Coin values

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Default Coin values

I'm in possession of a large number of coins (1,800+) inherited from my mother-in-law. What is the best way for me to determine their value?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Google them.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM

Barnes and Noble has a few paperback books on coin values. It helped me evaluate my coins. There is also a monthly
Meeting of coin collectors around Daytona. I think the shows are the second or third weekend each month.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:49 AM

Just remember each coins value is determined by condition, date and mint mark. I'm not sure if there is a coin club in the villages but, if there is, they may be able to help. If you use a book, be very critical of the condition to determine the value. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,230 Posts

I tend to be a little paranoid, so if I were you, I would initially get a book, and do the initial research on my own. This allows you to keep your collection private. Once this is completed, then you would have an idea of the possible value of your collection, and you can make an educated choice of what to do next. If you get the daily sun, look for the coin club, they should be able to get you a lot more information. Then be very careful transporting your coins etc. I would NOT use Craigslist, and I would only use reputable dealer(s) that you have checked out first.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Just google each coin and there will be more than enough information to help you evaluate what you have.

I just went through the same process several weeks ago.
Proved to be fairly educational in the process.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Platinum member

The value of the coin is highly subjective. Unless you are an expert, you will probably over value the coin. I agree about getting a book on coins to get the value range. If they are US coins, get the Red Book of US Coins. To get a more exact value, I would suggest taking to Bob's Coins on 441 across from the Wal-Mart. The value you will receive will the wholesale value.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:21 PM

If they are rare coins, you need to get them graded (I collect baseball cards and PSA grades all mine and its the standard on eBay).

Look up what is the best grading company on eBay by searching like coins and seeing who grades them. You will see the real value there. Condition means a lot.

If they aren't graded and dirty looking, get what you can.
If they arer't graded but high on eBay, get them graded then sell.
If they are just old, do what you need, not every old coin is worth a lot.
If this is too much work, just sell them if you don't wanna hold on to them, like double there cost (so 1800 silver dollars, 3600$)

Bottom line is, if you aren't getting enjoyment from them, and don't wanna go the collector route, pass them on, someone will love them
Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 AM

PCGS is the top coin grading service.

Verify a coins value on ebay. This will tell you how much people are currently willing to pay for a coin.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As a former numismatist I can offer you this most sound advice. DO NOT clean or polish them in any way thinking you'll get more if they look pretty. This will destroy value quicker then dropping them from 10,000 feet. If you are in possession of old American gold pieces or Silver dollars these will bring the most in value. Especially the rare mints such as Charlotte, New Orleans or Carson City.
I left the hobby because it left me, seeking investors rather then true hobbyists.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Isn't the value stamped on the front of each coin?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Check out NGC.com and PCGS.com. These are professional coin graders. HA.com is a professional auction house that deals in buying and selling coins. There are a number of similar type graders and auction houses. Google as stated before will help.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Gold member

Depends also what type of coins. United States Mint coins are more valuable then (let's say) Franklin Mint coins etc, which are mostly sold for silver and gold content. Franklin Mint Proof sets from the 1970's are still valued at the same price you paid then, or even less. Need to sell when silver price goes up
Closed Thread

Tags
determine, mother-in-law, possession, values, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.