Cold Feet

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Default Cold Feet

Okay, we've found a pre-owned that we fell in love with on-line. We've been renting for two months in TV for the last six years, so we're pretty familiar with everything and really love visiting. However, when it came to signing the contract to purchase and realizing that we would be taking out a mortage. . . . I froze! The weird thing is, I can't figure out why!

the pros: We have good friend who live in TV and want us to move there.
We know about where we would like to live and we know what all
TV has to offer and really do love it.

the cons: We've decided to keep our home in OH so that would mean
taking out a mortgage, which we haven't had for a few years.
I must admit I love not having to watch my pennies as we had to
for many years with raising four kids.
We have six lovely grandchildren under the age of 8.

I can tell myself everything that I read here. . . how the kids will love to visit, etc., just can't seem to sign on the dotted line. My husband thinks there is something seriously wrong with me. I guess after I write this, it sounds like I'm not ready to make the move. . . and that makes me sad.

Did any of you have cold feet at any time in the process???

Feeling like a big chicken on Ohio.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I most certainly did. Now is not the time. There will be another house. I don't blame you for not wanting a mortgage.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Sage

You have to make up your own mind as to what is best for you. Some people cannot bear to move away from grandchildren - others know the grandkids will be fine and will enjoy The Villages on visits.

If you have made friends here, I would say this is the place to be. You have to live life for yourself and not for others. One of my relatives was all set to sign on the dotted line but then talked to her step-daughter in Minnesota who said we will not see you anymore. Well, they don't see each other much now. The cousin sold her home in Iowa and moved to Minnesota - even though she cannot stand the cold. She is sorry now she did not move to The Villages.

Live life for yourself. Make up your mind as to what is most important to you but do ask yourself each day, "Am I happy?" Hopefully, the answer will always be YES.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

Kepple:

I'm sure that many will jump in to reassure you that TV is Right For You!

Maybe I'm biased: today, 01/24, is the 7th anniversary of my closing down here! Haven't regretted a single minute.

My younger daughter, still in the St. Louis area, told me when I announced that maybe I'd move, "What's taken you so long? And, you know that we'll visit soon!"

Everyone's situation is different, but . . . I have no granchildren, but I am convinced that if I did, they'd love it here. Even if they could visit crusty old grandpa only once or twice a year!

Do not, repeat not, be afraid that you won't have any friends! Almost everyone I know here was worried about that at one time, but once they arrived they learned that that was a non-viable worry!

Tales abound: you arrive before your moving van, and spend a couple of nights sleeping on the floor; by the time your van shows up, you have worked out the kinks from sleeping on the floor and have at least two new friends - your next-door neighbors; after the van leaves, your neighbors may well appear armed with wine, cheeses, and welcoming arms; within the week, the whole street has made you feel at home, and you will begin to worry about how to re-pay their kindness!

Welcome to both TV and TOTV!

SWR
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Sage
Default Low mortgage rates....go for it!

I understand about the not wanting a mortgage thing. However, what you must realize is that mortgage rates are lower than ever and if you can sign on the dotted line and know that you will forever enjoy your purchase, I say go for it! The mortgage rates are 3% or less I believe. You may never get rates like this again. You'll make the right decision for you and your family.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Sage

Kepple, don't feel bad. Everyone has different circumstances and different mindsets. You did what you felt was best for you at this point.

And the cool thing is.........you can ALWAYS change your mind - when the time is right!

Bill
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default As much as I'd like you to join us in paradise....

I can also tell you about many residents I've meet that had regrets AFTER they signed on the dotted line, missed the grand-children, didn't click after the move, missed friends or family, you just have to go with your gut feeling and I know it will be the right decision!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Cold Feet? Understatement! We had rented for a few years and really had a great time here. My wife said if she ever decided to buy a place, it had to be a Model home, with 3 BR and 2 Baths, inside laundry, and fully furnished. Or it could be a pre-owned but had to be turn-key. Nice parameters and pretty safe, right?

Well, it was in March 2010 on a Monday, cool, cloudy day, so we went around to look at the Open Houses to fill in the afternoon. Went into a CYV, it was a Model, fully furnished with all the parameters she wanted. The salesmen said it was going to be sold that day. So my wife put our name down as interested, but we were number 2 on the list and one other after us (#3)was listed as interested. We were told the first one had 3 hours to decide and we should call the salesman at 4:50PM to find out where we were. So, at 4:55 PM I told my wife it's up to you since this home has everything you wanted, price was right, so she called and was told the first couple decided they didn't want it. Now it was our turn and we had 3 hours to decide and we had to call the salesman back that night. Talk about pacing, hand wringing, stomach in knots, etc, etc. Well it's all history, best move we made. But fast forward to now. We sold our CYV in December2011 and are building a new home in Sanibel and will take over in February. Talk about hand wringing, pacing, stomach in knots!! We are now beyond that and are really excited!!

We are still part-timers, our family and friends has visited and stayed with us. We have made so many new friends in TV. We look forward to come down here as well as we look forward to our home in NYS. It's a wonderful feeling to know you have a great place to go to when it's cold with wind chills, with horizontal snow. Gray sky every day, and sunshine is a rarity.

Your alternative is to write a check for $9,000 for 3 months rent. October and November is beautiful here, if you want to come down, its another $5,000.

If you are in a financial position to be able to go ahead, and your family is behind you, then all we can say is to live your life.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Sage
Default Livin' the good life

Well said bonrich. I agree with you. Gotta live your life. I know I will miss my family terribly but I think my husband and I will make some life long friends in TV and it will help us adjust to not being around our family. We will make a new family in TV....hopefully! Most people in TV understand what everyone goes through to move away from families. That's what makes the bonds and friendships so strong.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 PM

I can TOTALLY RELATE! After 5 years of planning and dreaming of living in TV, I was so excited when we could finally shop for our new home. We looked and looked and finally found the right house for us. We signed the papers and that night I freaked out. All I could think was "What have we done???" I had never had a moment of doubt from the first time we visted TV 5 yrs earlier and now I had developed a serious case of cold feet. It took both DH and I by complete surprise.

I too posted on TOTV, wondering if I was only the only one that had this type of reaction. Much to my relief I found many people had a similar experience. I am happy to report that the cold feet only lasted a few days. The night I had my "what have we done" meltdown, DH and I agreed that if we both didn't love it here after 1 yr, we would sell and move elsewhere. After we moved in, it took less than a week for me to know we made the right move. Now, we are two very happy frogs that thank our lucky stars everyday we get to live in such a wonderful place.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I will give you an alternate opinion. If your not sure, wait. Decide how much time you will spend in TV if you own. Remember you can rent forever. And by renting other then January to March, rent is reasonable. My favorite months are April and May and September and October. So spend the extra 6K it will cost you and rent two winter, two spring and two fall months. Maybe even for a couple years, but wait until your sure.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Gold member
Default MTG =Rent

I agree with I2RHD a good option.

We look at it this way the rates were low we got alot of home and a MTG to us is nothing more that deductible rent.

Whe we sold ( GAVE ) away our home we went into a nice rental home. It cost us as much as our home we own and we are getting no deductions.

Were just hoping it all works out. So far the Villages has not let us down.

Plus my son just took me out to dinner with the new grandbabies. Twins. And said Dad now I have a cool place to come visit you.

That made us feel good.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM

I want you to know I was in the same boat. I put my home in Ohio up for sale last February, and did my Lifestyle visit in April. While here, I went through the process of picking out a lot and designing a home. When I got back to Ohio I started the mortgage process for the home in The Villages. Not my idea to have a mortgage, but decided I needed to do it then or never. Home in Ohio hasn't sold yet, but I've been a Villager since June. You have to make that decision. I decided to just "go for it!"

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I will give you an alternate opinion. If your not sure, wait. Decide how much time you will spend in TV if you own. Remember you can rent forever. And by renting other then January to March, rent is reasonable. My favorite months are April and May and September and October. So spend the extra 6K it will cost you and rent two winter, two spring and two fall months. Maybe even for a couple years, but wait until your sure.
Chris,

I absolutely agree with you. Your common sense is always so helpful to all of us.

There are, and always will be plenty of homes to buy here in Lower Paradise.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Kepple, don't feel bad. Everyone has different circumstances and different mindsets. You did what you felt was best for you at this point.

And the cool thing is.........you can ALWAYS change your mind - when the time is right!

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Great advice.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.