Comcast vs What???

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We are pleased with Bright House. We have internet and cable TV with them. Our phone service is NetTalk which plugs into our router and is around $40 a year.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
....I think CenturyLink owns Direcr TV but I'm not sure.
No, CenturyLink does not own DirecTV.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

If you are looking to switch because you are unhappy with Comcast, see above for options. But if you are switching because at the end of your 2 year contract they are increasing your cost big time... just call and ask for the retention desk and tell them you want a match for the best deal for new customers. e.g. Triple play at 99/mo for the next 2 years. They absolutely will give you the same deal as a new sign up.

Comcast Deals, Offers, Specials and Promotions | XFINITY®
Old 03-29-2015, 11:17 PM

Same thing happened to me. Not happy with Noncast TV. Switched to Direct TV & Noncast for Internet.
Direct Will run you $49 a month with a promo of 3 months of premium Channels but YOU must cancel it after 3 months or it just continues and you pay for it. Free install and no charge for equipment but a $19.99 charge for delivery ( go figure). The package for that price is the standard 149 or so channels. Contract is for 24 months & the $49 is for the 1st 12 months, $79 a month after that. If you push for it they will credit you $10 a month for being a new customer. Not a bad deal & you, of course can upgrade your service for free at any time. They are so accommodating when you talk to the sales people.
For internet I went with Noncast 50 megs no install or equipt. fee & no contract for $39 a month. I don,t need a phone line so didn.t get it but they are going to push you to get it installed if you need it good no extra charge still $39 i didn.t need it.
So the 1st year is about 90 bucks and another 30 after that.
Just had them installed yesterday so far so good. Well it wasn't so far just a couple of phone calls
Try to get the internet installed before the Direct TV, they will tie into your internet and you will be able to stream movies & shows from the net through your TV.
By the way the internet is all wireless.
Good Luck

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I live in the historic district. I've had a few neighbors get dishes and they hate them. Television goes out in bad weather and the internet is incredibly slow.

So for me it's Comcast or Comcast. I hate the company, but I love the go television reception and fast internet. I wish that we had the option of Brighthouse or Verizon Fios up here. I'd dump this company in a second.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Comcast internet only. Buy the box to avoid paying them rental charges. Put a splitter before the box and run a cable to your TV. Now you are getting 60 local TV channels for free. Add a Roku box, Amazon Fire Stick, Chromecast, or Apple TV. Stream what you want. Better yet, add a Slingbox to your system up north (if you are a snowbird) and ship ALL your TV channels down here (including DVR Recordings). Watch them on a computer, tablet, or send them onto your big screen down here with your Roku.

Monthly Comcast bill for the above - about $30.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM

It seems Comcast has the best internet speed for the money. I read where Charter Communications bought out Bright House. In SC, where I moved from, Charter was the best.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

I don't know how to act my age....I've never been this age before.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Hard to say - depends on if you are bundling services, perhaps. I have 40/20 megabits/sec with Century Link with no other services for $46/month including router lease and all taxes/fees. There is plenty of bandwidth for Netflix as it only needs 3-5 megabits/sec for HiDef. The upload bandwidth of plenty for Voice-over-IP phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Kay View Post
It seems Comcast has the best internet speed for the money. I read where Charter Communications bought out Bright House. In SC, where I moved from, Charter was the best.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:54 PM

We are moving to TV in October. We now have Verizon Fios for TV plus internet and phone service as a bundle. We read that Verizon is also available in TV. Replies would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Kay View Post

Charter has been consistently rated as THE WORST cable company by Consumer Reports. Had it for years before ATT U-Verse became available. Charter had 1980's technology and horrible customer service. Hope it doesn't rub off on Brighthouse. If it does, you'll be thinking Comcast right away.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 PM

If you can hold on for awhile, WOW/Wowway/WideOpenWest is supposedly coming to TV later this year. Don't know what the coverage area will be, but we have them here in Ohio and we love them. We have Comcast at our home in TV and have had Nothing But Problems.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.