CodeRED Weather Alerts . . .

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
How do you get codeRed and what does it cost. I have a rather sophisticated early alert storm tracking device I use up here in PA for alerting golfers of impending storms. It tells me the ETA, range and speed. I will be bringing it when we move (soon) but always like backup i.e. radar etc.

Our house watcher reports no damage in the last 3 waves thank the Lord.
This is the link to signup for CodeRED:

http://www.sumtercountysheriff.org/e...nt/codered.asp

It's not a paid service, other than our taxes....
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Gold member

I have a similar concern about the reliability of the weather radios. I have ours set up to only go off in the case of a tornado warning (I figure in the case of a watch there is really nothing that needs to be done). However, the last two warnings that were in our area the radio did nothing until well after the warning was lifted and THEN it started to beep.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

I'm finding this a very interesting thread. I was in TV last week house hunting and was a little confused about all the storm warnings - especialy since I'm not very familiar with the area yet. I knew the tornado warning was for Sumter County and that I was IN Sumter county, but I wasn't sure of much more than that. I was wondering if there was any early warning system - like sirens and what other precautions and/or preparations I will need to consider. This is going to take a little getting used to for a northern gal where bad weather warnings are usually for snow and ice.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I'm finding this a very interesting thread. I was in TV last week house hunting and was a little confused about all the storm warnings - especialy since I'm not very familiar with the area yet. I knew the tornado warning was for Sumter County and that I was IN Sumter county, but I wasn't sure of much more than that. I was wondering if there was any early warning system - like sirens and what other precautions and/or preparations I will need to consider. This is going to take a little getting used to for a northern gal where bad weather warnings are usually for snow and ice.
When I moved here from the west coast I, too, wasn't used to severe weather warnings for wind, thunderstorms, tornados. It's an easy adjustment and a weather radio helps let you know what's on the way. The alarm might be registering for the particular county you have it set for, but the storm may not be near you. I've also got a map so I can look for where reports on tv are saying the weather is. Actually, I've learned of lots of new cities, towns, areas. Seems like everytime there is a warning, new places are mentioned. It's like a little Florida geography lesson!
Took a bit of getting used to the lightning and thunder here, but not too long....we had so very little of it where I lived in southern CA.

Good luck with your house hunt. It's tiring, but lots of fun and especially rewarding when you find just the right place. Enjoy.

Last edited by pooh; 04-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM

taylor111947 - Here are my suggestions.

First -You should purchase a weather radio. I never owned one of these in upstate New York but have found it very handy for tornado watches and warnings here in Florida. You have to program the radio when you buy it. If you have any trouble programming it, the fire department will be happy to do it for you. The great thing about weather radios is that they turn themselves on when warnings/watches are posted in your area. This is great when you're sleeping and bad weather approaches.

Second - If you purchase (or rent) in Sumter County, you should sign up for Code Red. They will call your phone and play a recorded message when bad weather is imminent in your area.

Third - The local radio station is a good source of information in times of bad weather. Also, if you have Comcast cable TV, you can turn on Channel 99 which has radar pictures of the area and plays the radio station in the background.

Fourth - You need to designate a "Safe" room in your house. This is the room you would go to in the event of a tornado in your area. This should be an interior room (No exterior walls) and no windows. Most people choose a bathroom or laundry room. Because my laundry room and both bathrooms have exterior walls with windows, I chose a walk in closet next to my master bedroom.

Fifth - You should read information online concerning tornado and hurricane preparedness. You need to prepare hurricane preparedness supplies (bottled water, canned food, flashlights, extra batteries, first aid kit, etc). You can find lists of what you need online.

After you do all this, then just relax and have fun in The Villages.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Sage
Default What village is shown in this photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
We'd all rather sleep through it, but the storms that we're alerted for could and do spawn tornados. Not sure if your house would stand up to one that might hit it directly, even though your walls are strong and your roof is rated for strong winds. Were you here for the one that struck a few years ago, early in the AM? Lots of homes lost, and even concrete block homes in the tornado path were pretty damaged. It isn't my intention to frighten anyone, but storms can be severe here and damage can take place. Lightning can also ignite house fires and has. This area is one of the most active lightning areas in the US.
The Villages Florida
Pooh,

Do you know which village this house was located in shown in this photo of the tornado damage from a few years ago?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Pooh,

Do you know which village this house was located in shown in this photo of the tornado damage from a few years ago?
I honestly don't know what village it was, but I do recognize that it was a Lantana. The picture was posted in The Daily Sun and was one of many published after the storm. Mom in law was living in Sabal Chase at the time of the storm and we drove down to check on her.....on the corner of Canal and O'Dell Circle, villas there had been hit. The concrete wall around the homes was damaged. Wasn't a pretty sight, but luckly no one here in TV was injured.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I honestly don't know what village it was, but I do recognize that it was a Lantana. The picture was posted in The Daily Sun and was one of many published after the storm. Mom in law was living in Sabal Chase at the time of the storm and we drove down to check on her.....on the corner of Canal and O'Dell Circle, villas there had been hit. The concrete wall around the homes was damaged. Wasn't a pretty sight, but luckly no one here in TV was injured.
Pooh, Thanks for the info. Scary stuff. Chicago area temp. is predicted to hit 80 degrees this Sunday . and already the weather forecasters in Chicago are telling us to watch for possible tornados on Sunday afternoon/evening.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 AM

This home could have also been in Mallory or Caroline. There was a lot of damage there.

There are some photos of Mallory CC the morning after it was hit posted in my album; check them out. Scary stuff!

Schaumburger, I have gone through more tornado warnings since I've been in Florida (4 years) than I experienced in 20 plus years in Wisconsin.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
This home could have also been in Mallory or Caroline. There was a lot of damage there.

There are some photos of Mallory CC the morning after it was hit posted in my album; check them out. Scary stuff!

Schaumburger, I have gone through more tornado warnings since I've been in Florida (4 years) than I experienced in 20 plus years in Wisconsin.
English Ivy -- Been to Wisconsin many times. One of my sisters and her family live in Mineral Point, about 45 miles S.W. of Madison. My niece is a sophomore at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison. Go Badgers. Northwest suburbs of Chicago where I live don't get a lot of tornadoes, fortunately. Southwest suburbs of Chicago seem to get more.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post

English Ivy, Once I figured out how to check someone's photo allbum I just checked out your tornado photos of Mallory CC. Scary. Do you live in or near Mallory CC? I'm such a novice at posting photos on my PC and e-mailing photos. This week I had to e-mail some photos to a customer at work, and I had to ask a co-worker for help with this. Which is kind of embarrassing in this day and age.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
my point is if you get a call at 0300 that there is a tornado warning. are you going to stay up the rest of the night worrying? and when is the last time a house was struck by lightening and burned down"?
The smallest bathroom might be best protection so yes, wake me up, and I'll stay there until the all clear.

There have been several homes in the past three years that have burned to the ground from lightning.

I think at least one thousand homes (and villas!) were damaged in the groundhog day 2007 twisters. Only minor injuries in TV but a dozen or so fatalities in Lady Lake.

http://www.wftv.com/slideshow/news/1...?qs=;s=1;w=480

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Gr...rnado_outbreak

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32f1r_RWUm8&feature=fvwrel[/ame]
Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
The smallest bathroom might be best protection so yes, wake me up, and I'll stay there until the all clear.

There have been several homes in the past three years that have burned to the ground from lightning.

I think at least one thousand homes (and villas!) were damaged in the groundhog day 2007 twisters. Only minor injuries in TV but a dozen or so fatalities in Lady Lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32f1r...feature=fvwrel
Russ,
Not to be pickey but.......the article says there were 8 fatalities in the Lady Lake area.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Russ,
Not to be pickey but.......the article says there were 8 fatalities in the Lady Lake area.
that was from memory so I stand corrected.

my point was that tornadoes are not to be taken lightly regardless of construction value of home.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32f1r...feature=fvwrel
Thanks for posting the video, Russ.....that showed why I have a weather alert radio. I might not be able to protect my home, but I might be able to protect myself.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.