Indoor Pool Meeting

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Exclamation Indoor Pool Meeting

For those of you interested in an indoor pool, please put this Wednesday, December 10th on your calendar. There will be a meeting of the Amenity Authority Committee and one of the items on the agenda will be INDOOR pools in TV.

The meeting will be held Wednesday, Dec. 10 at 9 AM at Savannah Center (1545 Buena Vista Blvd) in the Ashley-Wilkes Room. I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN INDOOR POOLS TO ATTEND.

This thread is not about causing controversy. We know all the pros and cons. This is just an informative thread for those who might want indoor pools in this wonderful place we live in. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Hope to see you there! Thank you.

Karen

(My name is Karen)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Karen - Do you know if anyone has prepared a presentation to the AAC re how to combat the 'cons' of the desired indoor pools?

Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

and think seriously about whether you would be willing to accept a surcharge on your amenity fees and or an admission or indoor pool membership to help pay for the indoor pool.

Of course those of us who do not want to use or need the facility would not be charged anything.

The money has to come from some where.....right?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Sage

Here we go.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Karen - Do you know if anyone has prepared a presentation to the AAC re how to combat the 'cons' of the desired indoor pools?
Carl Bell, of the AAC, is the one pushing for this. An unscientific poll on the on-line news is practically tied in support and non support. Bell would probably have the information you're looking for.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

everyone who is pro must remember that a significant con is the cost.

A great leveler for all who are in favor is to see if they are willing to support the program finacially.

There is only so much money in the current and future budgets. And there certainly is no need for the developer to consider doing it at this stage of completion of TV.

There is only so much money in the pot!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
everyone who is pro must remember that a significant con is the cost.

A great leveler for all who are in favor is to see if they are willing to support the program finacially.

There is only so much money in the current and future budgets. And there certainly is no need for the developer to consider doing it at this stage of completion of TV.

There is only so much money in the pot!!!
The AAC is only spending money left over from the lawsuit, and people living south of CR466 are not involved in the AAC in anyway.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the heads up Swim Dawg. I expect there are quite a few people that wouldn't mind spending money on a monthly or annual basis to have use of an indoor pool. Its really tough on lap swimmers in the summer. The outdoor pool water is in excess of 90 degrees as is the air temperature. And many people our age have skin cancer issues and need to be out of the sun. I always found it odd that an indoor pool is not being provided. The Villages put a lot of money into the Villages Wood Working shop, for example, and the members pay an annual fee to belong and to pay maintenance/upkeep. This would be a similar situation.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Thank you for sharing the information, Swimdawg. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Sage

Swimdawg, you represent a lot of us who like it!
Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The AAC is only spending money left over from the lawsuit, and people living south of CR466 are not involved in the AAC in anyway.
Will they be barred from using a new indoor pool??
Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Will they be barred from using a new indoor pool??
Attend the meeting on Dec 10 and find out.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

All, while I have no interest in this project, one other item that the people who go to the meeting should consider and discuss. There may need to be a LIMIT on the number of people that can be using the facility at any given time, and there may need to be a limit on the number of memberships available. Look at a very successful health club, they can only support a certain number of people in the building at any given time, however, I am sure they have more members then pieces of equipment. And look at the airline industry where they tend to overbook.
This is my only comment, and I am making this so that the interested parties think about these items before any decisions are made.
I wish all good luck with the project, I have my own village pool and my own hot tub, is the lanai, so I also most have an enclosed pool.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I expect there are quite a few people that wouldn't mind spending money on a monthly or annual basis to have use of an indoor pool.
There was a large INDOOR pool in the Sharon Morse Building in the area used by Lake Rehab. I don't know who owns the building or the pool.
It wasn't used for a couple of years (I saw it sitting unused with my own eyes in 2011 and again in 2012).
I heard the plan was to fill it in and put a cafeteria in that area. I don't know if that has been done.
I heard that they couldn't garner enough people willing to spend money on an indoor pool on an annual basis.
I have no idea if that is true, there may have been "political" reasons behind the pool not being used.
This is Hearsay from building employees, not fact.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-07-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Gold member

A couple of key points to consider:

An indoor pool facility should be by membership fee, and it should be for lap swimming and fitness.

Sport pool time is what is needed in both winter and summer, under cover and temp controlled. Many of us have to avoid the daytime sun, but the early darkness now thru March drastically cuts short the sport pool lap swimming hours available when classes end at 3pm.

And as noted above, the summer sun heats the water to almost 90, making almost instant heat exhaustion for lap or fitness swimmers.

As we pay greens fees to play the championship golf courses--whose operational costs are far beyond an indoor pool--people should be able to understand paying to use an indoor pool, too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.