Comcast in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2021, 07:21 AM

This is happening not only in the villages but all over. I have the same problem with my Comcast internet. I believe that Comcast is doing this on purpose because many people are leaving to go to streaming services. If we as a group don’t do anything then it will continue to happen.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM

What should a good speed be?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndar View Post
Fellow Villagers,
Many of you like myself have Comcast as our tv and internet provider. Also many of us are paying extra to Comcast for their Blast internet service, which provides speeds up to 300 mbps. I recently tested my internet speed and found out to my amazement that I was only getting 36 mbps. I called Comcast Internet repair and was told by their technical support person that my Comcast supplied modem was capped at 100 mbps. The Comcast technical support person arranged for a Comcast installer to replace my modem with a new up to date Comcast modem. Once this was completed my internet speed went from 36 mbps to 237 mbps. I called Comcast customer support and asked for a refund for the price of my monthly Blast service back to when it was installed. They refused a refund so I filed an FCC complaint, which is easy to do online. A Comcast senior customer service representative called me and said that their own internet technical support person was wrong about the modern being capped at 100 mbps. But she could not and would not admit or explain why my internet speed increased from 36 mbps to 237 mbps. Something is very wrong here and I believe Comcast does not want the expense to change out these old modems for new a new one unless the customer complains. I encourage all Comcast internet customers to check the speed of their service, which is free and if it is ridiculously slow like mine was to insist on a new modem and ask for a refund and if denied go and file an FCC complaint. If the FCC sees enough of these complaints and there is enough public exposure then Comcast maybe forced to do the right thing by its customers. I have included pictures of my old Comcast modem.
Go YOU TUBE TV and lose the cable! Streaming has more options and you can endless record shows! Visit someone's house that uses Roku .. you will be happier that you cut that damn cable , I've been using You tube Tv for years.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markers333 View Post
I also switched to T Mobile internet two months ago. Tired of ever changing fees and streaming issues, speed. You have to have T Mobile but man was I amazed at how fast and clear sound was, as well as the signal and speed. Comcast was holding us back. I will never go back to those rip off cable companies. T Mobile is about to go nation wide with their service - 50.00 NO OTHER CHARGES - unlimited , I had the Xfinity X1 do everything and T-Mobile internet is totally out performing them. I have 38 WiFi lights, pads, phones etc Unbelievable , I’m sooo happy
Excellent. What I also love is that when I travel north, I can take it with me. Just plug it in and it WORKS. However, that battery that keeps the setting could be improved. I have to put the settings back in if it stays unplugged more than a day.

Yesterday they raised the price by $10 for new customers because they are killing the market with this product. Those of us $50 people get to keep it at $50 though.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:38 AM

Strongly suggest you buy your own modem and router — pay back for the cost is approximately one year, you control the speed, etc., they typically will last in terms of being technology up to date for 5+ years.
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Go YOU TUBE TV and lose the cable! Streaming has more options and you can endless record shows! Visit someone's house that uses Roku .. you will be happier that you cut that damn cable , I've been using You tube Tv for years.
You still need internet -
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Wagner View Post
What should a good speed be?
depends on what you want to watch. for streaming you need 35-50 mbs. Remember your speed is almost 1/2 when connected by wi-fi. you only get the advertised speed when connected by ethernet cable with 1 device connected to internet. your speed is also reduced by the number of devices connected to your internet. I usually have 5 devices and 2 of them are streaming.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
. What are approx costs?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamers View Post
This is happening not only in the villages but all over. I have the same problem with my Comcast internet. I believe that Comcast is doing this on purpose because many people are leaving to go to streaming services. If we as a group don’t do anything then it will continue to happen.
Streaming service have nothing to do with the internet speed issue. You can't cancel internet then go streaming.....
Old 03-11-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Dumped Comcast and ATT smartest decision I’ve made here in villages.
What do you use for internet?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 AM

Well this is helpful. And disappointing.
Thank you!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 AM
Default Renting Equip from Internet Suppliers

Never rent hardware from your Internet provider. It is last generation junk and your rental rates would allow you to buy your own up-to-date hardware in less than a year. Buy your own modem and router. These days most of the stuff is plug-and-play that anyone can install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndar View Post
Fellow Villagers,
Many of you like myself have Comcast as our tv and internet provider. Also many of us are paying extra to Comcast for their Blast internet service, which provides speeds up to 300 mbps. I recently tested my internet speed and found out to my amazement that I was only getting 36 mbps. I called Comcast Internet repair and was told by their technical support person that my Comcast supplied modem was capped at 100 mbps. The Comcast technical support person arranged for a Comcast installer to replace my modem with a new up to date Comcast modem. Once this was completed my internet speed went from 36 mbps to 237 mbps. I called Comcast customer support and asked for a refund for the price of my monthly Blast service back to when it was installed. They refused a refund so I filed an FCC complaint, which is easy to do online. A Comcast senior customer service representative called me and said that their own internet technical support person was wrong about the modern being capped at 100 mbps. But she could not and would not admit or explain why my internet speed increased from 36 mbps to 237 mbps. Something is very wrong here and I believe Comcast does not want the expense to change out these old modems for new a new one unless the customer complains. I encourage all Comcast internet customers to check the speed of their service, which is free and if it is ridiculously slow like mine was to insist on a new modem and ask for a refund and if denied go and file an FCC complaint. If the FCC sees enough of these complaints and there is enough public exposure then Comcast maybe forced to do the right thing by its customers. I have included pictures of my old Comcast modem.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 AM

My relatives in Boca have basic tv service with Comcast and pay $20/mo. for it and the board pays for it. Because the board called comcast and said we have 400 homes that want your service and they jumped at the chance.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Daddy View Post
Thanks for the Link. I just tested Up at 15 and Down at 250. I am south of 44 and I have Spectrum. I had a tech from Spectrum at my house yesterday, related to a cable nicked by landscapers. He tested my feed from the street to home, and identified a portion of the cable (not in the area of the landscapers nick) as being a problem. He then installed a new cable for the whole length. Spectrum gets dinged by a lot of Villagers, but I love the company. Great tech support. Reasonable fees (for cable).
Spectrum also does NOT charge for a modem. It is included with the service. Wireless service DOES cost extra if you choose not to purchase your own router.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
I had Comcast/Xfinity. It is absolutely a rip off. Would not recommend them at all!

At the two year mark, they jumped up the prices, the telephone agents are terrible (they are very difficult to understand and they give out incorrect information) and their new service, Flex, is the worst! In my opinion.
When my 2 year contract was up I called customer service and kindly told them to remove their equipment from my house because I could not afford their fees. And what do you know, they gave me another 2 year contract at the same price
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, internet, mbps, modem, speed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.