Code Changes For Developer To Put Apartments In Spanish Springs City and Other Places

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2021, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
OBB, so that’s really your only objection? You don’t see how apartments could spell the demise of live music in the square closest to our ‘hood?

You of all people are a keen observer of the “human nature” and business acumen I described elsewhere on this thread.

You don’t see this as a domino affect contemplated by the developer for some time, culminating in the eventual splintering of The Villages? Think of it as this week’s essay question!

Perhaps I’m way off base, but I gotta say the dots are connecting conspicuously. Just a coincidence?

I value your input, especially as a fellow denizen of the historic district.
It's not an objection, because I don't know if they are planning on building garages for golf carts or not. It's a concern. It's a condition that would make me object, if I knew the concern was not met.

I'm concerned that tenants might complain about the music, and that the property owner would be stuck with a lot of vacancies because people aren't going to want to live somewhere that they can't just shut the sound out. The property owner has no prior experience in city rentals. I lived in an apartment over a blues club. No one who lived there slept until after 2am when the club closed for the night. I don't think this is going to go how the developer is hoping it will go.

But no, I'm not worried at all about the music being halted as a result of tenants. I'm more worried about continued vacancies as a result of the music

The reason my concern is opposite of what you'd expect, is because I also know that vacancies = vagrancies. The last thing we need are squatters breaking into vacant apartments because there's no doorman, no security, the entire square shuts down after 10pm so there's no one to tell someone NOT to break in.

Security of tenants and their property is my biggest concern. If they can't address that, then I object to the project. If they can address it, then I'm fine with it. I imagine the bedrooms will be facing the back of the buildings, not the front. I honestly don't think noise of the squares is going to be a big problem, unless the tenants choose to make it a problem.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,249 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's not an objection, because I don't know if they are planning on building garages for golf carts or not. It's a concern. It's a condition that would make me object, if I knew the concern was not met.

I'm concerned that tenants might complain about the music, and that the property owner would be stuck with a lot of vacancies because people aren't going to want to live somewhere that they can't just shut the sound out. The property owner has no prior experience in city rentals. I lived in an apartment over a blues club. No one who lived there slept until after 2am when the club closed for the night. I don't think this is going to go how the developer is hoping it will go.[

But no, I'm not worried at all about the music being halted as a result of tenants. I'm more worried about continued vacancies as a result of the music

The reason my concern is opposite of what you'd expect, is because I also know that vacancies = vagrancies. The last thing we need are squatters breaking into vacant apartments because there's no doorman, no security, the entire square shuts down after 10pm so there's no one to tell someone NOT to break in.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 06-13-2021, 02:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Some of the SS 2nd floor buildings have been empty for awhile, with no issues of “squatters”. Even the first floor vacant building in the squares haven’t had issues. As for garages for golf carts, you will find many golf carts sitting outside, or under car ports in some areas, even some of the new patio villas don’t have a garage.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
That country club was never sold to a district. It is, was, and probably always will be owned by the developer.
The country club gone, it’s the new construction in area built out and sold years ago.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Some of the SS 2nd floor buildings have been empty for awhile, with no issues of “squatters”. Even the first floor vacant building in the squares haven’t had issues. As for garages for golf carts, you will find many golf carts sitting outside, or under car ports in some areas, even some of the new patio villas don’t have a garage.
In residential area’s not setting out around squares where most golf carts are stolen. If I left my cart out around squares if would have GPS tracker on it
Old 08-24-2021, 07:11 AM

He will be One of MANY
Old 08-24-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Because they did that to keep the subcontractors working during a slower period. Now there are shortages of workers everywhere.

A Villages salesperson said yesterday that they sold 70 new homes in one day last month.

Demand is there and most people are reasonable about letting successful people continue success. They know a bit about that. I'd guess Old Man Schwartz would be fairly proud of his downline.
I so agree.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnybelle View Post
Thanks for the great info - I just sent emails to all commissioners and copied your post and posted on Nextdoor.com

We need to start taking charge of our Hometown! It seems a lot of the newer residents are not aware and/or do not care...used to love this place until they tore down Katie Belles and Hacienda County club -and built South of 44 without providing the necessary facilites and golf courses...so crowded now that Mr. Schwartz would be so upset that his grandchildren are so disgracefully greedy and have spoiled our Hometown!

I would also like to know why we can't recycle - what a tremendous waste of all the plastic and glass bottles AND soda, food etc cans - wish we could find a place to take them. I heard they are saving The Villages $1million a year by using the new garbage company - really? -- would not be surprised if the "billionaire developers" had an interest in the new garbage company - I can only imagine the mountains of plastic bottles going up in smoke in one week. I'm not normally an environmentalist but this is CRAZY
Please try and educate yourself.....ignorance helps nobody.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-25-2021, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Thanks for the email addresses. I have written to them all expressing my opposition. I live walking distance to Spanish Springs and attend outdoor shows there regularly.

Face it - we know human nature. Even though the prospective tenants will know in advance that music takes place there every night and will be okay with it when they sign their lease, sure enough the time will come when they will complain about it loudly. Then goodbye nightly shows.
It should stipulate in the lease that there is nightly live music and that should be acknowledged in writing by the renter. It would be just awful for Spanish Springs to shut down the nightly live music in the square and not offer what was promised to Villagers as an entertainment option. Renters should have no voice at all about shutting down entertainment. Personally, I do not believe that would actually happen.

Last edited by coffeebean; 08-25-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Many cities have them . It's common
But.....many Villagers do NOT want to be a city, me included. I really liked the small town feel of The Villages before the huge expansion south. I try to ignore it all but I know it is still happening and we are no longer that small town warm fuzzy neighborhood we once were. Oh well.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnybelle View Post
Thanks for the great info - I just sent emails to all commissioners and copied your post and posted on Nextdoor.com

We need to start taking charge of our Hometown! It seems a lot of the newer residents are not aware and/or do not care...used to love this place until they tore down Katie Belles and Hacienda County club -and built South of 44 without providing the necessary facilites and golf courses...so crowded now that Mr. Schwartz would be so upset that his grandchildren are so disgracefully greedy and have spoiled our Hometown!

I would also like to know why we can't recycle - what a tremendous waste of all the plastic and glass bottles AND soda, food etc cans - wish we could find a place to take them. I heard they are saving The Villages $1million a year by using the new garbage company - really? -- would not be surprised if the "billionaire developers" had an interest in the new garbage company - I can only imagine the mountains of plastic bottles going up in smoke in one week. I'm not normally an environmentalist but this is CRAZY
I don't want to derail this thread (AKA going off topic) but.......those plastic bottles going up in smoke are creating energy. THAT, in a nutshell, IS recycling. NO???
Old 08-25-2021, 07:12 AM
Default How do apartments keep SS viable?

Can you all help me with how the apartments will keep SS viable? Please connect the dots for me.
Yes, i understand economics and the need for SS to be self sustaining. But how do the apartments help with viability of the town square? Are you thinking that the people in the apartments will patronize the business there? Can this really generate a lot of revenue for them? Do you think the Developer will lower commercial rent rates to make the business more viable?

I think the developer is an entrepreneur, pure and simple; and i don't hold that against them. They will do whatever, to make the most money possible, and if they can start w/ 2nd floor apartments and then little by little turn the entire square into apartments, they will. I gotta believe there is more money to be made on apartment rentals than commercial property.

I think changing the zoning rules for second floor apartments is the proverbial camels nose under the tent.

And yes TV is a very dense population. I am not in favor of making it even more dense. Overcrowding is a quality of life hit. That's one reason towns have zoning laws to begin with. Some towns have 2 acre zoning rules, just for that purpose.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Can't blame the developer for trying, can't blame the nearby residents from trying to stop it.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Can you all help me with how the apartments will keep SS viable? Please connect the dots for me.
Yes, i understand economics and the need for SS to be self sustaining. But how do the apartments help with viability of the town square? Are you thinking that the people in the apartments will patronize the business there? Can this really generate a lot of revenue for them? Do you think the Developer will lower commercial rent rates to make the business more viable?

I think the developer is an entrepreneur, pure and simple; and i don't hold that against them. They will do whatever, to make the most money possible, and if they can start w/ 2nd floor apartments and then little by little turn the entire square into apartments, they will. I gotta believe there is more money to be made on apartment rentals than commercial property.

I think changing the zoning rules for second floor apartments is the proverbial camels nose under the tent.

And yes TV is a very dense population. I am not in favor of making it even more dense. Overcrowding is a quality of life hit. That's one reason towns have zoning laws to begin with. Some towns have 2 acre zoning rules, just for that purpose.

Who is the target renter -- 55+ renters or all-ages renters? To me, the age of the renter is the biggest factor. Even with the 80/20 federal law, the Villages has always been a 55+ community.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:03 PM
Platinum member

Apartments in this area seems to be a good idea and would keep Spanish Springs much more viable.
Closed Thread

Tags
lake, lady, city, commissioner;, commissioner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.