Comcast vs Century Link Prism

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Comcast vs Century Link Prism

We have been with Comcast for years. We do not have a particular problem with them but it appears we can save a few dollars by switching to Century Link Prism. I checked with Prism and I can get a package very similar to Comcast and it satisfies our needs.

I would like to hear from those who have an opinion on the merits, or lack thereof, of either or both.

We do a lot of streaming (Netflix) so speed is important.

I am aware Comcast does not seem to rate well in customer service but this has never been a problem for us. I am not saying it couldn't be in the future and if Prism is superior in you mind I would like to hear it.

Hoping to hear from you.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Platinum member

Just pay attention to your bills with Prism. The rates seem to shoot up real fast. Introductory rates seem so great, but they only last for a short time.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Once you go PRISM you well never GO BACK!! GREAT speed, functionality the same as AT&T UVERSE AND you can walk in a store right in front of Target with enough Employees to offer exceptional Customer Service. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK TO COMCAST!!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

I have Prism and love it. That having been said, I never recommend switching to "save a few bucks." After listening to gripes (about *all* of the providers), people generally complain after a few months and wish they could change back.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
I have Prism and love it. That having been said, I never recommend switching to "save a few bucks." After listening to gripes (about *all* of the providers), people generally complain after a few months and wish they could change back.
Right, but my savings from DIRECTV was more than couple of bucks. Century Link only wanted a 12 month commitment, but are giving 24 months of promo rates. Also, get this, there is somebody available on the phone 24/7 for tech support. And I mean that they answer the phone right away...in English.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Sage

Be sure to nail them down on the speed. CenturyLink only offered 10 mbs to our address as of last month.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM

I agree, we have rented for the last two years an PRISM was GREAT. Comcast was ok but not the versatility. Not sure of cost but if it is close (5 or 10 bucks a month) Don't worry about it. FULL DISCLOSURE...worked for the company but wasn't familiar with PRISM
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Be sure to nail them down on the speed. CenturyLink only offered 10 mbs to our address as of last month.
I believe our area gets 10 Mbps with Prism. They say that is ample for streaming (Netflix) but I don't know how that compares with Comcast. Anyone shed any light on this. We use Netflix streaming a lot.

Sorry I mentioned "saving a few bucks". That is not my primary goal.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
Once you go PRISM you well never GO BACK!! GREAT speed, functionality the same as AT&T UVERSE AND you can walk in a store right in front of Target with enough Employees to offer exceptional Customer Service. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK TO COMCAST!!
Thanks mrich61. I didn't know it existed. I will visit them tomorrow AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Prism had exactly ZERO high definition or 3D on demand content when I signed up. I have fiber to the premise in St James and Internet was painfully slow compared to Xfinity. If audio and video quality is important, I'm not sure it's the right decision. Comcast has issues yes, but there products are 2nd to none.

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillagesAV.com View Post
Prism had exactly ZERO high definition or 3D on demand content when I signed up. I have fiber to the premise in St James and Internet was painfully slow compared to Xfinity. If audio and video quality is important, I'm not sure it's the right decision. Comcast has issues yes, but there products are 2nd to none.

Try BrightHouse. I fired Comcast last week.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Again if you live north of 466A you can't get Brighthouse. Comcast puts out 20mbps and that is slow. Brighthouse puts out 30mbps. Cox also put out 30-35 Mbps but unfortunately those of us north of 466A can only get Comcast or Century Link
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Platinum member

I get just under 30 Mbps through Comcast but Prism will be available in May north of 466. The cables have been installed over the past few months and just waiting for them to finish up.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillagesAV.com View Post
Prism had exactly ZERO high definition or 3D on demand content when I signed up.
They do now!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM

We're currently living in Amelia (moving to Hillsborough later this week) and have CenturyLink with Prism TV. We have had absolutely no issues with the service and the TV picture quality is great. High Def channels are excellent. As for internet speed, I just ran a speed test and we're getting just over 20MB at the moment. We also use Netflix and have never had a problem with streaming video.

We are transferring our CenturyLink service to the new house when we move. I know Brighthouse gets great reviews, but we like the wireless TV setup for use in the bedroom. No need to be connected to the cable jack, except for the main DVR/controller in the living room.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.