedroom homes availabl,e and the community's entrance fee starts at $91,000, with monthly fees starting at $1,930.” Did anyone other than me read this as the 91k is not a starting price for a home, but rather an entrance fee? The $1900+ a month for a HOA fee?! Wow, makes our $150 amenity fee a bargain!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Covenant Shores- “One- and two-bedroom homes availabl,e and the community's entrance fee starts at $91,000, with monthly fees starting at $1,930.” Did anyone other than me read this as the 91k is not a starting price for a home, but rather an entrance fee? The $1900+ a month for a HOA fee?! Wow, makes our $150 amenity fee a bargain!
It's a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC). You're not buying a house or a condo.
Closed Thread

Tags
communities, approach, scale, top, rates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.