Code Changes For Developer To Put Apartments In Spanish Springs City and Other Places

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If they build a dedicated, lockable/remote-open/close parking garage with assigned spots for the tenants, I'd be right there in line to applaud the use of the upstairs as apartments.

If their plans don't include that, then I'll remain opposed. And I actually live IN Lady Lake, so my vote counts.
When Katie Belles was in business, how many people came to Spanish Springs to attend an event? How many cars were in Spanish Springs parking lots because of those events?
Now, I could be wrong, but I would think that the number of cars at best would be a wash, but most likely there will be fewer cars because of apartments than there were for a Katie Belles event.
Also... right now there are Villages offices on the second floor of some of the storefronts. Each person in those offices brings a car to work. If they put apartments on the second floor and move those offices to another location, all those cars will be gone.
My point is, I don't think the increase in the number of cars is going to be as big of an issue as someone might think.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
If they build a dedicated, lockable/remote-open/close parking garage with assigned spots for the tenants, I'd be right there in line to applaud the use of the upstairs as apartments.

If their plans don't include that, then I'll remain opposed. And I actually live IN Lady Lake, so my vote counts.
Why?
Old 06-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,247 Times in 4,282 Posts

Quote:

Are you planning to move there?

If not, why do you care about the parking?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

OP doesn't live here or he wouldn't post for us to try and degrade the lifestyle here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the email addresses. I have written to them all expressing my opposition. I live walking distance to Spanish Springs and attend outdoor shows there regularly.

Face it - we know human nature. Even though the prospective tenants will know in advance that music takes place there every night and will be okay with it when they sign their lease, sure enough the time will come when they will complain about it loudly. Then goodbye nightly shows.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Thanks for the email addresses. I have written to them all expressing my opposition. I live walking distance to Spanish Springs and attend outdoor shows there regularly.

Face it - we know human nature. Even though the prospective tenants will know in advance that music takes place there every night and will be okay with it when they sign their lease, sure enough the time will come when they will complain about it loudly. Then goodbye nightly shows.
Bull ****... entertainment and the square are going nowhere

Last edited by stanley; 06-09-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Many cities have them . It's common
Old 06-10-2021, 05:03 AM
Veteran member

I guess I don’t understand the problem, is tenant parking the issue ? If that is the issue, limit the number of apartments to be developed to preserve the public parking spaces. Not every storefront could have apartments above it .Limit to possibly ten units in the entire town square area.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

I’ve always thought it a waste of great space to see the balconies overlooking the squares with no one on them enjoying the atmosphere. However, with apartments they are going to have to be careful with rules to ensure the view those on the squares have of those themed buildings are not blighted by hanging laundry or weird artwork. The balcony rules will have to be similar to the front yard rules.

An alternate use of those spaces would be boutique hotels or short term rentals. Those here for shorter stays would find the nightly music charming, wouldn’t be concerned about personalizing the outdoor space, and would be fine with limited parking.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
The Billionaire contractor is taking the little City of Lady Lake to court to appeal the decision of the city to not change codes to allow second level apartments. You should let your opinions be known by contacting the city officials, maybe they can stand up to the contractor that wants these changes for their own benefit. Write, call or email the city; City of Lady Lake Town Hall
c/o Lady Lake Commissioners
409 Fennell Blvd.
Lady Lake, Fl 32159 "Lady Lake Commission
Monday, October 5, 2020 at 6:00 pm
City of Lady Lake Town Hall
409 Fennell Blvd.
Lady Lake, Fl 32159
Jim Richards - Mayor - Commissioner Chairman; jrichards@ladylake.org
Ruth Kussard - Commissioner; rkussad@ladylake.org
Dan Vincent - Commissioner; dvincent@ladylake.org
Paul Hannon - Commissioner; phannan@ladylake.org
Tony Holden - Commissioner ; tholden@ladylake.org
Whether they are "billionaires" or not has nothing to do with property rights. What do you have against successful people?
Old 06-10-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I guess I don’t understand the problem, is tenant parking the issue ? If that is the issue, limit the number of apartments to be developed to preserve the public parking spaces. Not every storefront could have apartments above it .Limit to possibly ten units in the entire town square area.
Actually, parking required for apartments is much less than for restaurants or businesses. There is plenty of existing parking.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
When Katie Belles was in business, how many people came to Spanish Springs to attend an event? How many cars were in Spanish Springs parking lots because of those events?
Now, I could be wrong, but I would think that the number of cars at best would be a wash, but most likely there will be fewer cars because of apartments than there were for a Katie Belles event.
Also... right now there are Villages offices on the second floor of some of the storefronts. Each person in those offices brings a car to work. If they put apartments on the second floor and move those offices to another location, all those cars will be gone.
My point is, I don't think the increase in the number of cars is going to be as big of an issue as someone might think.
Any time there's an event, or the Hooligans are in town, those spaces closest to the buildings in the back lots are jam-packed with cars and golf carts.

Sure that's only for 5 hours a night. But tenants will be renting those apartments 24/7, not just when it's convenient for customers. It's likely many of those tenants will need a spot close to their building's back door to haul in groceries, or potted plants for their balcony, or whatever else they might need on a daily basis. You can't dictate to them that they're not allowed to have their own spot within bag-carrying distance to their own back door, just because someone who doesn't even live in the Villages wants to park there for 3 hours.

You also need it for security reasons. After 10pm and until around 5-6am, those parking lots are otherwise vacant. Any golf cart in the wee hours in the lot is a sitting target for thieves, because there's no security after the bars close and until the first employees show up to open their shops in the morning.

Tenants should always have first dibs on dedicated parking spaces closest to the buildings in which they live. And because this is a golf cart community and you can EASILY and QUICKLY roll a golf cart onto a flatbed and take off before anyone knows sit's missing, they need some measure of security when there is no security to stop anyone.

That's really my one and only objection; that tenants should have their own parking garage. Maybe just a singular building with assigned stalls for golf carts, motorcycles, bicycles, or Smart Cars. Normal cars can park in the lot near the garage, but anything that can easily be stolen gets one garage space per apartment unit.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 AM
Default Apartments

Where I moved from, there were condos above stores and restaurants in the array towm. Very nice and expensive. Would be fun to live in one, if you could afford one.
The apartments that are a concern are the low rent ones around the villages.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
That's really my one and only objection; that tenants should have their own parking garage.
If you're a tenant, it could be a concern.............maybe, maybe not.

If you're not a tenant, not a concern.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossombaby View Post
that's really my one and only objection; that tenants should have their own parking garage. Maybe just a singular building with assigned stalls for golf carts, motorcycles, bicycles, or smart cars. Normal cars can park in the lot near the garage, but anything that can easily be stolen gets one garage space per apartment unit.
myob-jpeg
Closed Thread

Tags
lake, lady, city, commissioner;, commissioner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.